Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 4 Mar 2003, 19:34 (Ref:524736)   #1
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Espn

Oh dear. I dont think ive ever witnessed such poor coverage of any sporting event in my life. I got cable switched on especially for ESPN and its costing me about $80 a month. For this price i stupidly expected to be viewing the ENTIRE race. Instead i got to see parts of the race and a whole lot of ads. I was so frustrated that by the second hour i decided to time them. On average we were shown 3 mins of racing followed by 2.5 - 3 mins of ads, so effectively we only saw half the race. (except for the last 20 laps or so which they showed with no breaks). Its not even like it was 'a word from our sponsors', it was all upcoming events on ESPN! I couldnt believe it! It was so frustrating, id just be working out were everyone was again and then thered be more ads. Three minutes equals a fair few laps, IRL is such fast racing that heaps can happen in that time. I did check out one of the reruns and it was slightly better, the ads were more spaced and there were less i think. But i dont see why i should have to forego watching a race live just so i can see the majority of it. Surely i wasnt the only one close to throwing the tv of the balcony?!?
Old 4 Mar 2003, 20:50 (Ref:524826)   #2
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah jenna a few of my mates were saying the same thing, weren't impressed at all for something they are paying for. I checked out part of the replay and it looked patchy, I didn't watch the whole thing.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:39 (Ref:524884)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to what Cart fans had to deal with over the years .

A lot less people get it, but the Speed coverage Cart gets now is 1000times better than ESPN was....
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Mar 2003, 23:15 (Ref:525022)   #4
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least with F1 in Canada we can change between Speed and TSN and miss most of the commercials.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 03:06 (Ref:525197)   #5
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ESPN's coverage has historically been and remains pathetic. Who gives a rats arse about the upcoming mexican womens ping pong open or something similar
Old 5 Mar 2003, 03:14 (Ref:525200)   #6
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
ESPN's coverage has historically been and remains pathetic. Who gives a rats arse about the upcoming mexican womens ping pong open or something similar

And ads for live coverage of a PGA Senior Golf tournament from P1ssing Lakes, Carolina at 2am, I'll be setting my alarm.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 05:07 (Ref:525250)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like something I wouldnt want to get then

Hardly worth taping either if the reception is patchy... do ESPN replay these IRL events to death like they do the NASCAR and CART races? Maybe the coverage will improve
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Mar 2003, 06:04 (Ref:525277)   #8
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Yep you can catch a few replays during the week jammed in between the Guinness International Matchplay Darts from Surrey England and the IAAF Monster Truck Throwing Championship from Vlandersthorpe Sweden.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 08:15 (Ref:525341)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
LOL , and the commentators are much either , they take pit reports from another network and try not to get the pit reporter speaking or even seen in the shot.

it really is fairly pathetic coverage , but at least its coverage, I'd be rather annoyed if i got to see nothing at all.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 08:54 (Ref:525375)   #10
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah thats true, at least its available.
Like all commentators they make a few balls up.
"there's todays winner Scott Goodyear..."
Old 5 Mar 2003, 09:49 (Ref:525415)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see why ESPN can't just give us the ABC commentators and coverage, rather than just the pictures etc...ABC own ESPN anyway.

They got away from the race rather quickly as well, no race debrief or anything. AT least we got RPM2day and IndyRacing2day for abit of pre-race build up. SOmething needs to be done though.

And to think i sat up all night for two fairly processional Superbike races and a pretty good IRL race of which we missed half due to add breaks.

If i hear another add for 'ESPN's great footy debate' i'll explode
Old 5 Mar 2003, 13:44 (Ref:525623)   #12
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it funny to watch some of the overseas sports coverages refer to a new spring line up of comedy shows or some US sporting event that means Jack Schitt to anyone else in the known universe, and certainly isnt on our teev calendars...
Old 5 Mar 2003, 16:49 (Ref:525810)   #13
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The one that really got me was the 'pit pass' ad: "you cant stop congratulating us..." ha! i challenge them to find someone who would actually congratulate them on a job well done! i definately like a bit of post-race natter, some replays of crashes, interviews with 4th place getters etc. They finished the coverage before Scott Dixon was even out of the car!! The commentators were funny, they barely knew what was going on most of the time, and they kept getting cars mixed up, esp. Kanaan and Andretti. At least they only had to call half a race....
Old 5 Mar 2003, 20:39 (Ref:526000)   #14
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i like paul page..

and...im sure he was glad he didn't have to ask anyone
what port vs starboard is..
Old 6 Mar 2003, 00:01 (Ref:526157)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
botsquad in Australia we dont get Paul Page and Jack arute and the team , we get their pit interviews and thats it , the commentary is hashed over the top of their telecast with Jeremy Shaw and some other fella I cant remember now , it really is terrible , but again Im not there for the commentary , bring on the racing
Old 6 Mar 2003, 05:42 (Ref:526318)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Page only covered it when ESPN and ABC were broadcasting it... Speed had Scott Pruett, Bob Varsha and Tommy Kendall last year. They're not perfect, but they're a lot more knowledgable than Paul Rage and co. ever was and not nearly as boring as Jeremy Shaw and co.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 9 Mar 2003, 11:54 (Ref:529922)   #17
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
i could totally put up with bad commentary if they DID bring on the racing! i do agree its still better than not seeing them at all though.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 12:01 (Ref:529930)   #18
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
ooh in all the furore i totally forgot to say that tony kanaan is brilliant, he drove really well and all you guys are going to eat your hats when he comes out on top this season!!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 04:39 (Ref:539768)   #19
True Believer
Racer

Kanaan is a good driver, a pity his series is ignored on commercial TV
Old 19 Mar 2003, 09:49 (Ref:540999)   #20
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
actually, technically kanaan is an AWESOME driver
Old 19 Mar 2003, 15:03 (Ref:541223)   #21
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The coverage here in Sweden was pretty decent; digital feed and commercial free
Old 23 Mar 2003, 18:43 (Ref:545542)   #22
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
dont rub it in! second round starts in 45 mins, i was going to just watch the replay but i cant wait any longer, it might be totally frustrating but i still have to support my team!
Old 23 Mar 2003, 23:41 (Ref:545868)   #23
True Believer
Racer

You must be very happy Jenna
Old 24 Mar 2003, 00:50 (Ref:545894)   #24
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
haha you all should have seen me jumping around my loungeroom doing little tony kanaan cheers! it brings a little bit of sunshine to the depressing events of the past week. even better, the ESPN coverage has improved heaps, they only put ad breaks approx every 10 mins which is much more reasonable, they were shorter too. and because of all the yellows (10!) they put the breaks then and we only missed very little racing. i think the only people more excited then me were kanaan and andretti, kanaan looked like he was about to cry! what a cutie
Old 24 Mar 2003, 01:41 (Ref:545917)   #25
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
still Espn international commentators are really really terrible , they need replacing quick smart