Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Mar 2023, 01:08 (Ref:4148381)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trans Am and TA2

Please help as I am confused by the various iterations of these cars.

Yesterday I watched from Winton races for "TA2 Racing Muscle Car Series"

A few months ago it was the Trans Am Series from Symmons which featured Moffat and other top drivers.

Then there is the "National Trans Am Series"

I have seen a few ads for these cars saying they can race in both the Trans Am and TA2 Series.

What is the difference?
Old 20 Mar 2023, 02:41 (Ref:4148384)   #2
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The cars are TA2 cars from the US. I'm 99% sure that all of them are the same chassis, whereas there is a multitude of options in the US.

The National/Trans Am series is the Motorsport Australia series, and you'll see it at the Speed Series.

The "TA2 Racing"/TA2 branded offerings are run mostly under AASA, and were the vehicle (haha) for these cars coming out to Australia.

Identical cars, different series.
Old 20 Mar 2023, 12:07 (Ref:4148433)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Identical cars, different series.
Yep - the TA2 cars in Oz (& NZ I think) are all built by Howe in the US (one of several licensed builders there).

The TA2 series grew out of a TransAm series for older cars and as so often happens, once it got to a reasonable size, different parties within the series had different ideas on how to move it along, at least commercially.

To be honest, I've lost track somewhat but there are different series with different ownership but the cars are all supplied through one importer, with commercial agreements locked away for supply of the cars & parts.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 03:18 (Ref:4148753)   #4
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crate engine in TA2 run by Peter Robinson with AASA
TransAm has more engine freedom and is run by ARG with MA.
Until 2021 there was only TA2 in Australia.All TA2 cars are eligible for TransAm but not vice versa.
Old 16 May 2023, 00:08 (Ref:4156320)   #5
Terry S
Racer

What is going on with TA2?

A terrific class but it seems to be becoming Formula Mustang.

At last weekend's National Title round there were 11 Mustangs, 6 Camaros and NO Dodge Challengers.

So 65% of the field was Mustangs.

Why no Challengers?

I am a great Challenger fan from way back and well remember Sam Posey in the beautiful green Changer number 77.

Should there be a limit of how many of one car type be in a race?
Old 16 May 2023, 05:13 (Ref:4156336)   #6
High_OCTANE_HSV
Rookie

Australia
High_OCTANE_HSV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
What is going on with TA2?

A terrific class but it seems to be becoming Formula Mustang.

At last weekend's National Title round there were 11 Mustangs, 6 Camaros and NO Dodge Challengers.

So 65% of the field was Mustangs.

Why no Challengers?

I am a great Challenger fan from way back and well remember Sam Posey in the beautiful green Changer number 77.

Should there be a limit of how many of one car type be in a race?
The Challengers are outdated, they still use a fibreglass body whereas the Camaro and Mustang use a carbon fibre body. Might stem from the fact that the Americans don't race them anymore and as such there's no support for them. I know you can go to Five Star Bodies (who make a lot of the bodies for the US TA2 cars) and they only offer Camaro and Mustang bodies. I might be wrong but I'm fairly certain that would be a big reason.

I don't think there should be a limit on how many cars from one manufacturer should race - I believe everyone chooses their body for a reason. I mean at the end of the day the cars are completley identical apart from the carbon body on top so I don't think it's a big deal. Maybe a lot of ex-Holden fans who are racing would rather drive a Mustang than the offering from the company who buried their beloved product.
Old 16 May 2023, 07:01 (Ref:4156349)   #7
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Why no Challengers?
These things look great but the nose of them is a horrible shape aerodynamically and I would think that could make them undesirable.
Old 17 May 2023, 01:49 (Ref:4156494)   #8
Terry S
Racer

If all cars are the same weight and have the same power, what does it matter what the bodies are made from?

replying to post #6
Old 17 May 2023, 02:40 (Ref:4156495)   #9
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If all cars are the same weight and have the same power, what does it matter what the bodies are made from?
If your body is lighter you ballast your car to minimum weight, which means you can run the weight lower in the car for COG and you can also put it wherever you want to balance the car.
Old 17 May 2023, 03:38 (Ref:4156496)   #10
High_OCTANE_HSV
Rookie

Australia
High_OCTANE_HSV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

replying to post #6
It's also a supply thing. It's far easier to get a hold of a body that's still being produced as opposed to an obsolete body design.
Old 19 May 2023, 03:30 (Ref:4156787)   #11
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What is the difference?
Australian Auto Sport Alliance v Motorsport Australia AFAIK.
Old 21 May 2023, 01:10 (Ref:4157081)   #12
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Australian Auto Sport Alliance v Motorsport Australia AFAIK.
Also different engine regulations.
Old 21 May 2023, 07:34 (Ref:4157095)   #13
Mr X
Rookie

Mr X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Also different engine regulations.
What is different between the engine regs?

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/01/16...-lock-in-deal/