Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jun 2023, 16:51 (Ref:4164019)   #1401
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
What I don't understand is why a basketball player (no matter how famous) gets chosen to flag off the Centenary 24 Hours....
May I help? If I tell you FIA, ACO, NASCAR, IMSA to name few and add Mickey Mouse or Charlie Chaplin can you hunt down the intruder? A clue: you can replace Charlie Chaplin with Buster Keaton!
Old 16 Jun 2023, 16:56 (Ref:4164020)   #1402
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
To be fair and refresh some memories, mine included, we already had typically french senile VIP dropping the flag on the start line. Embarrasing, is it? This James launched the cars, other things are less important IMO!
Old 16 Jun 2023, 17:00 (Ref:4164022)   #1403
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
find it frustrating when French people respond to my requests in English!
I had a good laugh when you reported giving help to American people looking for particular place. I remember that the words "get lost" have not "exactly" the same meaning in English compared to the typical american version, Peter!! No offense here, I'm sure you'll understand.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 08:25 (Ref:4164096)   #1404
rx555
Rookie

United States
St. Louis
rx555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a good time but the crowds sure made it tougher to get a good spectating spot. We camped with the Danish group at Karting Sud. They put on a nice spread and happy with our stay. They sure eat well! They had a big lunch planned before the race which made us a bit late to the track for the start and since we had no grandstand seats, we didn't really find anywhere to watch the start. The steps along the front straight were so packed. We ended up just stopping along the walking path along the Dunlop chicane on the inside. Couldn't see much but did meet a friendly bunch of British race fans. Wandered toward Tertre Rouge which was also packed. We maybe saw the cars for 30 min of the first 4 hours But then were redeemed when we joined our camping group for a bus trip to Mulsanne Corner. That was glorious. I could have stayed there all night. We got back to camp around 2300 and watched some fireworks before getting a little sleep. In the morning we headed back up near the Dunlop Bridge to watch for a few hours. We were gonna go to P. Curves near the camp site for the finish, but it too was a bit crowded so just watched the last hour or so on the jumbo screen in camp with some cold beverages.
We had really hoped to get to the museum but never did. It was closed on Friday when we were nearby. The line Sunday morning was way too long.
The historic parade on Friday was fun. Really enjoyed seeing those cars start up and run. The Rafale jet was also fun.
Also went to Classic British Welcome which was fun but maybe a bit too many newer cars for my taste. Would rather see more classics.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 09:11 (Ref:4164100)   #1405
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The lady doing interviews at the Classic British Welcome kept asking one driver if his dad had paid for his Ferrari. I suspect this is a gallic joke but it did seem to grate to me.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 09:12 (Ref:4164101)   #1406
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I had a good laugh when you reported giving help to American people looking for particular place. I remember that the words "get lost" have not "exactly" the same meaning in English compared to the typical american version, Peter!! No offense here, I'm sure you'll understand.
No worries, it caught me out too.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 11:51 (Ref:4164116)   #1407
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
As we established many on here did not know what a LeBron James was.

Anyone know who Dua Lipa is? https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctbi8A5s...M3MzIxNA%3D%3D

One of the biggest popstars in the world attended the race - I wonder if even the ACO were aware?
Outside of Beyonce/Taylor Swift attending, that's a big a name as you can get. From her point of view though, I assume it would have been pleasant to go relatively unnoticed and be able to enjoy the race. Seeing as Porsche invited her, that may have been part of the deal.

I wonder what she made of the likes of Zazie, Mika and Razorlight on stage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I think this world is really cruel. At least he spoke few words of French. Dont even think about a French speaking a foreign language (or writing it!!!).
https://www.essentiallysports.com/nb...ed-on-twitter/

The weirdest thing in this story is that many enthousiasts love the hair rising phrase "Gentlemen…… start your engines!" while the french version sounds a lot less exotic!
This is why we can't have nice things. I suspect part of this would be due to disagreeing with the choice of LeBron James, and then waiting for something to jump on.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 14:04 (Ref:4164128)   #1408
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thought getting LeBron James to do the flag was a masterstroke from the ACO or whoever pulled it off.

We've seen Jackie Ickx or TK do similar a thousand times, and many of the legends got something way more special than waving a piece of cloth anyway.

It got new eyeballs on the event from people who had never heard of Le Mans before. Kids in my class asked me if I'd heard LeBron James was starting the race when I came back! Highly doubt they'd ask the same question if it was Yannick Dalmas.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 14:30 (Ref:4164134)   #1409
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Still totally meaningless to me. May as well have been any sportsstar from any sport other than motor racing. No relevance to the event at all, just PR, pure and simple. It should be viewed as a coveted role undertaken by someone with event relevance, IMO. (I'll shut up now... ).
Old 17 Jun 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4164137)   #1410
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
All of that is fine. But, Basketball is not a mainstream sport outside of the USA, and if it takes someone like that to attract younger people to the sport, then IMO the sport is doing something wrong.

Can't see those younger people wanting to watch another race if Le Bron or someone similar isn't waving the flag.

