Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Mar 2023, 10:10 (Ref:4146891)   #1
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SVG on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...38694974278725

Shane van Gisbergen
repootsndS5h88ggu4ui25att3u6ha94t5cum07098atf008259a91m4454h ·
Sorry for this long post, I thought I'd share some thoughts seeing as I kept most things to myself yesterday.
Most people probably have noticed I have been pretty quiet publicly over the past couple of months. My purpose of writing this is not to 'explain myself' nor to expect sympathy for the public bashing that some of us drivers get, I guess I’ve always been told like most of us as kids ‘If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all.’ I will never forget I’m in an extremely fortunate position of being a V8 Supercar driver, my dream job.
It’s not a secret I haven’t been a fan of the way the Gen3 car feels and drives, and behind closed doors I’ve been pretty critical of things and tried to make it better, firstly with feedback to the category in the prototype testing and now with my team trying to make the race spec car to my liking.
The category seems to think our complaints and gripes with the car will ‘make better racing’ if we are struggling and we are told to be positive and show the sport in a good light, which of course I understand the last part. I try to be as neutral as I can with my critiques of the car, I act with the intention of representing the drivers trying to make the car better for everyone.
As much as I don’t have a good feeling with the car at the moment it drops perfectly into my strengths - Hard to drive, on edge, hard on tyres. Perfect for me! So what am I complaining about? I guess I want not only myself, but all drivers to be getting out of the car raving about how awesome and fun it is to drive. Which is something that’s not really happening now.
Over the weekend I probably said a bit too much publicly on Friday about the heat of the cars, although it did prove fruitful getting extra cooling for the drivers. Many still struggled, including myself with the heat. Unfortunately that upset some of the top brass and hence my adopted media strategy for Sunday ‘if you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say it at all’. I just knuckled down and drove my arse off on track.
I understand it’s my duty to represent the sport in a good light as Champion, I will do that to the best of my ability by being myself off track, racing hard on track for my team members, team partners and our fans. It was a real kick in the teeth hearing those comments from a 5 time champion – someone I look up to and respect. I am not going to pretend it’s all roses when it is not.
The messages I have received today from fans, friends, colleagues and media members has been surprising and amazing. I was pretty down last night so to have such support today from the people that matter is a great feeling.
I love my team, they have been awesome this last couple of months helping me prepare and be at my best at Newcastle. I can’t thank them enough.
See you at the GP
SVG
Old 13 Mar 2023, 11:11 (Ref:4146896)   #2
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those unable to understand Kiwi, he says Skaife is a ***t and he will likewise give Skaife the finger when he wins the 2023 championship.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 19:15 (Ref:4146954)   #3
Ares
Racer

Ares should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was also a driver's collective that was putting drivers views to Supercars around the spec of the Gen 3 car, Supercars supported the feedback. Or though driver's opinions and concerns have largely been ignored and Supercars have pretty much just done what they wanted with no consideration. It's sounding very much like there is the car drive it and shut up and do it with a smile on your face. Turn up to our run press conference and say want we want you to say and look happy about it. If you don't toe the line MS will bag you live on air.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 19:34 (Ref:4146956)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely it is not right for MS to wear so many hats and be part of the media presentation. To do what he has done this last round is just unethical. As a kingpin in Supercars and the Gen 3 development he seems to now be mandating he is the only one in the paddock with freedom of speach.
He, it seems, can say what he likes about any driver yet they have to say only nice things about the car (that Skaife is so personally invested in) Saying nothing is not an option for drivers.

He is an arrogant dick.

I just think his position is untenable and he should stand down from the commentary / media side. I wouldnt miss him one iota. There are others more suitable for the job.

I realise this is a personal opinion.... and there are no doubt others that, as he seems to, thinks the sun shines out of his behind.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 21:04 (Ref:4146966)   #5
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Surely it is not right for MS to wear so many hats and be part of the media presentation. To do what he has done this last round is just unethical. As a kingpin in Supercars and the Gen 3 development he seems to now be mandating he is the only one in the paddock with freedom of speach.
He, it seems, can say what he likes about any driver yet they have to say only nice things about the car (that Skaife is so personally invested in) Saying nothing is not an option for drivers.

He is an arrogant dick.

I just think his position is untenable and he should stand down from the commentary / media side. I wouldnt miss him one iota. There are others more suitable for the job.

