Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 May 2002, 21:08 (Ref:277907)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We need a different points scoring system

I think that the FIA needs to implement a different points scoring system for 2003. A gap of four points between first and second is too much and is allowing domination by one team and driver far too easily. Here's my suggestion for a new points system:

1st - 8 points
2nd - 6 points
3rd - 4 points
4th - 3 points
5th - 2 points
6th - 1 points

I think this system will work very well. Championship points are just as valuable AND the championship would be much closer as a result.
Old 3 May 2002, 21:31 (Ref:277926)   #2
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the title but not the scoring. I think it should extend to at least the top ten finishers. Right now the back half of the grid have nothing to race for. If a driver finishes 7th, he might as well be 22 in the points chase. The driver will be listed as 7th but without points its a shallow reward. I think the races will be even more interesting too. Now we just look foreward to the top six. They are the only ones that count. If we were scoring top ten finishing teams, those like BAR would acutally be doing better than some teams that have had two top ten finishes by luck. Scoring points because everyone else failed is good but not as good as scoring on pace.
Old 3 May 2002, 22:12 (Ref:277958)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That gap of four poits exists entirely for that reason, It makes the game about winning. It rewards the philosophy thqat everyone who isn't a winner is a loser. Its totally intentional and we can see the result.

Personally, I'd rather see a big points differential between First and Second, but points paid through ten places.
Old 3 May 2002, 22:22 (Ref:277962)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The top 8 should score points IMO, and I'm in favour of points 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 being awarded for those places. That will make it a little less difficult for the midfield and backmarker teams to challenge for points, but at the same time, you will have to do a little more than just finish in an average race to score points. I'm not in favour of awarding points as far down as 10th place. Perhaps with a full grid of 26 cars, the issue would be different.
Old 4 May 2002, 02:08 (Ref:278068)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1st - 15
2nd - 12
3rd - 10
4th - 8
5th - 6
6th - 5
7th - 4
8th - 3
9th - 2
10th- 1
Old 4 May 2002, 02:18 (Ref:278076)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always been against the current system - but of late I've started to grow to like it more. It's tradition - and when a backmarker scores (Webber in Oz, HHF last week), it really means something, and stops drivers of 'settling for 10th' or whateer. If a driver is in 7th now, he's got something to fight for...
Old 4 May 2002, 06:20 (Ref:278186)   #7
Aussiefan

I think the current points system is fine. F1 is about rewarding the best, not teams who drive around the midfield or back of the grid. It's upto the teams to try be the best and get into the top six.

Old 4 May 2002, 08:22 (Ref:278217)   #8
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, go with the BTCC style system, like f1manoz said

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 4 May 2002, 11:16 (Ref:278296)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What I really hate is systems where there is no significant reward for getting a great result. In both CART and BTCC the guy finishing second gets 80% of the points of the winner- in otehr words, a driver winning four races and breaking down in the other has the same number of a points as a driver who comes second every time. Formula 1 is for the best, and while I'm theoretically all in favour of points for the top 10, there should still be a serious difference between positions.
Old 4 May 2002, 14:10 (Ref:278371)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes first palce does deserve a gap as it is now. That is a good idea. I dont agree that there are some teams that are just driving around in midfield. All the teams are trying their best. They all want to win. I feel that more drivers and teams should be rewarded for their efforts.
Old 4 May 2002, 15:27 (Ref:278412)   #11
Aussiefan

If the top ten does get points, that's almost half the field in today's races. It's not too uncommon for less than ten cars to finish a race.

Old 4 May 2002, 17:52 (Ref:278494)   #12
The Red BARon
Rookie

The Red BARon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
I agree with the title but not the scoring. I think it should extend to at least the top ten finishers. Right now the back half of the grid have nothing to race for. If a driver finishes 7th, he might as well be 22 in the points chase. The driver will be listed as 7th but without points its a shallow reward. I think the races will be even more interesting too. Now we just look foreward to the top six. They are the only ones that count. If we were scoring top ten finishing teams, those like BAR would acutally be doing better than some teams that have had two top ten finishes by luck. Scoring points because everyone else failed is good but not as good as scoring on pace.
No no NO!!! Never ceases to amaze me people still peddle out this tired old argument. Why don't you just award points to all 22 cars and drivers so they all have a nice fluffy bunny ride through F1 and the points system can then be completely devalued.

