Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 25 Mar 2023, 14:59 (Ref:4149132)   #1
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MotoGP 2023

The new format certainly has increased spectator numbers at Portimao, the first ever sprint race happens this weekend. Jack Miller looking good on the KTM.
Old 25 Mar 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4149136)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Big crash for Espargaro in practice. Hopefully he’s not out for too long
Old 25 Mar 2023, 16:08 (Ref:4149146)   #3
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great scrap for 12 laps, tyre conservation non existent, reminds me of a Bemsee meeting at Brands, exciting stuff
Old 25 Mar 2023, 19:15 (Ref:4149170)   #4
N Martin
Racer

N Martin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridN Martin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must admit I was quite sceptical of the new sprint races. But I did enjoy watching that. Hopefully the riding standards improves in the future. Enea has a broken collar bone. Also wish Pol Espargaro a speedy recovery that was a nasty one. Reminded me of Jorge Martin a couple of years back. No warm up for moto2 and 3 tomorrow a short one for Motogp. Then we're racing yet again. Phew!
Old 25 Mar 2023, 20:26 (Ref:4149178)   #5
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Martin View Post
I must admit I was quite sceptical of the new sprint races. But I did enjoy watching that. Hopefully the riding standards improves in the future. Enea has a broken collar bone. Also wish Pol Espargaro a speedy recovery that was a nasty one. Reminded me of Jorge Martin a couple of years back. No warm up for moto2 and 3 tomorrow a short one for Motogp. Then we're racing yet again. Phew!
It really is quite frenetic, for sure it will put more emphasis on qualifying. There was an air of desperation in that sprint race but with such a short race there is no option to ride a measured race preserving tyres for the last couple of laps which has been the format for some while.
Old 26 Mar 2023, 14:37 (Ref:4149217)   #6
N Martin
Racer

N Martin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridN Martin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pecco Bagnaia and ducati picking up where they left off last year. Marc Marquez is the big talking point. A lot of injuries this weekend latest being Marquez will be unfit for Argentina but will wait and see on that. Enea is out a terrible start to his factory Ducati career. Wishing Pol all the best in his recovery. On a more positive note thoroughly enjoyed the moto2 race. Canet and Acosta battle was brilliant two riders at their best going at it. Brilliant stuff. Congrats to Pedro on that one. Fantastic performance by both. Argentina next weekend. Bring it on.
Old 26 Mar 2023, 16:15 (Ref:4149224)   #7
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
I haven't heard about Oliveira's injuries but for me that incident with Marquez pile driving into the side of Miguel is totally unacceptable. At this level and with all his experience MM should not be riding in this irresponsible way, if it were anyone other than a multiple world champion the penalty would be a multiple race ban. We all know what an incredible rider MM is but that was absolute desperation.
Old 26 Mar 2023, 19:12 (Ref:4149243)   #8
N Martin
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I haven't heard about Oliveira's injuries but for me that incident with Marquez pile driving into the side of Miguel is totally unacceptable. At this level and with all his experience MM should not be riding in this irresponsible way, if it were anyone other than a multiple world champion the penalty would be a multiple race ban. We all know what an incredible rider MM is but that was absolute desperation.
I agree I wouldn't mind seeing a more harsh penalty. Racing stewards can be unpredictable in any series. He's trying to outperform what that Honda can do is the problem I believe. He's having to take risks to get results out that bike that isn't fit for purpose. All the other Hondas were nowhere once again. Not making excuses for it though. Honda along with Yamaha are well and truly up the creek without the proverbial paddle. How times have changed in MotoGP.
Old 26 Mar 2023, 19:57 (Ref:4149252)   #9
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Martin View Post
He's trying to outperform what that Honda can do is the problem I believe. He's having to take risks to get results out that bike that isn't fit for purpose. All the other Hondas were nowhere once again. .
Exactly that and there's no doubting his talent but it's just no excuse to say I missed my braking point and cannon into other riders. Thankfully Oliveira's injuries are minimal albeit painful but the real joke is MM's penalty of a double long lap in Argentina - shameful.
Old 27 Mar 2023, 07:37 (Ref:4149320)   #10
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marquez (M) was not flavour of the month in the main grandstand ... Having previously been to Portimao for ELMS in 2018, I was looking forward to this weekend. Bought tickets in the grandstand and assumed, as you do, that you could walk round the track on Friday / Saturday, at least. Nope, grandstand or grandstand for three days (track explained it was Dorna decision). Seemed to be very few people out around the track Friday and open terraced seating still no where near full Sunday. So photography limited, but lots of chance to get shots of pit-lane and grid. Enjoyed the racing; not much PA, so atmosphere a little flat at times (perhaps I am too used to Bruno Whatsisname at Le Mans shouting the odds). Would I go back - yes, but for a event where I could wander round - it is a stupendous track, must be a ball to ride / drive and was pleasantly warm and sunny (at the end of March !).
Old 27 Mar 2023, 10:04 (Ref:4149338)   #11
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about Joel Kelso punting Daniel Holgado after the finish line - broken ankle for the poor fella...
Old 27 Mar 2023, 11:09 (Ref:4149343)   #12
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Exactly that and there's no doubting his talent but it's just no excuse to say I missed my braking point and cannon into other riders. Thankfully Oliveira's injuries are minimal albeit painful but the real joke is MM's penalty of a double long lap in Argentina - shameful.
And because he was to serve the penalty specifically at Argentina, the fact he is now confirmed out of that race with a broken bone, he wont have to ever serve the penalty.