The point being that the sport is more than just today, it's about history. Watch the drivers of today and if you are interested you'll want to find out about the previous eras. You aren't going to go back and find out who waved the flag in 1968, but you would want to know who won and in what car.

And I'm certainly not decrying the man himself who I believe, is an outstanding ambassador for his sport.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 14:52 (Ref:4164140)   #1411
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
PR is PR I guess, maybe there is something to be said about whether that should be the flag itself.

Not sure how Porsche smuggled Dua Lipa into their garage as well without anyone noticing. Massive power move to have arguably the biggest star in music coming to watch and not even mentioning it.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4164146)   #1412
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
They levitated her in.

I'm here all week.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 15:44 (Ref:4164148)   #1413
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
PR is PR I guess, maybe there is something to be said about whether that should be the flag itself.

Not sure how Porsche smuggled Dua Lipa into their garage as well without anyone noticing. Massive power move to have arguably the biggest star in music coming to watch and not even mentioning it.
I confess I wouldn't have recognised her even if someone pointed her out to me......
Old 17 Jun 2023, 16:25 (Ref:4164156)   #1414
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You're just an old curmudgeon.
Old 17 Jun 2023, 18:19 (Ref:4164198)   #1415
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I confess I wouldn't have recognised her even if someone pointed her out to me......
have no idea who she is or what she has ever done either
Old 17 Jun 2023, 19:03 (Ref:4164236)   #1416
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Highly doubt they'd ask the same question if it was Yannick Dalmas.
Sorry, Yannick who?
Old 17 Jun 2023, 19:08 (Ref:4164239)   #1417
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It may be fair to say that the flag waving bit has never garnered so much interest previously.
Old 18 Jun 2023, 09:18 (Ref:4164324)   #1418
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I remember Rafa Nadal did it a few years ago. That was actually quite a good choice, an internationally recognised sports star for a world famous sporting event
Old 18 Jun 2023, 11:41 (Ref:4164339)   #1419
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
You're just an old curmudgeon.
True......

BTW, the camera performed without a hitch, unlike the person holding it......
Old 18 Jun 2023, 11:57 (Ref:4164352)   #1420
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good stuff, I just sold one of them, still keeping the other as a spare.
Old 18 Jun 2023, 13:33 (Ref:4164360)   #1421
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
They levitated her in.

I'm here all week.
Porsche Hypercar pits did a lot of levitating last weekend
Old 18 Jun 2023, 19:32 (Ref:4164491)   #1422
JimboCycling
Rookie

JimboCycling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to everyone here who advised me ahead of last weekend. Had a fantastic weekend. Indianapolis and Arnage in the middle of the night a particular highlight.
Travel destinations couldn't provide Friday tickets but we enjoyed a trip into town for the drivers parade.
Beauséjour was fine but next time I might try to find something quieter (especially on Sunday evening!) and/or nearer to the village. Hot water all weekend
We left early on Monday morning with no issues including the drive through Rouen.

Does anyone have any experience going to le mans by train? Just wondering about a greener way to attend next time.
Old 18 Jun 2023, 21:57 (Ref:4164525)   #1423
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboCycling View Post
Thanks to everyone here who advised me ahead of last weekend. Had a fantastic weekend. Indianapolis and Arnage in the middle of the night a particular highlight.
Travel destinations couldn't provide Friday tickets but we enjoyed a trip into town for the drivers parade.
Beauséjour was fine but next time I might try to find something quieter (especially on Sunday evening!) and/or nearer to the village. Hot water all weekend
We left early on Monday morning with no issues including the drive through Rouen.

Does anyone have any experience going to le mans by train? Just wondering about a greener way to attend next time.
Friends did train one year from Essex - brought tents and stuff on rucksacks but no catering stuff - think they arranged for private camp site minibuses to pick them up and drop them for last/first bit of journey. think the train route in from CDG is easier if coming from overseas as no need for transfer in Paris between stations.

If you were on TD site inside circuit between track bridge over the road and the main BSJ campsite entrance with mainly pre-erected tents and on-site catering then it should be relatively easy on a train.

If you're in the depths of BSJ public camping it can be a trek but I didn't think it was too bad a walk from BSJ roundabout to start line area through Karting gate or if its hot and/or karting gate corridor gets large queues on race day mornings go up the road under shade of trees to CIK gate at next roundabout (also avoids getting held up if support races coming on/off track jus north of active karting circuit). For us the new Porsche bridge was great and it seems the other track crossings further up the circuit were much worse this year.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 04:44 (Ref:4164553)   #1424
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad you all had a fun time, makes me realise again what I am missing! It sounds like the journey there can be part of the fun. Really I must try it the experience one day, if I can find the will and time to do it.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 08:55 (Ref:4164580)   #1425
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboCycling View Post
...Does anyone have any experience going to le mans by train?...
Several in our group have used the trains in the past, either from Paris (having taken the Eurostar from London) or from CDG airport.

I all cases they'd arrange for their luggage and/or camping gear to be taken in cars by other people.

The tram from the station to circuit, and then either walk or get picked up by car, is easier than driving into town to collect them.