The title thread had a much better idea reducing the no. of points for a win.
Old 7 May 2002, 13:23 (Ref:279443)   #13
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the current system, If anything needs to be changed, its the way the championship money is distributed at the end of the year.

The australia v8 scoring system is stupid 400 points for the race weekend win and points for every finisher.

eg.. 400 points per race 12 races 4800 points up for grabs if you win every round. Now that is stupid
Old 7 May 2002, 13:37 (Ref:279449)   #14
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason the points for the win were increased from 9 - 10 was to reward the winner. I've always liked the fact that F1 only pays points to the top six.

It's a far cry from what they have in the NASCAR series where everybody gets points, and second place gets the same points as first if he leads more laps. The problem with the NASCAR system of giving everyone points is that damaged cars that should retire remain in the race.

There is nothing worse (or unsafe) than a beat-up hunk of rubbish of a race car sputtering around the apron of the track at half the speed of the field trying to collect 36th place points.

Leave F1 points alone.
Old 7 May 2002, 13:43 (Ref:279453)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with the top 10 scoring instead.

And I would add a 1 point system for the pole position, best lap and more leading laps...

Wow !!! TGF would problably reach the stars...
Old 7 May 2002, 13:44 (Ref:279454)   #16
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69
The australia v8 scoring system is stupid 400 points for the race weekend win and points for every finisher.

eg.. 400 points per race 12 races 4800 points up for grabs if you win every round. Now that is stupid
Looks like scores inflation
Old 7 May 2002, 13:50 (Ref:279456)   #17
racing_guru
Rookie

racing_guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the points system the way it is now which rewards the winners and not the losers. I fail to see what changing the points system would do for anyone as I suspect the prize money would also be altered; paying less money per point then it does now. Other aspect is that it would totally mess up the records books as the scoring system has been in place for 50 years. Even when they changed 1st place from 9 points to 10 has inflated the total points of someone like Schumacher vs. Prost.
Old 7 May 2002, 17:27 (Ref:279615)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there a prize for the points ???????
Old 8 May 2002, 12:32 (Ref:280254)   #19
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
I agree with the top 10 scoring instead.

And I would add a 1 point system for the pole position, best lap and more leading laps...

Wow !!! TGF would problably reach the stars...
Exactly right, but need to keep gap between 1st and 2nd to reward winning.

Old 8 May 2002, 13:23 (Ref:280302)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. 20
2. 15
3. 12
4. 10
5. 8
6. 6
7. 4
8. 3
9. 2
10. 1
Pole 1
FLap 1

(I don't agree with laps led. That's a CART thing!)

Keeps the gap between 1st and 2nd while points are increased, rewards the top 6 with good points but at least 10 can score.
Old 8 May 2002, 13:44 (Ref:280309)   #21
F1Babe
Rookie

F1Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a point for the fastest lap and for pole, but the rest of the points should stay the same

Old 8 May 2002, 14:23 (Ref:280326)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

F1babe, I love your signature...
Old 8 May 2002, 15:29 (Ref:280361)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
How about:
1st 10 pts
2nd 12 pts
3rd 6 pts
4th 4
5th 3
6th 2
7th 1

Think about it...
Old 8 May 2002, 18:14 (Ref:280482)   #24
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expanding the number of positions scoring points adds resolution which provides more insight into how the lower teams are actually performing on the track.

Imagine Team A finishes 7th & 8th in every race while Team B finishes 21st & 22nd. The current system does not distinguish between the teams. IOW, they both end the season with the same number of points. This is bad.

By scoring points down to the 8th, 10th, 15th, or even 22nd place finisher you provide a much clearer picture of how teams are performing on the track.
Old 8 May 2002, 18:17 (Ref:280483)   #25
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve_r
How about:
1st 10 pts
2nd 12 pts
3rd 6 pts
4th 4
5th 3