The system is screwed if by virtue of missing a race in which he was to serve a penalty means the penalty is not carried over to the first race he can serve it, it is just dissolved.

And dont give me he has been punished enough by missing Argentina... his reason for missing the race is self inflicted injuries brought about by his irresponsible and boneheaded riding. He has wrecked two riders races and potentially ruined their championships as well.

I sincerely hope that Speedcafe have their information wrong....

Quote:
....Marquez had been issued a Double Long Lap Penalty over the incident, although he will now not have to serve it given he misses the race in which he was to serve his punishment....
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/03/27...entina-motogp/
Old 27 Mar 2023, 16:00 (Ref:4149391)   #13
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Not only but also:"Pramac Racing’s Jorge Martin, who Marquez clipped on his way past before smashing into the #88 Aprilia, suspects he has a broken toe and a possible ankle injury."
Old 28 Mar 2023, 10:57 (Ref:4149475)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not sure if the Stewards have taken note of Jorge Martin's criticism of both Marc's riding and the Stewards original double long lap penalty verdict, because the Notification of Sanction stipulated that it be taken in Argentina meaning he would not have to take the penalty with his withdrawal from that round..... anyway common sense and justice has prevailed, with the FIM Stewards now altered their original verdict.

The penalty has been redefined and is now to be served at the next race MM actually takes part in.

In its original decision, the stewards accused Marquez of being “overly aggressive” and of “irresponsible riding” in his crash.

Quote:
In updating its verdict, a stewards’ report read: “Considering the injury and non-participation of Marc Marquez, rider #93, at the Gran Premio Michelin de la Républica Argentina, and with a view to complying with the intention underlying the decision taken by the FIM MotoGP Stewards Panel, the double long lap penalty shall be served by the rider at the next MotoGP race in which he will be able to participate.”
As an aside Oliveira has now undergone additional tests for ligament damage... clearly the additional tests have uncovered further injuries to Miguel and he has now also joined the list of withdrawals from Argentina.

Now that list is up to four.... Oliveira joining Marquez, Bastianini , and Pol Espargaro
Old 30 Mar 2023, 06:03 (Ref:4149654)   #15
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAx5D1

An initial selection of images from the upper grandstand.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 13:16 (Ref:4149676)   #16
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAx5D1

An initial selection of images from the upper grandstand.
Great pics David... thanks for sharing.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 13:26 (Ref:4149677)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bagnaia, what a weekend. He's already odds on favourite for another title.

Marquez, I don't think we'll ever see anything like his best ever again. I'm trying not to be too harsh on him for the incident with Oliveira, because it was a mistake, nothing more, but surely he should have realised he was being overambitious there.
Old 1 Apr 2023, 19:03 (Ref:4149937)   #18
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
A bit of a depleted field in Argentina but wow! what another crackerjack sprint race, if you can predict a winner in these short format races you need to be working the share market. Not too sure about the luggage handles.

Last edited by justracing; 1 Apr 2023 at 19:09.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 20:40 (Ref:4150163)   #19
N Martin
Racer

Yes the sprint race was a cracker. What a performance from Binder. The weather shook the field up a bit in todays main race. Pecco binned it. The aprilias showed much better pace in practice. Absolutely cracking job from Morbidelli this weekend. What a turnaround for him. Hopefully he can build on that keep the momentum going. Gutted he didn't get the podium thanks to the great late pace from Zarco. Bezzechi was untouchable today. A total class of his own. Dominant performance. Hopefully one or two of the missing riders will be back for the next one. Mir picked up an injury. The team morale at repsol honda must be at an all time low right now.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 08:23 (Ref:4150218)   #20
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Fabio speaks and reads japanese now. You know French and foreign languages…
Old 3 Apr 2023, 16:19 (Ref:4150296)   #21
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Fabio speaks and reads japanese now. You know French and foreign languages…

Good ride back through the field from Fabio though after his Japanese moment. Impressive ride too from Bezzechi in the conditions. Im sure Valentino is a happy man today. Not so much Bagnaia.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 17:50 (Ref:4150322)   #22
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
I know we all love the excitement but I fear these sprint races may result in some big injuries, I wince looking at some of the antics in the opening laps.
Old 17 Apr 2023, 13:50 (Ref:4151995)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Oh dear the Moto GP race of the Americas didn't go as expected, I won't spoil it for those that didn't see it live, however it was a deserving winner
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Apr 2023, 20:05 (Ref:4152136)   #24
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8k5blg
Old 20 Apr 2023, 13:03 (Ref:4152260)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

Great win for Rins, it will do his confidence a world of good. Yet another costly mistake by Bagnaia, but he made many a mistake last year and still won the title...