Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Sep 2022, 15:26 (Ref:4126593)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2023 Season

24 races on the calendar:

https://www.fia.com/news/2023-fia-fo...-approved-wmsc

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 20 Sep 2022 at 23:42. Reason: URL made clickable
Old 20 Sep 2022, 17:44 (Ref:4126606)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I notice they have Brazil rather than Sao Paolo. Is that deliberate?
Old 20 Sep 2022, 18:02 (Ref:4126608)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I notice they have Brazil rather than Sao Paolo. Is that deliberate?
I think so - they did the same for the 2022 season. Only Emilia Romagna and Imola are not shown by the FIA as host country for 2022.

The current schedule has the race listed as 'Brazil 2022' with the full race name listed as 'FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÊMIO DE SÃO PAULO 2022'

And just for further reference from 2020 - 'Formula 1 have announced that Sao Paulo will continue to be home to the Brazilian Grand Prix until 2025.

The Brazilian GP will officially be named the Formula 1 Grande Prêmio de São Paulo and will continue to be held at the famous Interlagos Circuit, with next year's race taking place on November 14, 2021.'

Interesting spot though - I guess technically the Mexico GP could also be listed as the Mexico City Grand Prix?
Old 20 Sep 2022, 19:00 (Ref:4126615)   #4
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
is 24 too many?

It dilutes the value of a grand prix, and if a team is dominant it can become quite tedious and fans lose interest - not too mention fatigue when too much of one thing is given to you.

But then again we get more races per year, and seeing how F1 is selling out almost all tracks is a monetary gain for Liberty

However all this ecological talk and the travel makes no sense from this point of view.
Also I wonder if some planning is based on the 2021 season where we had a championship fight till the end meaning each race was an event - and interest was high till the final race. However more often than not championships battle end up before the final race - and it might become quite dull to have a champion crowned 5-6 races before the end of the season.
Old 20 Sep 2022, 21:50 (Ref:4126634)   #5
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think so - they did the same for the 2022 season. Only Emilia Romagna and Imola are not shown by the FIA as host country for 2022.

The current schedule has the race listed as 'Brazil 2022' with the full race name listed as 'FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÊMIO DE SÃO PAULO 2022'

And just for further reference from 2020 - 'Formula 1 have announced that Sao Paulo will continue to be home to the Brazilian Grand Prix until 2025.

The Brazilian GP will officially be named the Formula 1 Grande Prêmio de São Paulo and will continue to be held at the famous Interlagos Circuit, with next year's race taking place on November 14, 2021.'

Interesting spot though - I guess technically the Mexico GP could also be listed as the Mexico City Grand Prix?
The 2022 is the Sao Paulo GP, as per its full race name - I believe this is because it's the Sao Paulo state government that's footing the bill, rather than the federal government?
(However, that link is weird, as the race is referred to twice as 'Brazil 2022/Brazilian Grand Prix', and twice as the 'Sao Paulo Grand Prix' - rather odd)

Same with the Mexico City GP name, rather than it being called the Mexican GP - shows who's funding it?
Old 21 Sep 2022, 00:22 (Ref:4126640)   #6
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
The 2022 is the Sao Paulo GP, as per its full race name - I believe this is because it's the Sao Paulo state government that's footing the bill, rather than the federal government?
(However, that link is weird, as the race is referred to twice as 'Brazil 2022/Brazilian Grand Prix', and twice as the 'Sao Paulo Grand Prix' - rather odd)

Same with the Mexico City GP name, rather than it being called the Mexican GP - shows who's funding it?
I had always considered that the move to have the Brazil race move back to Rio was the reason it was named the Sao Paulo GP, especially after the FIA gave them a contract till 2025.
Civil pride, regional antagonism, and all that.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 00:59 (Ref:4126641)   #7
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So only France gets the chop.
Will they replace China when it is almost certainly cancelled?You would think they would go back to 23 but it puts a 4 week gap in the calendar.
Qatar in October?Very hot.Too hot but not if you’re in an air conditioned suite.
Edit-Average daily maximum for Doha in October is 35 and average minimum is 24.Given that the race is early in the month and it cools off a lot towards the end of the month race week temperatures are likely to be well north of those averages.
That is getting close to dangerous.The only time to have a race there is either between Las Vegas and Abu Dhabi or back at the start of the season.

Last edited by Alan52; 21 Sep 2022 at 01:06.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 01:07 (Ref:4126643)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
is 24 too many?
Yes.

Although when I first read this I read it as “24 too many”! Which I thought was a little harsh.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 02:38 (Ref:4126647)   #9
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
is 24 too many?

It dilutes the value of a grand prix, and if a team is dominant it can become quite tedious and fans lose interest - not too mention fatigue when too much of one thing is given to you.

