Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Mar 2023, 04:02 (Ref:4147126)   #176
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
The Local Member (Wendy Tuckerman, Liberal) says she was involved in C-in-C negotiations and facilitating the sale and therefore was unable to comment or respond to criticism of her...Libs also offered 5 mil for redevelopment as part of election pork barreling...ergh...platform.
She would say that wouldn't she. There is a lot of posturing in your second post, but it is an election campaign after all. I think it is a bit cheeky for BAC to suddenly be concerned about noise issues.

But a good result for Goulburn, and motorsport. And the Shelleys too no doubt!
Old 15 Mar 2023, 23:06 (Ref:4147232)   #177
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Benalla Auto Club Inc
March 14 at 1:17 PM ·
Wakefield Park
In a result that is set to secure the future of Motorsport in the Goulburn Mulwaree Shire and Greater NSW, The Benalla Auto Club is excited to announce that Wakefield Park has been sold to Steve Shelley. Shelley is the owner of Pheasant Wood Circuit at Marulan, just 25 minutes drive from Wakefield Park towards Sydney.
Both the BAC General Manager Stephen Whyte and Steve Shelley have attributed the facilitation of the arrangement to Local Liberal Member Wendy Tuckerman.
BAC Group General Manager Stephen Whyte Quote:
“Today is a significant moment for the Future of Wakefield Park. With Steve and his team having significant experience in Motorsport facility management and event management, I couldn’t think of anyone better to be the custodian of Wakefield Park Raceway. It is significant that Steve already knows the area and the current situation with Wakefield Park and I have no doubt he will continue to work with the Residents, Council and Government to secure the future of the Facility. This arrangement would not have happened without the significant involvement and passion of Local Liberal Member Wendy Tuckerman. Throughout this whole process, the Support of Wendy and her understanding of what we (the current BAC management) inherited, has given us some positive direction and clear indication of the obvious support from the government for the future of the Raceway. I must also acknowledge the Goulburn Mulwaree Council CEO Aaron Johanssen and council staff that have been working through this behind the scenes over this time. We also look forward to continuing to work with Steve and his team in the future as they put plans together to reopen the circuit.
Steve Shelley Quote:
I am passionate about Wakefield Park and have competed there on many occasions. The opportunity to continue our Track Ownership along with investment in the local community of Goulburn is something that we believe is critically important for the future of Motorsport in the region. I’d like to thank Wendy Tuckerman for putting myself together with Stephen and the Benalla Auto Club Group, and for being so passionate about a Motorsport Strategy that gives us the confidence to commit to this wonderful opportunity. I look forward to working closely with the neighbours of Wakefield Park and The Goulburn Mulwaree Shire Council when planning and securing the future of Wakefield, and especially avoiding any repeat of mistakes made in the past.
I hope all parties and the Motorsport fraternity in New South Wales will be buoyed by this announcement about Wakefield Park Raceway.
Old 16 Mar 2023, 23:25 (Ref:4147351)   #178
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does changing the custodian of the circuit really change the relationship with various arms of government, and indeed the application of law?
It does suggest a finesse may be on..
However that implies the incumbent custodians were unable/were unwilling/blew up relationships such that a finesse was not on the menu
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Mar 2023, 01:27 (Ref:4147363)   #179
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure what you mean by 'finesse' ... but ...

They need a new DA, the 1993 DA is obsolete though still dictating operations. Ostensibly they are operating under the LEC ruling, but AIUI the practical effect of that is the 1993 DA conditions.

BAC openly flouted the existing (1993) DA, and therefore the LEC hammered them when they challenged Council's new DA for the circuit. Shelly comes in as a cleanskin, with a local track record of operating a motorsport circuit under his DA conditions (I am assuming this, because others have said it and nobody has contested it).

Goulburn is hurting, Council wants a fix, and suddenly the bad taste that is BAC is gone. In its place Shelley comes in and says, 'hey can I help you?'...

It probably won't be easy, but at least he is not starting behind the 8-ball with Council and residents and that is the best news the watching and waiting motorsport community have had since the LEC handed down its judgement.

