Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 Jun 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1010652)   #1
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
green bit ours black bit yours

i know we are all familiar with the usual green bit ours etc but has anyone ever considered why the drivers keep on venturing onto 'our green bit'? how about maybe its because generally tyre walls/conveyor belting is also BLACK? so drivers take this as being part of their 'black bit?' answer... lets get the circuits to paint the tyre walls then problem solved!! anyone any other thoughts?
Old 21 Jun 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1011130)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice theory, but I suspect the real problem is an imbalance in the ratio of optimism to talent.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 07:13 (Ref:1011647)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
If it's a Formula Ford or Formula Vee, we generally believe that the car is trying to get back to its "inner lawnmower"
Old 22 Jun 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1011657)   #4
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Nice theory, but I suspect the real problem is an imbalance in the ratio of optimism to talent.
I think you hit the nail om the head
Old 22 Jun 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1011723)   #5
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hahahahaha........
At Prescott they have done just that............Painted the tyres green to blend in with the surroundings..

Dont work tho.............Lol
Old 22 Jun 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1011761)   #6
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put armco on the edge of black stuff and remove all white lines and kerbing as the race drivers code states that these must be driven over.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1011766)   #7
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better still put two slots in the track, replace the driver with a tailors dummy......and call it F1!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1013151)   #8
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do the drivers spend too much time practicing on Playstation games where it doesn't matter if they get on the grass! Either that or its another pork pie thing!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1013177)   #9
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True story

I was told by driver a few weeks back that when he learned he was racing on the International Cicuit at Silverstone, he spent a week practicing on his sons Playstation.

Did he receive a shock on the first lap of practice when he found out the the International Circuit was NOT the Grand Prix circuit he was expecting.

Old 23 Jun 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1013433)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I've had one who spun into the tyres at Oulton:
"I've practiced a lot on the Playstation and haven't crashed once"
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1013885)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I met one who'd learnt Silverstone off TOCA2, and lost it on the first out lap when he went for the Ireland Esses, only to find they weren't there any more!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1013942)   #12
blue nose
Veteran

I had ago of Oulton in a Van Diemen on the Playstation.... dont know which Oulton they ment!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 22:42 (Ref:1013985)   #13
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Griffin
Put armco on the edge of black stuff and remove all white lines and kerbing as the race drivers code states that these must be driven over.
:confused: in the US, the tire walls are painted (sometimes). Orange traffic cones are also widely used (and abused). I am very tempted to fill one or two with concerte and see how long it takes the drivers to `respect' them.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 22:47 (Ref:1013988)   #14
blue nose
Veteran

I feel sorry for the plastic posts on the apexes as they do not live very long...RIP
Old 24 Jun 2004, 00:28 (Ref:1014053)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
We've long been suggesting putting a solid steel bar behind one of them. Don't tell the drivers which it is, and change it every session. That way they've got pretty good odds on getting away with a mistake, but they're sure not going to risk charging them deliberately!
Old 27 Jun 2004, 12:15 (Ref:1017393)   #16
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a note from a teenager- I have seen drivers trash marshal's posts on TV, so be warned, what starts a cones and barriers could soon turn into your post!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1020342)   #17
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't panic though, it only happens rarely!!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1020386)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Thanks for the reassurance, but you'll find most of us here have either been there, or know someone who has! The general rule is "If they can see you, they can get you" and since marshals' posts are designed to be visible, then it's logical that they're also hittable!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1020450)   #19
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Just be glad you don't have Tiff Needell roaring round!! I've seen him on TV and he is a COMPLETE AND TOTAL NUTTER!!!!!!!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 20:03 (Ref:1020569)   #20
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariFanatic
Just be glad you don't have Tiff Needell roaring round!! I've seen him on TV and he is a COMPLETE AND TOTAL NUTTER!!!!!!!
Ah but we do! He still races in all sorts of series and he's no more a complete and total nutter than any other racer! (or marshal come to that!)
Old 30 Jun 2004, 05:25 (Ref:1020970)   #21
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Aah, but Jeremy Clarkson is not a racer!! So do you run for cover if you see him coming your way? I know he has used different tracks for filming before, and I also know he lacks talent. As for the Playstation thing, I've driven the BGP loads and I still crash all over the place!!