Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jul 2022, 09:37 (Ref:4118294)   #51
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am surprised it took them this long as Wakefield always has had its detractors in town as well as near the circuit while all the business operators loved it for obvious reasons. I can recall being told in the right weather conditions people in Goulburn got annoyed by the sound of cars racing and that was told to me by Michael Navybox (RIP) who lived in town.
Old 6 Jul 2022, 21:04 (Ref:4118488)   #52
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I am surprised it took them this long as Wakefield always has had its detractors in town as well as near the circuit while all the business operators loved it for obvious reasons. I can recall being told in the right weather conditions people in Goulburn got annoyed by the sound of cars racing and that was told to me by Michael Navybox (RIP) who lived in town.
Michael Navybox (RIP)

Yes...all race tracks have the same problem...the best one I have "heard" is regular complaints about the Fairbairn Hillclimb EVEN when there is NO meeting! (that says it all about NIMBYs)
Old 7 Jul 2022, 00:51 (Ref:4118501)   #53
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Michael Navybox (RIP)

Yes...all race tracks have the same problem...the best one I have "heard" is regular complaints about the Fairbairn Hillclimb EVEN when there is NO meeting! (that says it all about NIMBYs)
Everyone including me and you would be a NIMBY if some activity we did not like annoyed us and our peaceful existence. In my case it is bikes being ridden in bushland all day on weekends near our house.
Old 14 Jul 2022, 03:23 (Ref:4119465)   #54
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am hearing that Wakefield is no longer. The track has been shut down. The last event will be Aus Time attack next weekend.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 14 Jul 2022, 03:54 (Ref:4119467)   #55
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
I am hearing that Wakefield is no longer. The track has been shut down. The last event will be Aus Time attack next weekend.
Big scoop if what you’ve heard is true.
How busy will SMP be then?
Old 14 Jul 2022, 04:48 (Ref:4119469)   #56
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sports car event has been cancelled following a decision in the Land and Environment Court.

THE MEETING SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY THE 16TH, TSOA ROUND 4, HAS BEEN CANCELLED

Apparently Wakefield are now only allowed to operate 4 days a week, given they had already run meetings this week they had no option but to cancel this weekends meeting to ensure they complied with the new order...

NIMBYs!
Old 14 Jul 2022, 05:24 (Ref:4119470)   #57
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
10am today they posted for a track day on the 3rd of August?
Old 14 Jul 2022, 05:27 (Ref:4119471)   #58
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently Wakefield are now only allowed to operate 4 days a week, given they had already run meetings this week they had no option but to cancel this weekends meeting to ensure they complied with the new order...
It's worse than that, the court order is for 4 days per MONTH

Quote:
As of immediately, the courts have handed Wakefield Park the worst news possible. The track as of yesterday is now allowed to operate 4 days per month. Yes 4 days per month.
The new regulations are just absolutely ridiculous. The amount of days varies depending on how loud the events are. As an example, if a race meeting is hosted for 3 consecutive days, the track then has to stop operating for 4 weeks.
There is so much more I could write, but this is hot off the press. The track looks like they are going to have to spend more money on more legal battles to keep the doors open.
Old 14 Jul 2022, 06:27 (Ref:4119473)   #59
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NIMBY’s rule again.
Old 14 Jul 2022, 08:36 (Ref:4119485)   #60
Mixer
Veteran

Coverage on Speedcafe:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/07/14...mJRXJT9Y9IVHyE

Just absolute morons.

I hope the nimbys and council are happy to destroy something that generates significant revenue and employment in the area.
Old 14 Jul 2022, 12:45 (Ref:4119506)   #61
Casper
Veteran

Goulburn business is going to regret this decision in a big way. BAC sure opened a can of worms and surely they knew that the circuit was not universally liked by a lot of people before they started down the path of development applications that were going to meet stiff local opposition.

Is this ruling final with no avenue of appeal?
Old 14 Jul 2022, 23:04 (Ref:4119553)   #62
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
That is a severe kick in the teeth for Wakefield and BAC. Hope that they're able to overcome it but their legal fees dealing with all this must be astronomical.
Old 15 Jul 2022, 01:00 (Ref:4119555)   #63
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
That is a severe kick in the teeth for Wakefield and BAC. Hope that they're able to overcome it but their legal fees dealing with all this must be astronomical.
Maybe they should not have kicked a sleeping tiger so to speak. I am only peripherally aware of what happened after the revolt within the BAC all those years ago but some of their management decisions after that happened seemed puzzling at the time.
Old 15 Jul 2022, 07:01 (Ref:4119562)   #64
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really think the end is here for Wakefield Park unfortunately.
This didn’t just randomly pop up on a Thursday afternoon.It has been going on for 3 years and if the local businesses and population were strongly opposed to it they would have manned the barricades long before now.Everyone knew something like this was what the council wanted and overall locally it just produced a collective shrug.
Huge blow to grass roots motor sport in the state.
Only positive is it will force the ASBK back to Eastern Creek where it should have been all along.
Old 15 Jul 2022, 09:35 (Ref:4119570)   #65
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Only positive is it will force the ASBK back to Eastern Creek where it should have been all along.

