Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Aug 2021, 11:05 (Ref:4069968)   #2101
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it didn't take the WEC feed crew of Addison, McNish, Turner and Gavin long to figure it out. A quick look at the pit stop cycles soon pointed to fuel or Battery so when batteries were not changed the game was up really..I found the Eurosport commentary painful and kept their visual whilst alternating between RLM and WEC audio.
Old 23 Aug 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4069977)   #2102
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Anyone else notice when Frijns was going through all the problems he had during the race, TK then pointed out he won? Reminds of that famous Fry and Laurie sketch!
Old 23 Aug 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4069982)   #2103
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I flicked between the RLM and Eurosport audio while watching the race breaks between the interminable ads on Eurosport.

I thought that Jake Sansom and Charlie Richardson did a pretty good job for their first time at Le Mans, Charlie's racing brain was useful in terms of strategy.
Old 23 Aug 2021, 16:11 (Ref:4070020)   #2104
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the Eurosport commentary painful and kept their visual whilst alternating between RLM and WEC audio.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, within 10 minutes of watching on Wednesday night I'd turned the volume off and was getting the Laptop set up for RLM.
Old 23 Aug 2021, 17:05 (Ref:4070024)   #2105
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Unfortunately, Discovery owns Eurosport and that's who they had Motor Trend source for their commentary (video feed was controlled by the ACO and French TV). I believe that the deal that the ACO have Discovery for LM and the WEC and Motor Trend have their own web streaming app is why (or a big part why) the WEC app is geoblocked in North America.

It's like back in the Audi R10 days where people watching LM in NA when it was on Speed Channel complained about the coverage (I liked their commentary, but their NASCAR coverage commitments due to being owned by Fox Sports butchered LM coverage). However, when people from NA asked about Motors TV back then from people in Europe, the European fans often said that they would rather have had Speed's coverage, not just with Eurosport, but even Motors TV.

IMO, Discovery need to bite the bullet, and either stream video and commentary from the WEC app or at least rely on RLM for commentary, but I doubt that'll happen until either Eurosport loses rights to European coverage for LM or the ACO move the LM24 and WEC away from Discovery/Motor Trend in NA, though, realistically, where else would they go? Motor Trend is the only option to show most of the race right now on TV in NA. NBC Sports is dying and will be largely replaced by NBC's/Comcast's Peacock streaming service. ViacomCBS won't block out 25+ hours of coverage on CBS Sports Network, or shuffle it between like CBS SN and MTV (granted, last things I'd watch on MTV were Eye Candy and Beavis and Butt-head, and they haven't shown much anything directly music related in like 20+ years, anyways). And Fox Sports will butcher coverage by moving it between FS1 (formerly Speed Channel) and FS2 (formerly Fuel).

The ACO can give up on cable and satellite TV and just stream it on the internet, and make it available for smart TVs or streaming devices like Roku or Amazon Fire, but I don't think they will any time soon. Motorsports in general seem to be stuck on trying to make network TV and/or cable and satellite TV work, though it's all declining due to streaming and the use of smart TVs and computers to watch TV now. IMO, it's sort of like when Netflix blew up whey they moved towards streaming instead of just being a DVD on demand service, and Blockbuster Video died out except for one location in Oregon. Blockbuster just got on the DVD by demand and steaming stuff too late, and paid for it.

Last edited by chernaudi; 23 Aug 2021 at 17:21.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 14:53 (Ref:4070143)   #2106
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
So uh, Motortrendondemand had the Bonus World feed, which was WEC comms. I used it all race long.

