Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2024 V8Supercar Driver’s Championship?
#99: TFH Erebus Camaro : Hazelwood 4 11.11%
#9: TFH Erebus Camaro : Le Brocq 0 0%
#88: RBART 888 Camaro : Feeney 7 19.44%
#87: RBART 888 Camaro : Brown 3 8.33%
#12: SCT BJR Camaro : Evans 1 2.78%
#8: R&J BJR Camaro : Heimgartner 1 2.78%
#14: Middys BJR Camaro : Fullwood 0 0%
#96: Pizza Hut BJR Camaro : Jones 0 0%
#6: Monster Tickford Mustang : Waters 7 19.44%
#55: Castrol Tickford Mustang : Randle 0 0%
#11: SVPR DJR Mustang : De Pasquale 0 0%
#17: SVPR DJR Mustang : Davison 1 2.78%
#2: TAR Mobil WAU Mustang : Wood 0 0%
#25: Optus Mobil WAU Mustang : Mostert 7 19.44%
#19: Penrite Grove Mustang : Payne 2 5.56%
#26: Penrite Grove Mustang : Stanaway 2 5.56%
#18: DeWalt T18 Camaro : Winterbottom 0 0%
#20: Tradie Beer T18 Camaro : Reynolds 0 0%
#23: PremiAir Nulon Camaro : Slade 0 0%
#31: PremiAir Nulon Camaro : Golding 0 0%
#10: Bendix MSR Camaro : Percat 0 0%
#4: Tyrepower MSR Camaro : Hill 0 0%
#3: CoolDrive BRT Mustang : Love 0 0%
#7: Snowy River BRT Mustang : Courtney 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Apr 2023, 07:54 (Ref:4153274)   #26
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Should teams have a closer look at hiring top GT drivers and top touring car drivers from abroad?
Enduros might be an interesting test of whether GT drivers can adapt quickly to the Gen3 car as compared to the Gen2.
Old 29 Apr 2023, 05:25 (Ref:4153453)   #27
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Should teams have a closer look at hiring top GT drivers and top touring car drivers from abroad?
I think its probably difficult to entice truly top-line GT/Internationals, and Im not sure exactly what they would bring to the table, other than confirmation that our cars aren't like anybody else's. Our category doesn't really offer much relevance in terms of career progression to international programs, in either direction. While it's been an enjoyable detour for the Max Wilsons, the Simonas et al in the past, has it truly enhanced their careers? And, for that matter, did their presence here provide any great currency for our category anywhere else in the world?
Old 30 Apr 2023, 06:46 (Ref:4153729)   #28
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
I think its probably difficult to entice truly top-line GT/Internationals, and Im not sure exactly what they would bring to the table, other than confirmation that our cars aren't like anybody else's. Our category doesn't really offer much relevance in terms of career progression to international programs, in either direction. While it's been an enjoyable detour for the Max Wilsons, the Simonas et al in the past, has it truly enhanced their careers? And, for that matter, did their presence here provide any great currency for our category anywhere else in the world?
Good point. I'm just looking at it from the point of the view of the teams doing whatever it takes to find a driver capable of winning the championship.

Whether's that a Kelvin van Der Linde, a Theo Pourchaire, or a Kai Allen, it doesn't matter IMO. As we know the golden era of BTCC Super Touring was full of continental and even New Zealander drivers as they were considered the best bet for championship glory, whereas now (much like the ATCC) it is full of domestic UK and Irish drivers.

So perhaps DJR should slot teenage Super2 ace Kai Allen into one of their cars as the next potential Australian Touring Car Champion?

(You have to be the next Scott McLaughlin to return DJR to victory lane but there is no pressure, ok! At the moment, DJR have the strategy of fielding a driver who seemed like a potential champion in their cars 15 years ago yet never won a title and expecting him to win a title now, which is curious.)

I find it interesting that you think the likes of van Der Linde (granted, no Mattias Ekstrom who excelled, likewise Patrick Long) would not be quick in the cars. Surely it is less pressure to expect a renowned GT ace to compete for the championship than a teenage domestic touring car rookie?

Granted formula car junior Liam Lawson outperformed the experienced GT aces in DTM, much to the GT aces embarrassment, leading to van der Linde executing some underhanded race tactics...

As we recall Ryan Briscoe took pole first time out at the Sandown 500, likewise Marcos Ambrose taking pole on the first go fresh from French Formula 3, so similar international juniors are perhaps not a bad bet, even if they are not from NZ or Australia?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 30 Apr 2023 at 06:58.
Old 1 May 2023, 08:51 (Ref:4153979)   #29
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Good point. I'm just looking at it from the point of the view of the teams doing whatever it takes to find a driver capable of winning the championship.

