Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Sep 2004, 21:54 (Ref:1110716)   #1
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Las Vegas Race Editorial

Check out this commentary by a Las Vegas sports reporter.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...517581630.html

I thought that is was a great article and hopefully it can translate to a long association with LVMS!
Old 30 Sep 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1111334)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for posting it. Nice to see that the race got positive press (even though I don't agree that it deserved it). If the "sources" are correct CC paid $500k for ~10k of fans to witness the end of the race.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:04 (Ref:1111468)   #3
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
I will say that what did suck about the whole thing was that the CC race finally got underway at around 10:20 PM, and ended just before midnight.

The race went at a decent pace, although the length of the first yellow was ridiculous. But being a combination that some people were tired and wanted to leave, and that others wanted to do things in Vegas on a Saturday night didn't really help Champ Cars.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1111873)   #4
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if Champ Car was the undercard, which currently it is when paired with anything NASCAR would yield a much larger crowd. Judging by the throngs of people exiting the grandstands at the end of the race it was more than 10K seriously.

I must say being my first oval (Champ Car or otherwise), the sound of thee Champ Cars going around in a pack can only be described as haunting. It was an eerie howling through the air on a night with no breeze.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 06:28 (Ref:1111946)   #5
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by brightline
I must say being my first oval (Champ Car or otherwise), the sound of thee Champ Cars going around in a pack can only be described as haunting. It was an eerie howling through the air on a night with no breeze.
Eerie howling... don't scare me!

That's a cool description though. Was it a good thing, in your opinion?

My sister and I thought that the trucks sounded like growling tigers, while the Champ Cars sounded like a swarm of bees.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1112714)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
There were more than 10K at the end of the race. No question in my mind. It took us at least an hour to get out of the parking lot.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 05:58 (Ref:1113065)   #7
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
Barber Dodge = Swarm of bees.

I thought the Champ Cars were totally cool. I've seen them before but have never been to an oval. It reminded me (kind of) like some of the storms we've received here lately. The wind howling just enough to make you nervous and keep you on the edge of your seat, but not bad enough to pull the matress over your head in the bath tub.

In fact while we were in Vegas we were stuck for 2 extra days because of Hurricane Jeanne (which took out a tree and landed on our roof, no significant damage). In fact it was hitting our area while me Dad and I were at the race. I suppose it was better than being held up in a shelter or a closet.

In fact does anyone have a tape of the race, mine didn't record because we had no power until we got back to Florida Tuesday morning. I will send cash or paypal which ever is easier.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 06:09 (Ref:1113074)   #8
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Brightline,

Thank God that you are all okay in Florida. My prayers are with all of you.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1114042)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
There were more than 10K at the end of the race. No question in my mind. It took us at least an hour to get out of the parking lot.
Your parking lot testimonial is actually very good evidence that there was indeed more than the press has been reporting. I can remember being at a concert with ~10k people with only two exits from a parking lot and a horrible traffic light throttling traffic, I got in the car at the worst possible time and it was no where near that long.

Last edited by Snrub; 3 Oct 2004 at 15:16.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 00:40 (Ref:1114460)   #10
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
Although there were throngs of people exiting LVMS hires air force personnel to work the gates and elevators and traffic flowed quite well once you were out of the gravel lots, which were pretty unorganized and terrible on the feet.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 06:36 (Ref:1114580)   #11
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Oh the gravel lots were just awful! I saw this one row where this one truck was parked perpendicular to the rest of the row. And then this other car parked in a space that was suppossed to be left as an access lane to the other rows.

At least they had the portable toilets there to use. It IS a long walk!
Old 6 Oct 2004, 00:07 (Ref:1116472)   #12
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
Still the worst/most poorly organized parking that I've seen is Sebring. If you don't have a reserved space somewhere along the fence or aren't in a special lot or corral, your car will be wedged in so badly you can't get out. Don't even get me started about how it is when it rains and the rednecks come out and start mudboggin' at night through all the tents.

As Napolean Dynamite would say: "ahhh...idiots." For those that haven't seen that movie it's highly recommended if you like interesting yet mindless comedies such as Office Space, Election, Big Lebowski, Clerks, Super Troopers, etc. Even though it's an MTV film it gets my pick.

Anyways, those parking lots really suck, and there were only 2 portable toilets in our area with a line of about 20 people. We just held it until we got inside about a mile away.