I realise this is a personal opinion.... and there are no doubt others that, as he seems to, thinks the sun shines out of his behind.
Old 14 Mar 2023, 08:28 (Ref:4147000)   #6
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

He is an arrogant dick.

It’s the opinion of nearly anyone that has to listen to his 10 cliche vocabulary.A few years ago Speedcafe ran of poll of favourite Supercar TV commentators.Skaife was down near the bottom with pit reporters like Andrew Jones.
Both him and Crompton are hopelessly conflicted and need to decide whether they want to be commentators or Supercar office holders.
Old 14 Mar 2023, 13:18 (Ref:4147019)   #7
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
" all drivers to be getting out of the car raving about how awesome and fun it is to drive"

That's where SVG doesn't get it. It's not about how much fun it is for the drivers it's about how good it is for the spectators. Cars that are fun to drive don't necessarily translate to cars that are fun to watch.
Old 14 Mar 2023, 23:48 (Ref:4147106)   #8
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
" all drivers to be getting out of the car raving about how awesome and fun it is to drive"

That's where SVG doesn't get it. It's not about how much fun it is for the drivers it's about how good it is for the spectators. Cars that are fun to drive don't necessarily translate to cars that are fun to watch.
The cockpit and driver cooling is a WHS issue that transcends whether it is fun to drive and watch.The drivers have been on about this since the initial Gen 3 prototype broke cover and still its not right.Not that hard to do either.Copy the GT3 seating position and install air conditioning like GT3 has.Those macho fans that want to see drivers collapsing should find another blood sport.
A lot of the driver comments are about the quality of racing the cars will allow.That’s how they have their fun.
I like the look of the cars and it is too early to tell how good the racing will be.Anyone on the outside needs to wait 3-4 rounds.
Old 15 Mar 2023, 03:54 (Ref:4147125)   #9
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it's too early to say the racing will be good - it won't.

Even after all the changes it's still a tire management game. IMO this does not generate good racing. Good racing is you catch someone then try and pass them. Currently, you catch someone, have a chat with the data engineer, analyze wether or not a overtake is worth it, probably not, give a gap and hold station until the end (or maybe try for a pitstop overtake!!!).

Riveting stuff.
Old 15 Mar 2023, 09:43 (Ref:4147137)   #10
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The cockpit and driver cooling is a WHS issue that transcends whether it is fun to drive and watch.The drivers have been on about this since the initial Gen 3 prototype broke cover and still its not right.Not that hard to do either.Copy the GT3 seating position and install air conditioning like GT3 has.Those macho fans that want to see drivers collapsing should find another blood sport.
A lot of the driver comments are about the quality of racing the cars will allow.That’s how they have their fun.
I like the look of the cars and it is too early to tell how good the racing will be.Anyone on the outside needs to wait 3-4 rounds.
If the only thing concerning him is how hot it is then he should say that only rather than saying "raving about how awesome and fun it is to drive".
Old 15 Mar 2023, 20:45 (Ref:4147214)   #11
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone is always very critical of Mark Skaife and how much media coverage they give SVG and the support he gives him.

The first time Skaife is critical of SVG, everyone turns on Skaife. Doesn't matter what he says, everyone turns on him.

I am not a Skaife fan at all, but don't you think there is double standards here??
Old 15 Mar 2023, 21:55 (Ref:4147228)   #12
Compromised
Veteran

Under normal conditions, yes, there is a double standard.

However, Skaife is deeply involved in Supercars media AND Supercars itself.

The question then is, was Skaife admonishing SVG whilst wearing his commentating hat, or, was it more a semi official rebuke from Supercars itself?

You can see how messy the situation can become.
Old 15 Mar 2023, 22:57 (Ref:4147231)   #13
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Skaife backs down?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motors...c86947ec6b2bb6
Old 16 Mar 2023, 02:31 (Ref:4147241)   #14
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
I don't think it's too early to say the racing will be good - it won't.

Even after all the changes it's still a tire management game. IMO this does not generate good racing. Good racing is you catch someone then try and pass them. Currently, you catch someone, have a chat with the data engineer, analyze wether or not a overtake is worth it, probably not, give a gap and hold station until the end (or maybe try for a pitstop overtake!!!).