As a car club member and with friends in other car clubs I know how those clubs are feeling the pain of having lost the WP option, and its competitive pressure on other circuits (looking at you SMP), there are a lot of crossed fingers that this gets the WP gates open again.
Old 17 Mar 2023, 02:08 (Ref:4147368)   #180
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
‘Finesse’ in this use is to initiate a course of action by someone else when it is not currently able to be done inside existing legal frameworks..

Sometimes you get to an impasse in negotiations, and only a change in talking head in the room makes the subject move..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Mar 2023, 04:37 (Ref:4147372)   #181
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Does changing the custodian of the circuit really change the relationship with various arms of government, and indeed the application of law?
It does suggest a finesse may be on..
However that implies the incumbent custodians were unable/were unwilling/blew up relationships such that a finesse was not on the menu
I undermean exactly what you stand to say!
Old 17 Mar 2023, 20:00 (Ref:4147582)   #182
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
The law is the law, and that will continue, at least since the LEC decision, given that while the law previously applied it was not followed or enforced prior to that. That is why a new law (DA) is required, or the old/existing law will continue to be applied.

As for Shelley, I think the analogy is the prisoner applying for bail - the person with no record of absconding etc will get it, the one with a history of breaking bail conditions will not.

I think your description of the incumbents is spot on, and shared by those in authority.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 09:54 (Ref:4150233)   #183
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
More positive signs from the new owners...

https://autoaction.com.au/2023/04/03...6iINC3YVnBnPyM
Old 3 Apr 2023, 12:07 (Ref:4150255)   #184
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Talking the talk, that's cheap (but good), now for the implementation. And the DA.

I'm pleased, it is the start of the (new) beginning for WP, there is a road ahead, it probably has a few bumps and a couple of twists, but at least we can see it now.
Old 14 Apr 2023, 05:46 (Ref:4151386)   #185
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Progress, of sorts.

https://www.goulburnpost.com.au/stor...etrack/?cs=181

We have a timetable, and some plans for improvements.
Old 17 Apr 2023, 09:31 (Ref:4151959)   #186
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Wendy Tuckerman Elected...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/election...019/guide/goul
Old 20 Apr 2023, 06:37 (Ref:4152238)   #187
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Yee har!

https://the-riotact.com/wakefield-pa...qiUGXqRADTC2T8
Old 20 Apr 2023, 07:01 (Ref:4152240)   #188
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr Shelley sounds intelligent, experienced and reasonable.

Here's hoping he can mitigate the issues the locals have and with a new face get all the stakeholders happy for the track to re-open and keep pumping money into the local economy.
Old 20 Apr 2023, 08:23 (Ref:4152243)   #189
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Yes, things are moving in the right direction.

Thanks for that link 275, I was intrigued to find so much coverage of WP's woes there! In particular, the angst expressed by a nameless BAC member about the BAC's lack of consultation with members and general 'couldn't care less' attitude. Be interesting to see how representative that feeling is amongst BAC members, and whether there might be some consequences for BAC leadership/management.

ETA: Expand to the south? There is a property there, I would be expecting the expansion to go east? The Pelican Inn is now Pelican Station, a working property and farm-stay accommodation business to the north of WP. I think the journo might have got something mixed up in terms of the site of the expansion, but time will tell ...

Last edited by GreenMachine; 20 Apr 2023 at 08:34.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 21:43 (Ref:4152699)   #190
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
www.Speedcafe.com reports on developments surrounding Wakefield Park:

“The new owner of Wakefield Park, Steve Shelley, wants to lodge a Development Application (DA) and hopes to re-open the facility later this year.

The circuit near Goulburn, New South Wales, was closed indefinitely in September 2022 after a Land and Environment Court ruling imposed tighter noise limits on the venue.

Steve Shelley, who bought the facility from Benalla Auto Club last month, hopes the circuit could re-open in some form by November, provided approvals are forthcoming.

Shelley believes it is a necessity as many local businesses have struggled since the circuit closure, without the influx of people that previously visited Goulburn and took advantage of the accommodation houses, eating and drinking establishments as well as the shopping outlets.

