Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Jul 2007, 17:30 (Ref:1968491)   #1
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO taking the reins of the JLMC

Seems the current series status became a "rien ne va plus"....

http://www.planetlemans.com/cmsv2/in...k=view&id=2970
Old 20 Jul 2007, 17:52 (Ref:1968506)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good to hear, I wonder if they can attract manufactuers without stepping on the toes of Super GT.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1968523)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Good to hear, I wonder if they can attract manufactuers without stepping on the toes of Super GT.
Might be an excellent alternative for Toyota, Honda, Super Aguri(?) and with Dome, Mazda, and with Aim coming soon it has potential. Maybe the ACO can help the series get a leg up by asking some teams to do a flyaway race in Japan to get some interest generated in ACO legal cars to race in the series.

L.P.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:10 (Ref:1968530)   #4
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Might be an excellent alternative for Toyota, Honda, Super Aguri(?) and with Dome, Mazda, and with Aim coming soon it has potential.
Super Aguri are F1 only, and realistically those manufacturers gain more from Super GT.
Quote:
Maybe the ACO can help the series get a leg up by asking some teams to do a flyaway race in Japan to get some interest generated in ACO legal cars to race in the series.
Teams are already struggling with the cost of a race in RIO, it'd be HARD to get people to go to Japan. As we are seeing in JLMC, does Japan need western sportscar racing or does western sportscar racing need Japan?
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:06 (Ref:1968569)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Super Aguri are F1 only, and realistically those manufacturers gain more from Super GT.
Really I didn't know that. NOT! The premise of the statement was as an alternative!! As to gain; you have seen a market analysis that states this? Where? Got a link?
Quote:
Teams are already struggling with the cost of a race in RIO, it'd be HARD to get people to go to Japan.
This may be the case, although I have a hard time with that as travel is mostly paid for so it is not that large of a difference than what a race on the Continent would be and would the teams complain as much about that? Also who said that the away race would be at Interlagos next year?

Quote:
As we are seeing in JLMC, does Japan need western sportscar racing or does western sportscar racing need Japan?
Do you know what the current offering of JLMC is doing to promote ACO style of Sports Car racing? How do you know what is or isn't being done to promote it?
As for the need, It would be a good thing for the Japanese manufacturers to have a series in their own back yard to help build and develop cars to promote their brand in other markets (N.America and Europe) that are larger than their home market!

L.P.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1968596)   #6
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Toyota has been talking about a return to Le Mans, so this might give them a push in the right direction. I think it will be good for Japan and Le Mans.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:22 (Ref:1968672)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb
Toyota has been talking about a return to Le Mans, so this might give them a push in the right direction. I think it will be good for Japan and Le Mans.
and with Honda / Accura already in the ALMS

Quote:
As we are seeing in JLMC, does Japan need western sportscar racing or does western sportscar racing need Japan?
Japanese auto manufactures needs western sportscar racing. the SuperGT races do not have any structerd racing out side of Japan and Indonesia. For Brand awarness on the " looks like street car" marketing, expanding the Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc, brand name they will need to adapt to FIA/ACO racing. Not the other way around.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:11 (Ref:1968701)   #8
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Much ado about nothing.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1968708)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Much ado about nothing.
Really informative and thoughtful post!

L.P.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1968713)   #10
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:

L.P.
Just as yours is, only mine is based on reality, not wishful thinking based on the opinion of the writer, who makes much out of nothing.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1968724)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Just as yours is, only mine is based on reality, not wishful thinking based on the opinion of the writer, who makes much out of nothing.
What? The reality that it wasn't in Popular Hot Rod!

L.P. [H]
Old 20 Jul 2007, 23:45 (Ref:1968747)   #12
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
It must have been, since you're responding to it!
Short and to the point.

Last edited by porsche45; 20 Jul 2007 at 23:53.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 05:45 (Ref:1968839)   #13
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Teams are already struggling with the cost of a race in RIO
Interlagos is in Sao Paulo....not in Rio.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 08:41 (Ref:1968901)   #14
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb
Toyota has been talking about a return to Le Mans
Oh dear...
Old 21 Jul 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1968919)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh goodie ... !!!
Old 21 Jul 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1968951)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota back at Le Mans? Sounds great to me.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1969227)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the 80's Japanease manufactuers ran big budget Group C sportscar and Group A touring car programs in Japan.

