Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Nov 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3334428)   #1
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My last two trips to Circuit of the Americas

Hello my friends! While not necessarily Le Mans related, I hope Aysedasi and Bentley03 will grant me some leeway in this thread.

So, first thing's first: here's my ALMS/WEC report from the 6 Hours at the Circuit of the Americas from back in September:

http://robertblanshard.wordpress.com...s-car-weekend/

Secondly, I was down there again this weekend for the F1 race. When something occurred to me.

While it's fun do drive down to Austin and see the F1 cars attack the track, hear them scream past you, and enjoy everything the track has to offer you - it just doesn't compare to Le Mans and sports car racing.

I was, if you will, bored with the race itself. I really enjoyed my ALMS/WEC race weekend - the style of racing is just more my style.

If nothing else, the F1 race this weekend has made me more excited to get started on my plans for 2014 Le Mans. I need to get my tickets to the track and book the flight and hotel. I'll get started on that this week. I'll also stock up on the Woodford Reserve.

Sorry, for not being around here lately, but I'll be online more often in the coming weeks. More than anything, however, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in 7 months.

-Robert
Old 20 Nov 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3334432)   #2
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking forward to meeting you again Robert!

I am currently thinking about going to Spa when F1 hits it. (Because of Kevin Magnussen of course), and have the same fear that you experienced - to be bored, as I'm used to the standard of Le Mans.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 02:41 (Ref:3334596)   #3
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I really enjoyed reading your blog post about the Austin race. I was there too and had an amazing time seeing two world-class races back to back, can't wait to go down there again next year! BTW, is your dog okay? I sure hope so as he looks like a sweet guy.

As a huge ALMS fan who has been to every race on the calendar and Le Mans, I too agree that F1 cannot hold a candle to multi-class sports car racing. I've seen F1 at Monaco, Malaysia and Singapore, and I will say that F1 has the glitz and the glamour, however that's where it ends for me.

I'm also counting the days until I return to Le Sarthe next year. I'm bringing my wife for the first time, she's either going to love it or hate it, but I can't wait to show it to her! Maybe we'll run into each other over there, us Americans are easy to spot.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 06:35 (Ref:3334650)   #4
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I probably should have said something earlier, yes, Seamus is fine.

I got home Monday morning after the race and met mom at the hospital. Seamus has a failing heart, but with the proper medication, we can control his heart issue. We have to “tap” him and drain the fluids off his chest about every two weeks. He’s not in any pain and is still the happy, 13 year-old puppy he’s always been. The vet tells us he’s a strong boy and will go on until he tells us he’s tired. Until then, every time I see him, and he knows daddy is home, I sweep him up into my arms, let him rest in my lap, and love on my boy.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 11:18 (Ref:3334737)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Looking forward to meeting you again Robert!

I am currently thinking about going to Spa when F1 hits it. (Because of Kevin Magnussen of course), and have the same fear that you experienced - to be bored, as I'm used to the standard of Le Mans.
i've always been of the opinion that you go to f1 for the sense of occasion, the event, and to see the cars. the actual race is best watched at home from the couch afterwards. all other racing is the other way around except le mans which has the perfect combination of event and race.

i think if you go wanting to experience a f1 event and the circuit accomodating the series and crowd that it was designed for, then you won't be disappointed.

for me f1 sits in the same awkward gap between sprint and endurance racing that the elms occupied. you don't quite know how to watch it, and you spend so long figuring out whats going on that you kind of forget to watch the racing...