Whether's that a Kelvin van Der Linde, a Theo Pourchaire, or a Kai Allen, it doesn't matter IMO. As we know the golden era of BTCC Super Touring was full of continental and even New Zealander drivers as they were considered the best bet for championship glory, whereas now (much like the ATCC) it is full of domestic UK and Irish drivers.
Peter Adderton made the interesting point on social media today, that the difference in absolute pace between SVG and anybody else could easily be explained away by confidence in the gear, and regardless of anything you might say about Adderton, I expect him to have some knowledge to impart in this case. What might Mostert, or Waters, or Courtney, or even an old stager like Davo do with a 888 car? They've proven themselves to be a race engineering tour de force over decades.

Super Touring was, for a time, a global formula, and so the advantage of familiarity with the instruments of war was a moot point - everybody had them... if you think back to the Good Old Days, ancient scribes such as Bill Tuckey made much of the generally poor form of internationals who would come to throw themselves at the Big Hill, and fail, ascribing it to their lack of knowledge of Bathurst.... but Group A proved the lie. Win Percy once said that Tom Walkinshaw said that if a driver couldn't get it together on any given circuit inside three laps, they weren't worth paying. When the internationals came here and competed in either the actual cars that they had been using on the Continent, or a very similar example, they were largely right amongst it - the TWR Jaguars, the Euro BMW stars, the Sierra guys - none of them lagged in the manner the likes of Johnny Rutherford, Bob Tullius, even Stirling Moss had in their brief quests in the old Group C cars. Similarly, BTCC stars like Plato looked ridiculous and dangerous in their Supercar appearances... and one car only surmise that a large amount of the fault goes to how very alien the car was to its new pilot, especially, in the case of the Rutherford/Guthrie Torana when local knowledge proved that the car itself wasn't by any means slow.

Even Ambrose, who had truly excelled here on his return from Europe, couldn't come to terms with the later-Gen car when he came back from the States.

And SVG isn't quite as dominant in GT-spec cars, although it is very apparent that he can drive most things with remarkable ability.

Quote:
So perhaps DJR should slot teenage Super2 ace Kai Allen into one of their cars as the next potential Australian Touring Car Champion?

(You have to be the next Scott McLaughlin to return DJR to victory lane but there is no pressure, ok! At the moment, DJR have the strategy of fielding a driver who seemed like a potential champion in their cars 15 years ago yet never won a title and expecting him to win a title now, which is curious.)

I find it interesting that you think the likes of van Der Linde (granted, no Mattias Ekstrom who excelled, likewise Patrick Long) would not be quick in the cars. Surely it is less pressure to expect a renowned GT ace to compete for the championship than a teenage domestic touring car rookie?
Granted formula car junior Liam Lawson outperformed the experienced GT aces in DTM, much to the GT aces embarrassment, leading to van der Linde executing some underhanded race tactics...[/QUOTE]DJR need to re-evaulate their car preparation expertise: McLaughlin was ascendant, and made poor Coulthard look tardy, but one might argue that neither current DJR driver is of a McLaughlin standard: Anton held a lot of promise, but Davo's been the man at Stapylton, pretty much. That in itself is interesting as you point out, as Will has ever been a "confidence" driver - if he's feeling bullish, he's quick, simple as that, and even still now in his relative dotage. If he's not feeling it, he's been a bit wobbly. If the DJR car was up to the mark, I'd probably expect to see him duke it out with at least the lowest step on the podium.

I don't know where The Next Big Hope will come from. Until Shane tires of the game, or somebody poaches the entire 888 Race Engineering brains trust, I think its merely an academic exercise.

Even so, how good is it to see Erebus performing consistently and offering resistance?
Old 1 May 2023, 10:05 (Ref:4153991)   #30
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJR have confirmed it will field an unchanged driver lineup in 2024.
Old 1 May 2023, 22:37 (Ref:4154081)   #31
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SVG with a get out clause in the new contract, tells me that he is not sticking around.

Maybe SVG is not a fan of the new car, sick of the supercar politics, needs a new challenge or chasing some big dollars.

The next big hope in supercars, that be Ms Gracie!
Just imagine the merch sales.
Old 4 May 2023, 00:45 (Ref:4154403)   #32
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
SVG with a get out clause in the new contract, tells me that he is not sticking around.
Heaps of people have had these contracts, it's a pretty common thing.
Old 4 May 2023, 22:45 (Ref:4154528)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Based on the last couple of years, Waters is top quality if the equipment is upto it.

Anton has gone awol when he looked set to become the no.1 Ford guy.

Brown and Brodie had shown serious promise at times but.this year really look like taking the fight to 888!

Feeney looks the real deal?
Old 5 May 2023, 05:55 (Ref:4154544)   #34
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Feeney looks the real deal?
I think the remarkable thing is how he's kinda flying under the radar.

He's not leading the field really but he has really not missed a beat, hasn't had major accidents or gotten in anybody's way, and has been exceptionally consistent.
Old 5 May 2023, 06:29 (Ref:4154546)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I think the remarkable thing is how he's kinda flying under the radar.

