Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Jun 2015, 14:37 (Ref:3545206)   #576
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So the list below suggest some headlines after the race. If you are Nissan it's not really the ROI you were hoping for.
  • Winner
  • Ford Announcement
  • GT Winner
  • Nissan P1 unreliable and slow at La Sarthe
  • Some unforeseen dramatic event

Putting a French gamer in the race is good PR plan by Nissan to keep themselves in the headlines and make themselves the darlings of the French Media for the couple of weeks.

As an enthusiast that was looking forward to seeing Björn in that car though... Never nice to see someone get their seat sold out from underneath them. I really hope Björn sees some of the money that seat was bought with.
Old 5 Jun 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3545216)   #577
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
So Greaves drop away from being one of the favourites?
A big shame for Wirdheim.
Paletou has impressed everyone he's worked with so far so I wouldn't be so quick to judge him. Yes, it is hard to see how he can match Wirdheim's consistency (especially with the lack of experience) but there's a big gap between "not as good as Wirdheim" and "not good". I'm gutted for Bjorn but I Nissan wouldn't have pulled the strings if they didn't think Gaetan was up to the job.

And as GT3.14 surmises, it's a good way to keep the home press onside. This is Le Mans after all, you should always have a backup plan
Old 5 Jun 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3545268)   #578
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Paletou has impressed everyone he's worked with so far so I wouldn't be so quick to judge him. Yes, it is hard to see how he can match Wirdheim's consistency (especially with the lack of experience) but there's a big gap between "not as good as Wirdheim" and "not good". I'm gutted for Bjorn but I Nissan wouldn't have pulled the strings if they didn't think Gaetan was up to the job.

And as GT3.14 surmises, it's a good way to keep the home press onside. This is Le Mans after all, you should always have a backup plan
Indeed, I don't doubt that Paletou has talent, but he's very unlikely to be at Wirdheim's level at Le Mans (be that because of differences in experience, talent or both), so it can't really be denied that Greaves have dropped out of the group of favourites, surely?
Old 5 Jun 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3545295)   #579
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Indeed, I don't doubt that Paletou has talent, but he's very unlikely to be at Wirdheim's level at Le Mans (be that because of differences in experience, talent or both), so it can't really be denied that Greaves have dropped out of the group of favourites, surely?
Actually I'd agree with you, it's more that I don't think the gap between the "favourite" entries (#26 & #28 G-Drive, #34 Oak, #36 Signatech, #38 Jota, #46 Thiriet) and the rest is all that large. I would now put the Greaves entry in the "second group" with the ESM cars, KCMG & Murphy but in such a tight class it doesn't take much to cross the gap.
Old 5 Jun 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3545303)   #580
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As far as I'm aware, they only did it in order to give us something to talk about while things are a bit quiet.......
Old 5 Jun 2015, 20:32 (Ref:3545331)   #581
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To their credit, Greaves won P2 in 2011 with Olivier Lombard when he was a 20 year old Le Mans rookie so we can't really count any one out.

As good as Björn? Unlikely. Good enough? Perhaps.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3545390)   #582
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Gents(and the odd lady), this year I'll be attending the race together with my girl again since 5(!) years. That what ya get when you get a child.

She's allways seen the starts and finishes of the race from a grandstand. This year, we're lucky we're there together. Grandstand tickets are simply not in the picture, financially. What spots do you advice to whitness the start and finish of the race?
I've seen it once from Mulsanne, which I thought to be far less spectacular then seeing it around the start/finish area. Maybe Arnage? Tertre Rouge?
We don't want to stand in the thick crowds of the start/finish straight.

