Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:48 (Ref:576683)   #1
streak
Rookie

streak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting Started

Hey all,

I want to get started in racing (obviously as cheaply as possible) but don't really know which direction to go in.
I've read all the stuff about how to get started (Buy the pack, get a medical etc) but its the type of racing I'm undecided about.

I think its unlikely I'll be able to afford to do an entire championship, I'm not even concerned about being competetive, I just want to race for the fun.

I'm not interested in single seaters, in fact the most interesting I can find is 'Modified production saloon car championship'.

What I ideally want to be able to do is take my car along for a weekend when I feel like it and race. Is this possible without being part of a championship (I want to go beyond just track days etc)?

Any suggestions/advice welcome :-)

Old 22 Apr 2003, 18:40 (Ref:576816)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can avoid the cost of a tow car and trailer by racing something like Road Saloons.. but it's still going to cost.

Personal safety gear - c.£500
Licence and ARDS - well over £200
Racing Membership of club - £50+
Race Fees - £130+

Buying a prepared car is usually cheaper than preparing yourself. I would suggest a semi decent Road Saloon would cost at least £3k. Another drive to the circuit option would be HSCC 70's Roadsports.. (MG Midget or Spitfire?) and they have very sringent regs so you can probably buy and prepare a car for under £3k. Cheap road insurance too! And HSCC used to do a deal to novices where you got membership and four races very cheaply in your first year (£400ish).

Other cheap options include, all MG's (Metros cheapest, from £1k per car) - check MGCC and MGOC websites, Fiat Uno's and maybe alfas (although they seemed pretty competitive at Combe) or perhaps CSCC races - but I don't know much about these. Trailer and tow car needed for these..

What about doing a few sprints first (only need a road car, proban overalls and helmet)? That'll let you suss out whether you want to go further for minimal cost - although track time is very limited. But is really convincing me that I need more!

Any other options anyone?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 21:48 (Ref:577280)   #3
streak
Rookie

Funny you should mention that, I have a semi prepared 1965 triumph which I'd always planned to get sorted, but I'm not sure if its the way to go. It needs a fair bit of work and I'm not convinced its the best use of time/money.
I also have an alfa 33 16v which is on the eligible list for Modified production saloon cars, but that also needs a LOT of work :-(

I'm thinking I want my cake and eat it, is that unreasonable?

Cheers
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:38 (Ref:577444)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hmmm. try my book? its called 'How to get started in motorsport' and its by me. buy it from veloce or amazon now, or soon in the shops. Covers everything you need to know to get started.

Sorry blatant plug! but hey it saves me writing a long and informative answer!
Old 23 Apr 2003, 11:25 (Ref:577882)   #5
streak
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins

Sorry blatant plug! but hey it saves me writing a long and informative answer!
Ahh, maybe, but it costs me money

I'll have a look, thanks
Old 23 Apr 2003, 12:06 (Ref:577906)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
save you some in the long run...
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:25 (Ref:578026)   #7
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i wouldnt rule out single seaters, they are fantastic to drive and you'd need something like a Ferrari to match the performace.

There are some 'low' cost sportscars too which im sure will have much better performance than most saloons.

plenty of choice at www.750mc.co.uk
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:31 (Ref:578029)   #8
18000rpm
Rookie

18000rpm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you considered karting. It is much cheaper and despite the appearance the small karts they are very fast. If you don't want your own try club 100 (club100.co.uk), these 2 strokers are far superior to the indoor type karts and the prices are very good when your consider the amount of track time that you get compared to circuit racing.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:48 (Ref:578039)   #9
jpc
Rookie

jpc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would agree with 18000rpm about club100. I'm doing one of their endurance series this year for the first time and it is great fun and not too expensive. Proper TKM karts as well so a lot quicker than the standard stuff you can hire!
Old 23 Apr 2003, 18:56 (Ref:578421)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I've tested a club 100 kart - huge cheap fun, will race one at some point in the near future. However its got nothing on cars competing iin cars is more expensive but more rewarding.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:42 (Ref:578495)   #11
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I race in the LW sprints this year and is a great way to learn how to drive fast, learn race craft etc, etc.

btw sam, when are you coming out to play in Club 100???
Old 23 Apr 2003, 20:40 (Ref:578570)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
not sure yet, I hope a buckmore race, It'll be a one off for fun and to promote the youth into motorsport initiative but dunno you doing all the races? would be good to dice with you again old chap!