He's not leading the field really but he has really not missed a beat, hasn't had major accidents or gotten in anybody's way, and has been exceptionally consistent.
The marks of a future champion?

Consistency is something Mostert always seems to lack. One weekend he's flyimg but the next he's rooted down in the pack with no pace. It's been like that whether he's in a Mustang, Commodore or Falcon!
Old 5 May 2023, 06:44 (Ref:4154549)   #36
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The marks of a future champion?
Could be.

There's no doubting he's in a very good car, better than some multiple championship winning drivers.

But it comes with a lot of pressure, and you have to be there and drive it too.

I just think his composure and maturity is amazing.

The guy was born in 2002. I have shoes older than that.
Old 5 May 2023, 06:49 (Ref:4154550)   #37
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with the comments about Broc Feeney, just keeping a low profile.

Likewise with WAU and Chas, it is just a lack of consistency-should be up front at every round.
Old 5 May 2023, 12:59 (Ref:4154608)   #38
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest disappointment of the recent years for me is Anton De Pasquale. Back in the Erebus days he seemed like he could really become a top performer in a top team and when he joined DJR it was all downhill from there. Perhaps becoming McLaughlin's successor turned to be too big of a challenge for him or maybe he was never poised for great things. Anyway, kind of rated him a lot higher. Yes, DJR seems to be going back to their mid-pack place that they'd been at for years before Penske came, but Anton's been regularly beaten by Will Davison recently. Quite a shame.

As for Feeney, I don't know, he's been somewhat invisible but on the other hand already won twice this year and is very young so can only get better. Given he's at Triple 8, which will probably be winning over the next decade or so, he'll probably be a major title candidate. I'm tipping Kostecki joining him at 888 in not too distant a future - wonder who can win the title (first) - Kostecki or Feeney. Somehow Kostecki seems better than Feeney atm but you never know.

Last edited by Matt K; 5 May 2023 at 13:06.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 00:22 (Ref:4164836)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back to the 2024 driver market for a moment…

Here

Out of deal drivers seem to include:
- Mr Pye, Mr Percat, Mr Reynolds and perhaps a clause trigger for Mr Waters.

Presume a couple of others have performance clauses and/or sponsor returning triggers as well.

In some of these, you do ask if the patrons keep supporting them, despite what slick media machines might have you believe.

Would any of the displaced above be a shot at #97 when Mr Van Gisbergen get a deal to go to NASCAR?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 Jun 2023, 08:00 (Ref:4164849)   #40
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know, SVG is locked in until the end of 2024 with option to stay beyond. So those out of contracts for 2024 can't replace him, at least not now.
But I'd like to see Cam Waters at Triple 8 - however for him, being supported so many years by Monster, would be awkward to move to the Red Bull camp!
Old 22 Jun 2023, 07:40 (Ref:4164959)   #41
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Waters at centre of silly season speculation.

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/waters-a...n-speculation/
Old 3 Jul 2023, 06:02 (Ref:4166457)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Waters to 888 to replace Mr Van Gisbergen
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Jul 2023, 07:41 (Ref:4166466)   #43
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
When does Brodie come off contract.
Old 3 Jul 2023, 07:45 (Ref:4166467)   #44
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We need a poll
Old 3 Jul 2023, 07:45 (Ref:4166468)   #45
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I don't think Cam will be in a hurry to make a decision, Giz is said to still be lining up with T8 next year and Cam's car was leading in Darwin before the fire so he'll probably wait to see what the parity changes offer.
Old 3 Jul 2023, 08:34 (Ref:4166475)   #46
Kingair
Veteran

Now let’s see, being smart would 888 sign Cam for 2024 season.

Maybe give him a wildcard drive or two, and then slot him for the enduro drive?

Or does Brodie or Will, leave Barry’s warm embrace?
Old 3 Jul 2023, 11:56 (Ref:4166509)   #47
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I don't think Cam will be in a hurry to make a decision, Giz is said to still be lining up with T8 next year and Cam's car was leading in Darwin before the fire so he'll probably wait to see what the parity changes offer.
The honest problem is that Tickford are shockingly incompetent.

Other than 2 year purple patch they have been ordinary and the closest they ever came to rewarding Cam's speed was 2020.

Since then they have been utterly backsliding and their pit strategy and stops this year are woeful, and Cam's overdriving.

Not sure 888 would want him.

WAU maybe.
Old 3 Jul 2023, 12:04 (Ref:4166511)   #48
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not thats he's proven Richie is sitting in the background also.
Old 3 Jul 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4166512)   #49
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I think Cam wants to follow the same footsteps !
Old 3 Jul 2023, 18:23 (Ref:4166579)   #50
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Not sure 888 would want him.

WAU maybe.
According to the rumours, 888 does want him.