Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Nov 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3333524)   #1
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Disabled access

Hi guys

Chatting to a friend of mine who goes down there each year (same campsite, but does his own thing - parking himself on a chair at Mulsanne for the entire weekend) the other day, and he said another friend of ours (they usually go together) is hoping to make a comeback next year, having had a couple of years off due to ill health.

I'm not sure (and I don't think the Doctors are yet either) as to what's up - he's lost lots of mobility and on top has now been diagnosed with MS, so it's pretty much an electric wheelchair jobbie for him. He asked if I knew anything about disabled access down there (which I don't), so I said I'd ask here. Anyone got any specific thoughts/pointers on this area of things? He's fairly certain the reality is they'll want to be up in the main area of the circuit, but I take it you need a pass etc from the ACO for access to any specific disabled viewing areas etc?

Ta muchly
Old 19 Nov 2013, 15:43 (Ref:3333675)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are a number of viewing areas with access for wheelchairs. There are ramps at Dunlop and Tertre Rouge, for instance. I know there is at least one stand (the old yellow one?) that has an area for wheelchair viewing. Others are likely to know better than me.... The one thing I'm pretty sure of is that Mulsanne would be difficult as you really need to be up on the high bank - but I guess even that can be accessed via the slope?
Old 19 Nov 2013, 16:17 (Ref:3333691)   #3
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
LooK's that the Tribune 23 (Raccordement) has 20 Places reserved for Wheelchair Accesbility .
Old 19 Nov 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3333771)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
LooK's that the Tribune 23 (Raccordement) has 20 Places reserved for Wheelchair Accesbility .
It does and there is a large ramp for wheelchair access at the rear of the stand
Old 19 Nov 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3333806)   #5
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure about Tertre Rouge, both inside and outside has special wheelchair platforms.
The tunnel under the track between Esses and Tertre Rouge has stairs and a slope for wheelchairs.

Not 100% sure about Dunlop Chicane, I believe there is the same kind of platform at the Museum side of Dunlop chicane.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3333824)   #6
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I visited the Mulsanne corner banking when I was off duty, and even with a long slope, it still took four very LARGE French gentleman to both get up the slope and then down again afterwards.

Basically not a good place to go without friends - but if you stay there for a while, at least you can see their large screen across track.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 21:34 (Ref:3333899)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
There are several disabled viewing points around tertre rouge and although they do get fairly full of non disabled people they do make way for obviously disabled people, one of our party does have serious mobility issues but most people seem to very helpful and he always seems to find somewhere to watch with either a post to lean on or some other support.
However I think that I would avoid the mass of people around the start/finish straight until it has thinned out a little, there are just to many people
Old 20 Nov 2013, 11:28 (Ref:3334196)   #8
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford Chicane grandstand has a large area for wheelchairs and ramps up the side.

The area is mostly used by snappers.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3334304)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
Ford Chicane grandstand has a large area for wheelchairs and ramps up the side.

The area is mostly used by snappers.
Which is the same stand at mentioned above - Raccordement
Old 20 Nov 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3334312)   #10
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eyes now engaged.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3334313)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
Eyes now engaged.
Its no issue - not everyone will realise it is the same stand though
Old 21 Nov 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3334739)   #12
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cheers guys, I'll pass the info on. Agreed that Mulsanne will be a struggle, hence the question really. As you say probably best to get in and planted early on rather than fight the crowds.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3336390)   #13
Pilgrim1975
Rookie

Pilgrim1975 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disabled access is certainly a great deal better than it used to be, but there's still a fair bit more they could do IMHO. If I remember rightly the refurbishments to the pit complex and surrounding area are slated to include improved access for the disabled and there are certainly more ramps and suchlike than there were when I first went in 1999.

It's still a work in progress, but disabled provision is definitely better than ever before.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3338378)   #14
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
The grandstand above the pits has disabled viewing places - but these always seemed to be full of able bodied using it as a photography point and blocking the view when you rolled into there. On practice days I didn't see any stewards, so no joy about sorting this (race day might be different).

There are lifts from ground level up to 2nd/3rd floor level, but these are between race trucks, so you need to choose your path carefully.

On the outside of the start straight, there is quite a lot of disabled places in the front of the Dunlop Grandstand, which is opposite pit out. This seemed to be the biggest place I saw for wheelchair users.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 16:23 (Ref:3341996)   #15
wkk
Rookie

Germany
Cologne
wkk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwkk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

there's a 3 year old first hand report from a visitor in the annual Club Arnage guide. It is also available at http://www.clubarnage.com/wiki/doku....h-disabilities

Hope that helps a little
Old 9 Dec 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3342090)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent. Thanks for that!
Old 9 Dec 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3342141)   #17
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
The old yellow grandstand is excellent. It boasts a wide flat floor for wheeled persons en is situated at a very good viewing spot at the exit of the pit, overlooking basically the entire start/finish straight and a long way up the long righthander leading up to the Dunlop chicane.

As for 'snappers' blocking your way, it's very simple to chase them of. The last two years I've been visiting the race with a good friend of mine who's in รค wheelchair and he just pushes his way forward saying 'Pardon!, knowing very well he has all the right to chase the able bodied away from disabled viewing points. And everyone clears the path for him.
As an 'assistent' of him, I've never been at the fence in the corner of Arnage so fast !