Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2023, 16:27 (Ref:4155866)   #1
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Track Limits

I've long hated the way drivers run far off the track onto the various kerbs, rumble strips, astroturf and green concrete that F1 circuits adorn their tracks with. It's now pleasing to see that in Britain Motorsport UK are now going to clamp down on track limits. From 1 June no part of any of the four wheels and tyres of a car may go beyond the limit of the track ie the white line painted around the edge of the track. It would be great if F1 and other international categories were to follow suit.
Old 13 May 2023, 18:37 (Ref:4155879)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
After the hoohah last weekend at Brands Hatch (BTCC running "prerelease" regulations) I would not hold out much hope for it being applied internationally.

As someone who has the joy of being a Judge of Fact on the odd occasion (or maybe a little more frequently than that), it's a nightmare of a job. When you've got 20+ single seaters coming at you, getting all the cars that are an inch over is all but impossible. And that means it's impossible to be completely consistent.

Funny though; the issue never comes up at Monaco.
Old 13 May 2023, 20:37 (Ref:4155897)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
After the hoohah last weekend at Brands Hatch (BTCC running "prerelease" regulations) I would not hold out much hope for it being applied internationally.

As someone who has the joy of being a Judge of Fact on the odd occasion (or maybe a little more frequently than that), it's a nightmare of a job. When you've got 20+ single seaters coming at you, getting all the cars that are an inch over is all but impossible. And that means it's impossible to be completely consistent.

Funny though; the issue never comes up at Monaco.
I'll order the concrete if you dig the footings........
Old 14 May 2023, 08:13 (Ref:4155934)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The best way to enforce track limits is by natural or physical barriers. Grass, gravel, Armco is what should be defining the track and “penalising” drivers. Some of the concrete run off at circuits defies logic, for example on the exit of the Bus Stop chicane at Spa. Why is there the need to have tarmac on the exit of a very slow chicane?
Old 14 May 2023, 08:34 (Ref:4155937)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree we need less tarmac runoff. Especially in places where the track limits argument comes up. After all drivers manage to cope with the walls at Monaco.
Old 14 May 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4155947)   #6
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I agree we need less tarmac runoff. Especially in places where the track limits argument comes up. After all drivers manage to cope with the walls at Monaco.
Hrm... Not all of them!
Old 14 May 2023, 12:00 (Ref:4155957)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If in places where they absolutely have to have tarmac run off for safety reasons, I would stipulate a minimum 2 metre strip of grass which would line the track, after that you can have tarmac, gravel whatever you want.
Old 14 May 2023, 12:21 (Ref:4155960)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hasent this problem been largely reduced by the new race directors with quali lap time being deleted and warnings and penalties during races?

Arguably there are still too many warnings but it far more regulated then it was a couple of years ago no?
Old 15 May 2023, 11:16 (Ref:4156230)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I first noticed this tarmac runoff plague at Silverstone 2002 when Massa span at T1 on the opening lap, then rejoined at the back. I don’t know if Silverstone was the first circuit to have tarmac run off? Thinking about it I recall Schumacher spinning off at Nurburgring and then rejoining but that may have been the year before.
Old 15 May 2023, 11:24 (Ref:4156232)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Hrm... Not all of them!
Old 15 May 2023, 11:34 (Ref:4156234)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
As this is in the F1 forum, I will talk about the F1 tracks.

I understand the Monaco comparison when discussing run off areas etc. I think that it is perhaps given in jest or light heartedly, but the subtlety of humour is often lost in black and white text. So perhaps some are serious by introducing that red herring into this discussion?