I don't see why the JGTC and JLMC couldn't complement each other, afterall the JGTC is becoming more DTM like by the year rather than a pure sportscar series.

Mazda, Honda, Nissan and Toyota could all have some involvement in ACO prototpye racing in the next 3-4 years, programs not necessarily based in Japan. All these car's could potentially race in the JLMC with home grown teams as in the Group C days.

Last edited by JAG; 21 Jul 2007 at 16:09.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1969289)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Japanese Tube Frame Fraud Championship (if they ever set foot in the UK, Trading Standards MUST sieze all the cars as they are not GT cars, they are basically protoypes, same with DTM) has a limited lifetime, I hope JLMC improves in quality - if it supported F1 at one or two races, 3 hours race after the GP it would really boost it.

With Toyota going to LM24 with a hybrid it seems that they may want to run their cars in the JLMC. Shame that there is no rule which mandates that all cars must run in ALMS, LMES, FIA GT or JLMC regularly to get in to LM24.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 18:14 (Ref:1969303)   #19
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Japanese Tube Frame Fraud Championship (if they ever set foot in the UK, Trading Standards MUST sieze all the cars as they are not GT cars, they are basically protoypes, same with DTM) has a limited lifetime, I hope JLMC improves in quality - if it supported F1 at one or two races, 3 hours race after the GP it would really boost it.

With Toyota going to LM24 with a hybrid it seems that they may want to run their cars in the JLMC. Shame that there is no rule which mandates that all cars must run in ALMS, LMES, FIA GT or JLMC regularly to get in to LM24.
Doesn't the JLMC and the JPGT series have heavy betting? Semi ( Koff) leagel gambling? And we all know that why "men" are part of the betting processed, sometimes things get "fixed."
Old 21 Jul 2007, 18:42 (Ref:1969323)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
point of order

Quote:
Super Aguri are F1 only
Incorrect Super Aguri do Formula Nippon and the IRL too.

Quote:
Japanese Tube Frame Fraud Championship (if they ever set foot in the UK, Trading Standards MUST sieze all the cars as they are not GT cars, they are basically protoypes, same with DTM) has a limited lifetime
Ummm what??? Super GT is doing very well indeed and gets HUGE crowds - 80,000+ at every race I've heard

Last edited by ss_collins; 21 Jul 2007 at 18:46.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 19:34 (Ref:1969361)   #21
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
When i said about japan needing western sportscars i meant supergt is the world's strongest gt/spoprtscar series.
the JLMC is a nice aside.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1969384)   #22
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
When i said about japan needing western sportscars i meant supergt is the world's strongest gt/spoprtscar series.
the JLMC is a nice aside.
Really??? and I thought after F1 the ALMS had the biggest fan base and the largest World Wide TV exposure / media presents.

According to Motors TV and Greenlight, it is the ALMS that has the largest world wide TV exposure.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1969511)   #23
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
According to Motors TV and Greenlight, it is the ALMS that has the largest world wide TV exposure.
Ha! But strongest? No way. Super GT is HUGE in Japan, and way bigger than ALMS is in US (relative). Nothing is gonna take SuperGT's crown. And can i just say, the ALMS is a big fat pile of s**t- how on earth has it got no entries?
Old 21 Jul 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1969524)   #24
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Ha! But strongest? No way. Super GT is HUGE in Japan,
and Japan can fit inside my state of North Carolina, so could ( no offence) the UK.

Maybe more on the scale of NASCAR racing, but it is still regional to Japan and Indonesia.

Have a link to their web site?? there might be some spectator info on it.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 04:17 (Ref:1969588)   #25
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't mind if the Japanese returned to ACO racing - as long as the ACO don't get in the mode of relying on manufacturers and then when they all leave (lets face it - its cylcical) the series all falls in a heap because there aren't the privateers left there.

And they could run both - Super GT to impress Japan and run a lower budget team in JLOC and then to Le Mans and LMS/ALMS for the Euro/USA markets - it does make some sense...