Not sure what options were on traditional TV, but in today's age it's too easy to get something from a phone or computer to show on a TV screen.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4070153)   #2107
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
IMO, WEC app needs to be available in NA on smart TVs or stuff like Roku or Amazon streaming. Is Motor Trend OnDemand avialble on smart TVs or streaming devices? I'm of the opinion that it's bullcrap to have to use two devices to get the footage and commentary that I want. Doesn't help, either, that I'm seemingly the only person in the western world who doesn't have a mobile phone, and I don't feel like lugging a laptop in my space restricted living room to watch. And I prefer not to run my laptop for 25+ hours straight if I can avoid it.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 16:04 (Ref:4070162)   #2108
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Well a lot of that is unfortunate. But the exact thing you want to watch is available to you. A lot of different ways.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 17:51 (Ref:4070175)   #2109
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Setting restrictions that would limit how the service is designed to be used is 100% a you problem and modern distribution has left your preferred consumption behind, and it's not going back. Surprised it has not been attacked get given the power, and cooling, needs of our streaming demands but we pick and choose our CO2/energy battles on personal comfort sometimes. I choose not to pay for the Motor Trend app as a me thing, but that's because last time I did they charged me every day for 11 days for a new subscription. It was refunded but an annoyance. And RLM with Motor Trend TV through YouTube TV was fine for me as I was not 100% paying attention.

That said, for US market watch for the holiday and Father's Day annual subscription and it's been 10 bucks at times for the year. Now the app has been improved and is finally somewhat stable, last year it was BAD.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 20:10 (Ref:4070544)   #2110
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I have just watched F1 reporter, Will Buxton's film about his First experience of Le Mans on motorsport.tv ... I have to Say it captures the Le Mans spirit as well as any film I have seen ...
Old 28 May 2022, 13:22 (Ref:4111616)   #2111
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*bump*

I can see the listings on Eurosport, but only when I search for it. But it is there. Woo.

Anyone know of a decent link to the full schedule?
Old 28 May 2022, 13:36 (Ref:4111618)   #2112
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I can add here that we will be broadcasting all Free Practice sessions on LM24 TV plus both Road To Le Mans races and the second Ligier European Series race

Eurosport and MTOD will be taking our commentary this year
Old 28 May 2022, 14:14 (Ref:4111623)   #2113
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds good. Thanks.
Old 28 May 2022, 14:51 (Ref:4111631)   #2114
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Darn it, I won't be at home to watch it this year...........
Old 28 May 2022, 15:08 (Ref:4111635)   #2115
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Darn it, I won't be at home to watch it this year...........
Strangely enough i will not be home to watch it either, see you in France Andrew
Old 28 May 2022, 16:52 (Ref:4111647)   #2116
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Old 29 May 2022, 09:46 (Ref:4111698)   #2117
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I assume Quest will show parts of the race again?
Old 4 Jun 2022, 10:52 (Ref:4112819)   #2118
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Noticeable step up in quality in the official streaming/social media presence this year. Seemed to have ditched royalty-free musac in favour of more poppy/charty stuff, which whilst I don't personally care for does make the whole thing feel a lot less cheap.

A lot of decent footage from scrutineering too. Seems like someone's given the camera workers new toys to play with.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 07:02 (Ref:4112933)   #2119
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presumably there's no TV coverage or a stream of the Test Day?
Old 5 Jun 2022, 07:40 (Ref:4112937)   #2120
XtC24
Racer

XtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridXtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, I guess there never was.

Live timing on WEC site is not working for me.
Now I found, that this one works:

https://live.24h-lemans.com/en/live
Old 5 Jun 2022, 12:38 (Ref:4112978)   #2121
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooky View Post
Presumably there's no TV coverage or a stream of the Test Day?
Only radio.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 15:47 (Ref:4113002)   #2122
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Seems very strange that now it is all compressed into 8 days they could not put the camera's in for test day
Old 5 Jun 2022, 16:25 (Ref:4113010)   #2123
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Only radio.
Same as last year.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 16:25 (Ref:4113011)   #2124
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Seems very strange that now it is all compressed into 8 days they could not put the camera's in for test day
Currently they put in some cameras on Tuesday (approx 16), and take them out on Sunday. They are effectively paying for those for 6 days.

Other cameras (another 20 approx) aren't put in until Friday. Those are only charged for 3 days.

So the number of camera days they are paying for is 156.

To do test day coverage, they would have to put cameras in on Saturday. That's a 9 day hire.

Given the budget isn't likely to rise, that means fewer cameras at other points in the race week.

To maintain full coverage of the track during the race, you'd have to drop down to 8 cameras. So the already patchy coverage on Wednesday and Thursday would get even worse.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 17:19 (Ref:4113019)   #2125
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Why don’t they put in those 16 cameras for the test day? I mean it would only be 1 camera per person who’d watch.