The existence of Wakefield Park isn't the roadblock to ASBK at SMSP. The existence of exclusive suppliers at SMSP is the roadblock. /off topic
Old 16 Jul 2022, 02:06 (Ref:4119639)   #66
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
The existence of Wakefield Park isn't the roadblock to ASBK at SMSP. The existence of exclusive suppliers at SMSP is the roadblock. /off topic
I’m aware of the duelling medical services.
The irony is that riders would receive exactly the same level of care whether the ASBK contracted service was used or the ARDC one.
Old 16 Jul 2022, 05:34 (Ref:4119652)   #67
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe they should not have kicked a sleeping tiger so to speak. I am only peripherally aware of what happened after the revolt within the BAC all those years ago but some of their management decisions after that happened seemed puzzling at the time.
BAC have a lot more to answer for than most people are aware. If the actually gave a damn about the few neighbours that had a s problem this may have not gotten as far as it has. There have been problems at the track long before BAC decided they wanted to push through the DA to improve the circuit and maybe they should have thought about that first.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 16 Jul 2022, 08:37 (Ref:4119659)   #68
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
BAC have a lot more to answer for than most people are aware. If the actually gave a damn about the few neighbours that had a s problem this may have not gotten as far as it has. There have been problems at the track long before BAC decided they wanted to push through the DA to improve the circuit and maybe they should have thought about that first.
As I suggested earlier in the thread a bit of hearts and minds diplomacy instead of we will do it and stuff them might have resulted in a result for everyone. The threats issued to move the operation had no teeth and they were only issued when it became apparent things were not going their way, that has been the style for years from my limited experience.
Old 19 Jul 2022, 04:56 (Ref:4119857)   #69
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe a little light at the end of the tunnel..... just hope it isnt the train coming the other way.

Quote:
The two parties (BAC and Goulburn Council) have now met over the matter, with council issuing a brief joint statement late yesterday.

“Goulburn Mulwaree Council and the Benalla Auto Club met [on Monday] to discuss the recent Land and Environment Court judgement and the future operations of Wakefield Park,” it reads.

“Both organisations are committed to working together to investigate options, and to advocate for the long-term future of the facility.”
Goulburn council to advocate for Wakefield Park future
Old 19 Jul 2022, 05:46 (Ref:4119859)   #70
Casper
Veteran

They can talk all they want but if the ruling can't be changed the end result is what we see now unless I have missed something and not being privy to the events which led to this is quite possible. Of course if things go really south because of any of the parties arc up on the whole matter maybe things could get worse.
Old 20 Jul 2022, 07:09 (Ref:4119919)   #71
Casper
Veteran

A bit more on this apparently WP has not been abiding by the 1993 DA and has never attempted to update it so the Land & Environment Court told them to abide by the 1993 DA, post 424 on the linked page explains it. WP's (BAC) management just plain blew the whole thing and if incompetence was involved they get what they deserve. Unfortunately their incompetence will have dire consequences for motor sport in NSW. I must admit I am glad I am not an active competitor these days but those that are might have unusable cars/bikes or less usable and BAC have a asset they have to largely write off, electric cars on slicks would be OK.

CAUTION, IF BAD LANGUAGE OFFENDS YOU DON'T GO TO THE LINKED PAGE.

https://performanceforums.com/forums...for-nsw/page29
Old 21 Jul 2022, 00:49 (Ref:4119985)   #72
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Goulburn business is going to regret this decision in a big way.
They didn't make the decision though (nor the council), the court did unless I am mistaken?
Old 21 Jul 2022, 01:58 (Ref:4119988)   #73
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
They didn't make the decision though (nor the council), the court did unless I am mistaken?
That doesn't mean they weren't benefiting from the management at WP ignoring the DA limitations that had been in place from day one and understanding that means everyone involved was aware of the problems being put in place by having WP built in the first place. Now I can see why kart racing was abandoned at WP, getting rid of that must have removed a lot of noise. Some of the misinformed comments in Speedcafe are simply ludicrous and shooting from the hip instead of actually understanding what has led to this decision.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 05:15 (Ref:4119993)   #74
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
WP Update

So many ill-informed comments here...

The LEC approved BAC's DA...they also imposed heaps of restrictions...so good and bad news.

Council (Peter Walker, Mayor) is fully supportive of the track as he (and I assume most of the council) is well aware of huge amount of local and business support for the track.

Both sides currently in negotiations for a workable program and way ahead...

A cruise to Goulburn is set for 31st July "Cruise for Wakefield" organised by Tom Levine from Facebook...I very much hope that this activity does not attract any bogan attention seekers looking to cause mischief. I urge all attendees to be alert for troublemakers...also, you can bet that the local HWP and Police Academy will be made aware of the "cruise".
Old 21 Jul 2022, 07:16 (Ref:4120003)   #75
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
So many ill-informed comments here...

The LEC approved BAC's DA...they also imposed heaps of restrictions...so good and bad news.

Council (Peter Walker, Mayor) is fully supportive of the track as he (and I assume most of the council) is well aware of huge amount of local and business support for the track.

Both sides currently in negotiations for a workable program and way ahead...

A cruise to Goulburn is set for 31st July "Cruise for Wakefield" organised by Tom Levine from Facebook...I very much hope that this activity does not attract any bogan attention seekers looking to cause mischief. I urge all attendees to be alert for troublemakers...also, you can bet that the local HWP and Police Academy will be made aware of the "cruise".
Did the circuit abide by the DA or not????