At the Goulburn Chamber of Commerce meeting last Wednesday, Shelley, who also owns the Pheasant Wood Circuit, which is also in Goulburn Mulwaree Shire, said there enormous potential for industry growth throughout the region.

Shelley previously met the Council with an outline of his DA proposal and confirmed there was much work to be done. He wants to extend the circuit from its current 2.2-kilometre length to 3.3, with significant re-engineering and geotechnical work as well as track resurface. That would help sort foundational and drainage problems and help noise reduction.

He said that some of the previous noise concerns were due to the elevated part of the circuit. Part of the new layout would encompass an additional parcel of adjacent land that was part of the purchase and the removal of the hill part with a reconfiguration for a flatter track, which will generate less noise to the surrounding areas.

Construction of a large commercial centre that would front the road that passes the facility (Braidwood Road) would also tackle noise abatement. The building would incorporate industry businesses, and the possibility of a restaurant or café.”
Old 23 Apr 2023, 22:46 (Ref:4152703)   #191
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Thanks Mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
www.Speedcafe.com reports on developments surrounding Wakefield Park:

“ ... He said that some of the previous noise concerns were due to the elevated part of the circuit. Part of the new layout would encompass an additional parcel of adjacent land that was part of the purchase and the removal of the hill part with a reconfiguration for a flatter track, which will generate less noise to the surrounding areas.
... .”
Ouch. Flat tracks are boring. Earthmoving is expensive. Hopefully a more creative solution is forthcoming, perhaps having the cars face away from noise-sensitive areas when accelerating uphill. Anyway I would have thought that enforcing noise limits would be sufficient.

But if that is what it takes, and the cost is bearable, ...
Old 24 Apr 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4152726)   #192
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Thanks Mick

Ouch. Flat tracks are boring. Earthmoving is expensive...
I think the family is in the earth moving business ?

I heard him give a speech about their plans for Pheasant Wood back in November and even that sounded amazing, especially the part where they reckon they're going to recreate the corkscrew from Laguna Seca, that got some oohhs from the crowd !

Hope they can get it all done at both circuits.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 09:25 (Ref:4152733)   #193
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Their money came from selling Deputy software AFAIK, but some of it may have ended up in earthmoving.

Yes, I've seen/heard that reference several times, something to look forward to! I wonder if the plans for PW will slow/change now, WP is a decent bite to chew on without another circuit to distract them.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4152739)   #194
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Their money came from selling Deputy software AFAIK, but some of it may have ended up in earthmoving.
Shelly's are old money rich. Whilst Steve has had a lot of business success, with Deputy and an aeroplane parts/maintenance company, the family has been "around money" for a number of years. https://www.berts.com.au/our-company/
Old 24 Apr 2023, 11:55 (Ref:4152751)   #195
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Yes! I remember 'Shelly's', they got bought out and the name disappeared.

Thanks for that mention, it brough back a small flood of memories!
Old 11 May 2023, 11:30 (Ref:4155525)   #196
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
11 May 2023 - Wendy Tuckerman words...[following her re-election]

PHEASANT WOOD CIRCUIT PRESENTS PLANS FOR WAKEFIELD PARK
Early in April I attended the Goulburn Chamber of Commerce & Industry hosted the Shelley Brothers, Cameron, Steve and Greg to hear about their vision for Wakefield Park in relation to the Goulburn Business Community.
The acquisition of Wakefield Park Raceway by an established track operator in the region, such as Pheasant Wood Circuit will breathe new life into the raceway and provide a sustainable and commercially viable solution to the circuit, especially whilst addressing the noise concerns that led to its closure.
We heard their plans and priorities, number one being noise control which will require a new track layout and significant works to keep the facility in the best shape possible. Steve also spoke about the plans for the park to include a business precinct and ancillary ideas around tourism and hospitality such as a restaurant and motorsport museum.
I am so pleased that their top priority is listening and respecting the concerns of local residents to ensure that the rejuvenation and reopening of Wakefield Park Raceway will be done in a manner that is respectful and beneficial to the community.
Attached Thumbnails
+2023.JPG  
Old 6 Jun 2023, 07:44 (Ref:4160174)   #197
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Wakefield Park Raceway Secures Future with Acquisition by Pheasant Wood Circuit Owners
Goulburn, NSW – June 6, 2023