But then again we get more races per year, and seeing how F1 is selling out almost all tracks is a monetary gain for Liberty

However all this ecological talk and the travel makes no sense from this point of view.
Also I wonder if some planning is based on the 2021 season where we had a championship fight till the end meaning each race was an event - and interest was high till the final race. However more often than not championships battle end up before the final race - and it might become quite dull to have a champion crowned 5-6 races before the end of the season.
The Chase for the Formula One World Championship.......surely only a matter of time.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 04:32 (Ref:4126650)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That could make prime time on ITV with Bradley Walsh hosting!
Old 21 Sep 2022, 04:50 (Ref:4126652)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Just an observation (if 24 is considered too many) - how many F1 races were held in 1950?
Old 21 Sep 2022, 08:19 (Ref:4126658)   #12
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just an observation (if 24 is considered too many) - how many F1 races were held in 1950?
Wasn't it about 8/9 races?
Old 21 Sep 2022, 08:30 (Ref:4126659)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
6 plus the Indy 500. But then there were many non championship races too.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 09:21 (Ref:4126666)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Wasn't it about 8/9 races?
The 1950 Formula One season featured the inaugural FIA World Championship of Drivers.

The full season consisted of 24 races. The Championship consisted of six Grand Prix races, each held in Europe and open to Formula One cars, plus the Indianapolis 500, which was run to AAA National Championship regulations.

It's just an observation that there were sometimes as many GPs around that time as we have today. 1949 had 27 Grand Prix races for example.

I just thought it interesting amongst the opinion that 24 races 'dilutes the value of the GP'.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 09:28 (Ref:4126669)   #15
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
It's all about greed. There are six races which should not appear due to human rights issues, plus those in the USA. It's seems any tinpot dictatorship can buy a F1 race as part of a campaign to be "legitimate".
There is also the environmental aspect of transporting the whole circus around the world. Will drivers and team members want to do all those events? At the moment the TV companies are rotating their pundits etc.
Will drivers retire earlier in order to have a family life (eg Rosberg & Vettel)
Old 21 Sep 2022, 09:53 (Ref:4126671)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
There are six races which should not appear due to human rights issues, plus those in the USA.
That seems very specific.

If I may ask - which six (only six)? And why USA?

As I have mentioned previously - name any country on the calendar and I could put forward an argument on why the human rights record in that county means they should not host a GP.

If I take Christopher Farris and Keith Schnakenberg's Human Rights Protection Scores as a guide, then I would reach the conclusion that the six races you refer to are (worst country first):
Brazil, Mexico, China, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan and UAE.

(USA actually scores worse than Azerbaijan and UAE).
Old 21 Sep 2022, 10:42 (Ref:4126672)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The 1950 Formula One season featured the inaugural FIA World Championship of Drivers.

The full season consisted of 24 races. The Championship consisted of six Grand Prix races, each held in Europe and open to Formula One cars, plus the Indianapolis 500, which was run to AAA National Championship regulations.

It's just an observation that there were sometimes as many GPs around that time as we have today. 1949 had 27 Grand Prix races for example.

I just thought it interesting amongst the opinion that 24 races 'dilutes the value of the GP'.
What were the 24 and what were they called?

And yes, a lot of those were “diluted”. This happened p as the entry lists varied. This time the dilution is due to fatigue.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 10:45 (Ref:4126673)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
As I have mentioned previously - name any country on the calendar and I could put forward an argument on why the human rights record in that county means they should not host a GP.
And had previously been established you can list many technically, but a very simple consideration and realism shows you are just being technical not practical about it.

And you would do well to remember the crap we had before when you kept going there.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 10:48 (Ref:4126674)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What were the 24 and what were they called?

And yes, a lot of those were “diluted”. This happened p as the entry lists varied. This time the dilution is due to fatigue.
I agree - it is not entirely comparable. As I say, just an observation on the 'volume' of races compared to the past.

The Championship events were:
British Grand Prix
Monaco Grand Prix
Indianapolis 500
Swiss Grand Prix
Belgian Grand Prix
French Grand Prix
Italian Grand Prix

The non-Championship events were:
XI Pau Grand Prix
II Richmond Trophy
V San Remo Grand Prix
IV Grand Prix de Pari
XII British Empire Trophy
IV Gran Premio di Bari
IV J.C.C. Jersey Road Race
XII Circuit de l'Albigeois
I Grote Prijs van Nederland
III Grand Prix des Nations
I Nottingham Trophy
IV Ulster Trophy
XIX Coppa Acerbo
I Sheffield Telegraph Trophy
II BRDC International Trophy
III Goodwood Trophy
X Gran Premio de Penya Rhin
Old 21 Sep 2022, 10:53 (Ref:4126676)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
And had previously been established you can list many technically, but a very simple consideration and realism shows you are just being technical not practical about it.
It's why I think it is a subject best avoided - but for some reason posters keep bringing it up as a reason to not visit certain countries, usually for other prejudicial reasons.

