Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Apr 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2678939)   #76
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Here in the real world (outside of public service!) it's very straightforward, if you are at work you get paid, if you aren't you take holiday or unpaid leave. Same for snow or volcanos. You can whinge if you like....
sorry for straying off topic..but you're all really annoying me with this assumption.
This public sector (NHS) employee works to exactly those same rules. In fact the reminder came round on Monday. Maybe the only difference is we can work extra hours to "pay" the loss off.
I lost a day earlier this year because a private sector railway company could not provide a service during a period of light snow.

now, back to topic
Welcome back team, is that everyone home now?
Old 24 Apr 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2678941)   #77
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
sorry for straying off topic..but you're all really annoying me with this assumption.
This public sector (NHS) employee works to exactly those same rules. In fact the reminder came round on Monday. Maybe the only difference is we can work extra hours to "pay" the loss off.
I lost a day earlier this year because a private sector railway company could not provide a service during a period of light snow.

now, back to topic
Welcome back team, is that everyone home now?
I was responding to Woolley responding to Shelagh. I'd hope other places also work to the same rules. It strikes me as fair.

I've got a friend who works part time hours for the MOD, she irritates me immensely with her whinging about her work hours and appears to have no concept that the world outside is a pretty ****ty place to be at times, what with her flexi time etc.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2678953)   #78
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
The comment was not aimed particularly at Piglet, but the general misinformed "Daily Mail/Pistonheads" attitude that public service workers in some way have easier conditions of employment.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2678959)   #79
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well there was hope that everyone would be back by today, if anyone is at The Rock this weekend and sees Ian Watson, take it as a yes
Old 24 Apr 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2678970)   #80
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all came back on the same flight to heathrow Gary so we all landed yesterday then had a nice bus ride to Manchester
Old 24 Apr 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2678996)   #81
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli View Post
We all came back on the same flight to heathrow Gary so we all landed yesterday then had a nice bus ride to Manchester
Thats brill news
Old 24 Apr 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2679030)   #82
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Swallo
Where is the group photo to be published?. link please
Old 24 Apr 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2679033)   #83
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss24355261 View Post
Steve Swallo
Where is the group photo to be published?. link please
I am in the process of uploading photo's now will post link when done and this will include the group photo. if anyone wishes a high res copy please email me at fazza (at) talktalk.net

regards
Allan (meercat) Farrimond
Old 24 Apr 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2679047)   #84
gutsymini
Rookie

Wales
Carmarthen
gutsymini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just to say a massive thanks to the ADMM, Ian, Dennis and all the others that was looking after us and keeping us very well informed of what was going on, and getting all safely back.
THANK YOU
Old 24 Apr 2010, 18:26 (Ref:2679049)   #85
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza View Post
I am in the process of uploading photo's now will post link when done and this will include the group photo. if anyone wishes a high res copy please email me at fazza (at) talktalk.net

regards
Allan (meercat) Farrimond

As promised

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=667370666
Old 25 Apr 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2679252)   #86
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A big thank you Dennis and Ian for ensureing we got home safely and also all of the fellow marshals who I was stranded with making the extra 5 days enjoyable.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 07:59 (Ref:2679752)   #87
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spent most of the extra days with Phil (Uncle Tom) and Mike, We had some great trips out and it was very enjoyable especially when all the marshals met up in the evenings for a few drinks. I was glad to eventually get home to see the wife and kids but have to give a massive thanks to the way we were looked after while we were stranded.

The Desert Safari 6 of us did on Thursday was fantastic!!! (Thought we would cram that in on our free evening as we were going home on Sunday )

Personally I had no worries regarding our stay or planning our return home, Dennis and Ian did all the hard work for us allowing us to make the best use of our time while we were there.

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 28 Apr 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2681210)   #88
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a member of the team that were stranded in Abu Dhabi do you think we should start our own posting?
Old 29 Apr 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2681534)   #89
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza View Post

Was on the BARC site the other day and see they have got the pic on there aswell, which was good to see
Old 29 Apr 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2681537)   #90
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
As a member of the team that were stranded in Abu Dhabi do you think we should start our own posting?

personally i think it would be best kept on here, otherwise you end up with numerous threads, this way we all know where to look.
But like all others, i think Ian, Dennis & Co done an excellent job as always, in dealing with the situation & keeping us updated.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2681594)   #91
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 29 Apr 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2681697)   #92
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A copy of my email sent to Ian on my return to the country:

"Ian,

I just wanted to drop you a short email to thank you for the efforts that you, Dennis and the rest of the team (both within BARC and ADMM) put in to making sure that things went so smoothly for us all stuck in Abu Dhabi over the last few days. I am positive that the ease with which the few days passed for us all is in total contrast to the behind-the-scenes efforts you all put in, and I hope that you all get a chance to rest, recuperate and look back on the event with the same enthusiasm as I did.

It being my first trip to Abu Dhabi, I did not know what to expect from BARC, the Circuit, the Racing and the Accommodation. My intention was to go along and fully enjoy whatever opportunities the weekend gave me, and I think the last week has certainly given us all lots of opportunities. The organisation by BARC was incredible - you and your team should take exceptional credit at making the whole thing run so smoothly. The accommodation was superb, and more than anything I expected for such a large group of marshals helping out at an event of this kind. The circuit and the racing was truly out of this world and more than anything I could have imagined - the pictures that i have seen on TV just do not do the location any justice at all.

Again, many thanks for inviting me on this trip, and I hope that I get the opportunity to attend others in the future.

Many thanks,
David Patrick"