Any advice'll be most welcome.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 01:00 (Ref:3545392)   #583
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I would try the Forza chicane for the start.
Adrenaline is high and maybe some good passing
there. Seems like a direct shot back to the front
straight from there as well.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 05:16 (Ref:3545407)   #584
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched the start for two years from the bank on the outside of the Ford Chicane. Not sure what the situation is going to be like down there now that Porsche have taken over. If I couldn't watch from the main straight. I'd go down to Tertre Rouge, personally....
Old 6 Jun 2015, 07:57 (Ref:3545433)   #585
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watch from the Essex, great to see them appear under the Dunlop bridge and generally some action there.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 09:43 (Ref:3545460)   #586
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The second bank back (behind the new-ish trees) at TR was good last year. Plenty of fast track to see and a sort of panoramic view.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 18:04 (Ref:3545592)   #587
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
The second bank back (behind the new-ish trees) at TR was good last year. Plenty of fast track to see and a sort of panoramic view.
will be there again this year, great view as the cars get up to speed and fight for the lead on the first lap
Old 6 Jun 2015, 21:29 (Ref:3545648)   #588
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks so far. I contemplating to go to Arnage, since we have bikes, it should be easy to reach in time. Anyone seen the start from there?
Old 7 Jun 2015, 10:04 (Ref:3545759)   #589
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Thanks so far. I contemplating to go to Arnage, since we have bikes, it should be easy to reach in time. Anyone seen the start from there?
I have watched the start from Mulsanne and even by that point the field spread is quite significant so you don't get the drama of everyone on top of each other that you get from the start line to Tertre Rouge.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3545761)   #590
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I have watched the start from Mulsanne and even by that point the field spread is quite significant so you don't get the drama of everyone on top of each other that you get from the start line to Tertre Rouge.
Good point. I'm starting to lean towards the Tertre rouge area.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 10:54 (Ref:3545767)   #591
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Thinking about it perhaps i have over played the TR viewing it might get a little full, so lets just say it is horrible there and the new trees will have grown up to obscure the view, But if you do happen to be there look out for the resident grouch standing on the banking as usual at 3.00pm
Old 7 Jun 2015, 12:01 (Ref:3545775)   #592
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For me if you're waiting for the start it's great to have a big screen to look at so you can watch the build-up and catch all the wild first lap passing moves.

The first two years we went we rocked up early at the Dunlop Chicane with chairs. If you're there early enough you should be able to get some space along the barriers in front of the grand stands.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 12:51 (Ref:3545783)   #593
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've tended to watch from the start at Arnage, and yes, the field has spaced out quite dramatically by then usually.

Of course there was the one year that the heavens opened just on Arnage and Porsche Curves, while the approach through Indianapolis was blazing sunshine - now THAT was exciting...
Old 7 Jun 2015, 22:00 (Ref:3545928)   #594
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Thinking about it perhaps i have over played the TR viewing it might get a little full, so lets just say it is horrible there and the new trees will have grown up to obscure the view, But if you do happen to be there look out for the resident grouch standing on the banking as usual at 3.00pm

That hat should be spottable.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 22:08 (Ref:3545932)   #595
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
By the way, does anyone now the placement of the bigscreens for this year?
Old 8 Jun 2015, 05:08 (Ref:3545998)   #596
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's definitely one on the roof of the Row-of-Woe as I've seen it in Nissan's pit garage photos.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 05:56 (Ref:3546010)   #597
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, that's the one we'll be watching.....
Old 8 Jun 2015, 06:14 (Ref:3546014)   #598
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep, that's the one we'll be watching.....
like everything in the row of woe it will probably break down soon after the start
Old 8 Jun 2015, 06:19 (Ref:3546017)   #599
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hopefully not!
Old 8 Jun 2015, 07:23 (Ref:3546033)   #600
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
By the way, does anyone now the placement of the bigscreens for this year?
Endurance-Info :
13 screens :
  • 1 at Tertre Rouge
  • 1 at Passerelle Dunlop
  • 1 at la Chapelle
  • 4 in the pits straight
  • 2 in the village
  • 1 in animations village at Karting
  • 1 at Maison Blanche track
  • 1 at Mulsanne
  • 1 at Arnage