philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Former F1 Driver Aussie for Endurance Karting Events

Just saw this press release:

F1 Driver and International Teams Line Up for Endurance Karting Events

1996 Formula One World Champion, Damon Hill, along with the BMW Williams F1 karting team and seven other international teams will headline one of three endurance karting events planned for New South Wales in 2002. Hill will be competing in the Dubbo 24 hour race, to be held on April 6th & 7th, 2002.

A 12 hour lead up race to the Dubbo event is being held at Eastern Creek International Karting Raceway on February 9th & 10th. This event will run through the night on the 1722 metre track configuration, reputed to be the longest karting circuit in the world and the first time it has been used. Brand new 2002 model twin engine BIZ endurance karts are available for teams of 4 or more drivers at a cost of $1,700 per team. These will line up against a strong field of experienced endurance drivers in their own karts.

“The Eastern Creek 12 hour is a fantastic opportunity to pit your skills against experienced drivers including karting champions and V8 Supercar drivers,” said John Macdonald from The Endurance Karting Association (TEKA). “Endurance karting is about consistency and strategy – pit stops, refueling and safety vehicles will all be factors which determine who is there to take the chequered flag at the end of a grueling 12 hours.”

Already, the series has created a lot of interest, not only in the karting community, but from the corporate sector as well. Managing Director of Eastern Creek International Karting Raceway, Garry Holt, will be fielding a team in the February event, comprising multiple Australian Champions, Darrell Smith and Troy Hunt, Top Kart Racing boss Tim Craig and himself, undoubtedly one of the hot favourites on paper.

"This event is like the Bathurst of karting," said Holt. "It has created a lot of interest from companies throughout the country who look at karting as a way of team building. Company signage and logos can be displayed on the karts and television coverage is in place for the 24 hour events.”

Anyone looking to put a team together can visit the TEKA website – www.teka.com.au - or TEKA by fax (02) 4257 3060, e-mail as@fresquita.com.au or phone (02) 4257 3707.

Last edited by philneast; 23 Jan 2002 at 01:02.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 13:45 (Ref:203189)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
cooool , both events sound excellent and I would love to attend both ..but I may pry myself away from here and try and get to one of them...now which one

both events look like being corkers and it would be great to see Damon hill have a crack it , I dont think he actually raced karts in his career , he started on Motorbikes and moved straight to Formula Ford I believe , but Im sure he had a play around in one plenty of times , it will be interesting to see how he goes.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 17:07 (Ref:204296)   #3
hysen
Racer

hysen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only time I can remember Hill in a kart was at one of the Paris Bercy events in about 1994/95. Unfortunatly he pulled out after practice due to a supposed injury, however the real reason was that he was well of the pace and did so to save himself the embarresment. So while i'm sure it'll be interesting to watch i wouldn't expect too much from him.
Old 28 Jan 2002, 01:26 (Ref:205598)   #4
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found out about hill racing at the dubbo 24hr race in the Sun-Herald and I astonished that a former champion was coming race Go Karts.
regards
The Man