We are thrilled to announce the successful acquisition of Wakefield Park Raceway, a beloved motorsport facility in Goulburn, NSW, by the owners of nearby Pheasant Wood Circuit. This momentous development marks a significant milestone in securing the future of Wakefield Park Raceway and fostering a collaborative and respectful relationship with our neighbours.
In the wake of its closure in September 2022, Wakefield Park Raceway faced a period of uncertainty. Recognising the vital role Wakefield Park plays in the motorsport and local Goulburn Mulwaree community, we made the decision to invest in its future, guided by our shared love for the sport. We are humbled by the opportunity to contribute to the preservation and enhancement of this facility, commonly known as "the nations spectator's circuit".
With the ownership transition now complete, our immediate focus is on restoring the circuit and its facilities. We understand the concerns expressed by residents and the council regarding noise levels, and we are committed to addressing these issues in close collaboration with all stakeholders. Our aim is to find practical solutions that respect the needs and aspirations of the local community and motorsport fraternity while ensuring the continued operation of Wakefield Park Raceway.
While there is work ahead of us, we are eagerly looking forward to commencing the necessary repairs and renovations, with the goal of reopening the circuit on a limited scale later this year. Our vision extends beyond that, as we aspire to host substantive events in 2024, delivering exciting experiences for motorsport enthusiasts.
We express our sincere gratitude to the people of Goulburn for their unwavering support and enthusiasm throughout this process. Your faith in Wakefield Park Raceway has been instrumental in making this acquisition possible. We are dedicated to working hand in hand with our neighbours, in a spirit of unity, mutual respect and collaboration as we navigate the path ahead.
To keep you updated on the latest developments and future plans, we will soon introduce a mailing list. By subscribing, you will receive regular updates on our progress, upcoming events, and other exciting announcements pertaining to Wakefield Park Raceway's transformation.
As owners of both Pheasant Wood Circuit and Wakefield Park Raceway, we will ensure that this iconic circuit remains a treasured destination for motorsport enthusiasts.
Steve Shelley
Owner
About Wakefield Park Raceway:
Wakefield Park Raceway is a beloved motorsport facility located in Goulburn, NSW. Renowned for its challenging track and extensive facilities, it has long been cherished by racing enthusiasts and professional drivers alike. Under the ownership of the team behind Pheasant Wood Circuit, Wakefield Park Raceway is poised for an exciting future, fostering a close and respectful relationship with the community.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 09:38 (Ref:4160186)   #198
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Thanks for posting this GTB, good to see the formalities have been completed.

Very upbeat PR, quite respectful of the noise sensitivities too.

Things have moved a long way in the last 12 months! I'm looking forward to getting back on there, next year if not this year. Better check the exhaust first though!!!
Old 14 Jun 2023, 05:19 (Ref:4163621)   #199
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Wakefield Upgrade

On Tuesday 6th June 2023, Steve Shelley, owner of Pheasant Wood Circuit - Marulan NSW officially took ownership of the Iconic Wakefield Park Raceway.
On Tuesday 13th June, Divall's Earthmoving and Bulk Haulage proudly floated the Pheasant Wood Circuit excavator so we can immediately commence work.
Steve and a handpicked team will bring Wakefield Park back to life for everyone to enjoy. I am looking forward to working with my Brothers Steve and Greg on such a wonderful Circuit for the good of Motorsport, and of course the LGA of Goulburn. Exciting times are coming.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Jun 351463427_10230569568927356_8155793613524456533_n.jpg  
Old 14 Jun 2023, 08:46 (Ref:4163638)   #200
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Jumping the gun?

Do they have a DA for that?

I presume the circuit improvements will be covered in a separate DA to the circuit operations. Extending the circuit should be a 'tick and flick' exercise, unless some residents think the extension may add to their discomforts.