Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Jul 2002, 09:14 (Ref:330012)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Series boss West quits BMP board, But vows to continue as BTCC chief

Just found this on Autosport.com

British Touring Car Championship boss Richard West has pledged his continuing commitment to the series - despite resigning from his role as a director of the board of British Motorsport Promoters.

It has emerged that West quit the board of BMP, the body that promotes the BTCC, two weeks ago. The move followed an incident at Mondello Park, where he is believed to have been unhappy with the conduct of some people working on BMP's behalf.

The resignation does not impact on his role as series director of the BTCC. Nor was it related to Rob Bain's subsequent decision to resign from his post with Octagon yesterday (Monday).

"I was upset to hear of Rob's departure," commented West. "His drive, enthusiasm and commitment to BMP, and to the BTCC, has been absolute since the very first day we met. Rob was one of the championship's staunchest supporters, but recent developments in no way alter the direction of the series. I am working flat-out to achieve the goals we set ourselves."

This is getting out of hand Rob Bain yesterday, Richard West tody, something is not right somewhere, but what is it.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 12:15 (Ref:330129)   #2
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could the 'incident at Mondello Park' be the much talked about safety car period so that officials could cross the track?
Old 9 Jul 2002, 12:37 (Ref:330150)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
We'll probably never know - but there are only 2 things that I am personaly aware of (there may well be more) of that happened at Mondello which specifically involved people working on BMPs behalf (as opposed to reps from UK Organising Clubs etc.) - the issue with the Safety Car and the issue with Toca Radio happily broadcasting away during the minute's silence for the 2 marshals that died in Donegal.

If one or both of these IS the reason, then hats off to Richard!

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 9 Jul 2002 at 12:39.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 17:20 (Ref:330331)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Are you sure about TOCA Radio. I'm sure I had my radio on (it normally is all the time) and I don't remember hearing anything.

If it was due to the safety car then I hope those really responsible have been appropriately dealt with as well.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 17:36 (Ref:330347)   #5
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I'd have to agree with redshoes about the TOCA Radio thing. Although I wasn't there, Alan Hyde & Co. would not have broadcasted through a two minutes silence, they never have done in the past, and as the tannoys normally broadcast what's on TOCA Radio I can't understand how it could happen.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 17:41 (Ref:330351)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They wouldn't have broadcast through it deliberately I'm sure. This does rely on someone in authority telling the radio guys that there will be a 2 minute silence.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 18:52 (Ref:330419)   #7
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No broadcasting went out during the two minute silence. This was rehearsed and carried out as planned by Alan and the rest of TOCA radio.

Last edited by Lorna; 9 Jul 2002 at 18:54.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 19:17 (Ref:330441)   #8
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorna
No broadcasting went out during the two minute silence. This was rehearsed and carried out as planned by Alan and the rest of TOCA radio.
I can confirm this to being the case. I listened to the whole broadcast and the minutes of silence were perfectly observed.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 20:16 (Ref:330496)   #9
Walt
Rookie

Walt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not too sure if I agree with Mr West's resigning. It wasn't him who was swinging his weight around. I think, as always the wrong people are doing the time for someone else's crime.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 20:20 (Ref:330498)   #10
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, certainly wasn't expecting to read this news when I logged onto the forums. Wonder what effect, if any, this will have on the BTCC.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 20:28 (Ref:330502)   #11
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope it just has a good effect - only ?one? thing to concentrate on - the BTCC and it is not the start of a downhill slide.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 20:35 (Ref:330508)   #12
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, from experience, you will find the resignations will be more than a few comments or glitches at race meetings. There is alot that goes on behind the scenes that we will probably never know about.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 20:41 (Ref:330512)   #13
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My thoughts too, Lorna.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 20:48 (Ref:330516)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
Wonder what effect, if any, this will have on the BTCC.
None at all. He's only stepped down from BMP, his position at TOCA remains unchanged. Expect an announcement/statement from Richard in the next few days.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 20:55 (Ref:330524)   #15
Carrie
Veteran

Yep, I realise his position at TOCA is unchanged. I was wondering at more underlying effects, ie relationships between BMP and TOCA. Not knowing quite how those fit together at present I'm probably talking a load of rubbish - nothing new there
Old 9 Jul 2002, 21:03 (Ref:330530)   #16
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMP was heavy on the TOCA side of things, could RW's resignation be a way of reducing the influence TOCA would bring to any planning meetings?
Old 9 Jul 2002, 21:04 (Ref:330531)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ok well my sincerest and abject apologies to Toca Radio. The information I received that they were broadcasting came from someone who claimed to have been standing next to one of the broadcasters who was talking into a microphone for the period of the 1 minute's silence.

The person who gave me this information is someone I would normally believe without question, but the fault lies with me for not getting my information straight.

Once again, my sincerest apologies to all at Toca radio and a total retraction of the comment.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 21:11 (Ref:330538)   #18
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reduction of toca and Octagon influence will be a good think for uk motorsport.

Perhaps then BMP will realise that they have other high quality products, that dont involve the arrogent self important attitude found within the management of toca.