Anyway, the trend for newer street tracks like Baku and the other new mega fast street circuits introduced within the last few years is for a small mistake to potentially lead to a multi-million pound repair bill and driver injuries. That is not a good trend IMO, and in the modern safety conscious F1 world seems to be a massive retrograde step. I would rather get rid of most such tracks from the F1 calendar and have sensible discussions about track limits in safer purpose built tracks.
Old 15 May 2023, 14:27 (Ref:4156260)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be Le Castellet aka Circuit Paul Ricard could be a good example of a safe track "penalising" drivers going too far with no damage other than to the tires?
Old 15 May 2023, 19:00 (Ref:4156300)   #13
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clearly the GT's at Brands at the weekend didn't have the track limits rule applied to them....
Old 15 May 2023, 19:29 (Ref:4156302)   #14
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Clearly the GT's at Brands at the weekend didn't have the track limits rule applied to them....
I'm unsure if you're being sarcastic or not lol. Brands has the pressure sensors and penalised for activating them.
Old 15 May 2023, 19:48 (Ref:4156303)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Installed since a long time. what is said about nowadays:
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...d-up/10468190/
Old 16 May 2023, 04:52 (Ref:4156335)   #16
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm unsure if you're being sarcastic or not lol. Brands has the pressure sensors and penalised for activating them.
Watching them run out over the green lap after lap on exit of Hraham Hill bend suggests they weren’t switched on then!
Old 16 May 2023, 18:34 (Ref:4156464)   #17
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Watching them run out over the green lap after lap on exit of Hraham Hill bend suggests they weren’t switched on then!
Were they running under international rules where it's just one wheel that has to remain within the track boundaries? The one/no wheels off rule is UK specific and only applies to domestic championships as far as I know.
Old 16 May 2023, 18:44 (Ref:4156467)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Were they running under international rules where it's just one wheel that has to remain within the track boundaries?
Are you sure?
Old 16 May 2023, 21:57 (Ref:4156486)   #19
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yes indeed, they were running to FIA rules where (essentially) if one millimetre of one tyre remains in contact with the white line or the kerb, they're ok.

If none do, bingo.

There were several bingo calls which were processed according to the championship rules. The bulletins are available online.
Old 18 May 2023, 14:11 (Ref:4156714)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
As this is in the F1 forum, I will talk about the F1 tracks.

I understand the Monaco comparison when discussing run off areas etc. I think that it is perhaps given in jest or light heartedly, but the subtlety of humour is often lost in black and white text. So perhaps some are serious by introducing that red herring into this discussion?

Anyway, the trend for newer street tracks like Baku and the other new mega fast street circuits introduced within the last few years is for a small mistake to potentially lead to a multi-million pound repair bill and driver injuries. That is not a good trend IMO, and in the modern safety conscious F1 world seems to be a massive retrograde step. I would rather get rid of most such tracks from the F1 calendar and have sensible discussions about track limits in safer purpose built tracks.

Idk, they all seemed well behaved at Saudi and Baku. Hardly anyone in the wall there. Same with Miami, although that’s not quite the same
Old 24 May 2023, 19:54 (Ref:4157809)   #21
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSUK Clerks & Stewards had a zoom meeting this evening about Track Limits, Race & Respect etc. We were told that licence holders will be contacted by MSUK in the next couple of days.
Old 25 May 2023, 10:13 (Ref:4157882)   #22
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing that track limits were never discussed during the Nurburgring 24 hours!
Old 25 May 2023, 13:09 (Ref:4157908)   #23
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
All I can say is

AT LAST

I was first privy to Eduardo Freitas' Drivers Briefing at Porto, where, he sttated about the white line being a concrete wall... "if you cross it... I will think you have hit the wall.... I will flag your car.... I will pull you in... I will check the car for damage.... this may take time"

Now, finally, its being brought into the driving standards rules

" The principle of track limits is best visualised when one thinks of a street circuit, with hard barriers immediately adjacent to that white line around the track. Suffice to say no driver at such a circuit intentionally goes beyond the white line as they know the consequences would be one of significant damage to the vehicle, with the resulting costs and failure to continue in the race. That same core concept must be borne in mind
when you go to the open sweeps of Silverstone or Donington Park."

AGREED 10000% and I say that as a RACER as well as a CLERK .as a dear friend and international Clerk of the Course and Steward always used to say ".that accelerator works both ways you know!"

(John Smith will be having a ciggie outside race control "up there" and be saying "at least... ")
Old 25 May 2023, 13:15 (Ref:4157910)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
MSUK Clerks & Stewards had a zoom meeting this evening about Track Limits, Race & Respect etc. We were told that licence holders will be contacted by MSUK in the next couple of days.
The letter, complete with pictures, has just landed in my inbox.
Old 25 May 2023, 13:56 (Ref:4157925)   #25
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is the link to MSUK's page: https://www.motorsportuk.org/amendme...-track-limits/

The problem, as highlighted at the most recent BTCC meeting at Snetterton is/was that there were only Judges of Fact at 3 corners during the meeting. It seemed that it was a free for all everywhere else on the circuit which makes it illogical and certainly inconsistent. And that is not fair for any driver that is penalised on those 3 corners, but witnessing other drivers transgressing around the rest of the circuit.