Riveting stuff.
Overall, the sport has not benefited from the greater role played by engineers, strategists and other advisors, especially in their ability to communicate with the drivers in real-time.

We might recall the F1 tried to limit what could be discussed between driver and engineer in the race, but the team claimed that such a limit was a safety issue and the restrictions fell away.
Old 16 Mar 2023, 02:43 (Ref:4147242)   #15
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Overall, the sport has not benefited from the greater role played by engineers, strategists and other advisors, especially in their ability to communicate with the drivers in real-time.

We might recall the F1 tried to limit what could be discussed between driver and engineer in the race, but the team claimed that such a limit was a safety issue and the restrictions fell away.
Spot on.

The tire issue is only secondary to the "engineering" issue. I want a driver to decide for himself if an overtake is worth it, can he catch the guy in front without cooking his tires etc. At the moment though it's almost like every decision goes through a risk analysis algorithm, which is great for safe, consistent, low risk driving, but I don't think that's what most people want
Old 16 Mar 2023, 23:22 (Ref:4147349)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Doesn’t read that way..

Clumsy and amateur are the words that probably describe the incident best..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Mar 2023, 04:53 (Ref:4147373)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post

It went away because it was stupid! Or at least the way they tried to do it was.

The safety thing was not really the issue. That’s like that banning of Christmas stories.

The main problem is that we’ve got a handle on how things work now. Tyres, aero, etc…

Not that I’m against a ban of pits to car radio. Let the person who knows how to boringly save the tyres without the engineer telling them win.
Old 26 Mar 2023, 17:44 (Ref:4149239)   #18
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It’s the opinion of nearly anyone that has to listen to his 10 cliche vocabulary.A few years ago Speedcafe ran of poll of favourite Supercar TV commentators.Skaife was down near the bottom with pit reporters like Andrew Jones.
Both him and Crompton are hopelessly conflicted and need to decide whether they want to be commentators or Supercar office holders.
Bizarre, I'd say they're my 2 favourite commentators by far. Crompo a clear 1st ahead of Skaife, though.
Old 26 Mar 2023, 20:50 (Ref:4149270)   #19
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Bizarre, I'd say they're my 2 favourite commentators by far. Crompo a clear 1st ahead of Skaife, though.
Doesn’t it bother you that they never utter a critical comment about anything or anyone Supercars?Drivers,teams,officials,events or anything?
Neil said that he once made a critical comment about a DSO decision at Winton over 20 years ago that upset some people and has deliberately avoided saying anything that might upset anyone ever since.That’s not commentary it’s banal cheerleading.
Old 1 Apr 2023, 11:04 (Ref:4149889)   #20
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Doesn’t it bother you that they never utter a critical comment about anything or anyone Supercars?Drivers,teams,officials,events or anything?
Neil said that he once made a critical comment about a DSO decision at Winton over 20 years ago that upset some people and has deliberately avoided saying anything that might upset anyone ever since.That’s not commentary it’s banal cheerleading.
"Absolutely 110% wrong Colin Bond"
From memory Greg Murphy lost his brake marker, bumped Craig Lowdnes off the track, and got away with it. Bondy was the DSO - Neil made that statement after Bondy had the hot mic.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 09:12 (Ref:4150038)   #21
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post
"Absolutely 110% wrong Colin Bond"
From memory Greg Murphy lost his brake marker, bumped Craig Lowdnes off the track, and got away with it. Bondy was the DSO - Neil made that statement after Bondy had the hot mic.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=533657425119379
Old 3 Apr 2023, 01:51 (Ref:4150191)   #22
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That will never change as Supercars makes their own TV coverage, so therefore they control the narrative. None of the commentary team are independent, as such, but Larko is likely to be more open than Crompton, Skaife, or Chad who is essentially a Crompton staffer it would seem.

If Crompton walks away at the end of this year, we need to be mindful of who might be the next one as they'll be a lot younger and we could be stuck with them for a long time. Some of likely replacements are far more cringeworthy than Neil and Mark. Supercars could relax the rules on them a bit more so that they can tell the stories that they currently can't and that would do Supercars, and RACE, a lot of good and silence the naysayers a bit more too.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 09:53 (Ref:4150232)   #23
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mite5255 View Post
Damn - memory was close! Thanks!
Old 3 Apr 2023, 10:24 (Ref:4150243)   #24
mite5255
Racer