Is there a practical solution? Where would the line be drawn over an acceptable level of Human Rights?
Attached Thumbnails
human-rights-protection.png  
Old 21 Sep 2022, 11:33 (Ref:4126683)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Argh. It wasn’t even a subtle hint. No, you are the person taking it to this point. OK. As we can see with that last post.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 11:38 (Ref:4126686)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I agree - it is not entirely comparable. As I say, just an observation on the 'volume' of races compared to the past.

The Championship events were:
British Grand Prix
Monaco Grand Prix
Indianapolis 500
Swiss Grand Prix
Belgian Grand Prix
French Grand Prix
Italian Grand Prix

The non-Championship events were:
XI Pau Grand Prix
II Richmond Trophy
V San Remo Grand Prix
IV Grand Prix de Pari
XII British Empire Trophy
IV Gran Premio di Bari
IV J.C.C. Jersey Road Race
XII Circuit de l'Albigeois
I Grote Prijs van Nederland
III Grand Prix des Nations
I Nottingham Trophy
IV Ulster Trophy
XIX Coppa Acerbo
I Sheffield Telegraph Trophy
II BRDC International Trophy
III Goodwood Trophy
X Gran Premio de Penya Rhin
Notably, many not called Grand Prix.

This is another example of a simple pedantic view fails to show understanding.

Show much other stuff we could go into that means that just because there were some other races in 1950 does nothing to demonstrate whether 24 races is saturation in 2023.

The cars, the media, the championship, the entrants, etc.. almost so obvious none of it needs saying.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 11:54 (Ref:4126693)   #23
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's why I think it is a subject best avoided - but for some reason posters keep bringing it up as a reason to not visit certain countries, usually for other prejudicial reasons.

Is there a practical solution? Where would the line be drawn over an acceptable level of Human Rights?
Excluding the fact that graph is basically warmed garbage and cherry picked data that actually doesn't show anything about a government but rather how those chosen to draw the data wish to be controlled. If you're going to bring to pretend your bringing facts at least understand how your data is drawn
Old 21 Sep 2022, 12:16 (Ref:4126702)   #24
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Notably, many not called Grand Prix.

This is another example of a simple pedantic view fails to show understanding.

Show much other stuff we could go into that means that just because there were some other races in 1950 does nothing to demonstrate whether 24 races is saturation in 2023.

The cars, the media, the championship, the entrants, etc.. almost so obvious none of it needs saying.
I see you have again decided to ignore the context and intent behind a post to try and score points from me.

Look back at what I posted on the subject:

'Just an observation (if 24 is considered too many) - how many F1 races were held in 1950?'

'It's just an observation that there were sometimes as many GPs around that time as we have today. 1949 had 27 Grand Prix races for example.
I just thought it interesting amongst the opinion that 24 races 'dilutes the value of the GP'.'

'I agree - it is not entirely comparable. As I say, just an observation'

You repeatedly ignored the point that I was just making an observation, not making any claim that the situations are comparable or identical.

I was also not the poster that brought into the discussion any issues surrounding the countries that host races, I was making observations based on the quantity of races. Another poster raised the HR issue, with a very specific quantity of venues that should be excluded. I queried the justification behind those six specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Excluding the fact that graph is basically warmed garbage and cherry picked data that actually doesn't show anything about a government but rather how those chosen to draw the data wish to be controlled. If you're going to bring to pretend your bringing facts at least understand how your data is drawn
I agree with you here - the point I was trying to make (poorly it seems) when I queried which were the six races that had been included along with the USA as not being suitable for F1. This is one example of why, when making such claims, you have to understand the context within which they are made.

If I refer back to the original statement - 'There are six races which should not appear due to human rights issues, plus those in the USA.' - perhaps a more appropriate question would be simply to ask: "how did you reach the conclusion over which six races plus the USA should be removed from the calendar?"
Old 21 Sep 2022, 14:45 (Ref:4126734)   #25
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think when looking at the issue of Human Rights I think we should look at who is the organiser and who is the beneficiary

In Europe and US, I believe majority of GPs are organised by private organisations using mainly private funds. The state or local council only contributes little to it. However in more recent GPs, the state is active in organising these events(SA, Qatar, Russia, Abu Dhabi) and they use these events to promote their countries. In this case I believe the situation becomes political and should be fair to be questioned on matters such as Human Rights