Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Aug 2003, 07:25 (Ref:679268)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
European Champion To Partner Radisich In Endurance Events

Team Betta Electrical
V8 Supercars

EUROPEAN CHAMPION TO PARTNER RADISICH IN ENDURANCE EVENTS

Briggs Motorsport announced today, they have secured Rickard Rydell to partner Paul Radisich in the Team Betta Electrical BA Falcon car 65 for this year’s endurance events.

Rickard is no stranger to the Australian circuits, having raced a Volvo in the two litre Tourers Series at Bathurst in 1997, setting a qualifying record time for the Mountain circuit.

Rickard Rydell lives north of Stockholm with his wife Ulrika and two young children, helping out with family flower business when he’s not racing.

Rydell will be travelling to Australia later this month for an extensive practice session at Queensland Raceway to familiarise himself both with the car and the team.

“I can’t wait to get down there said Rydell, I watch the V8 Supercars regularly on TV and there is no doubt about it, it is a fantastic series” - he said.

“I will be giving it my best shot, it’s very close racing and that certainly suits my style of driving”, said the ex BTTC Champion.

Rydel is currently campaigning a Volvo S40 in the European Touring Car Championship and has a string of achievements in the British Touring Car Championship from 1994 through until 2000.

As with most race drivers, his career commenced in Karts, progressing on to F3 for a period of six years until joining with Volvo in the BTCC in 1994.

Team owner John Briggs, said he is pleased to be able to secure Rydell for the endurance events.
“His acceptance of the drive will certainly give us our best chance at these long distance races, Rydell certainly has the credentials required for endurance races and together with Paul Radisich, I think it will be a formidable combination”.

“Betta Electrical Car 66 will be driven by Dean Canto and Mathew White for the endurance events, with White showing considerable form in the Konica Series this year, I think with that combination of drivers that car should also realise its true potential as well this year, Canto experienced bad luck in the Bathurst 1000 last year, through no fault of his own, however I think this year will give both he and White the opportunity to show their full potential”, said Briggs.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 07:26 (Ref:679269)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Matthew White is a fair way taller than Dean Canto.. Bargs' dicky seat here we come.....

So is a seat at Briggs better than an FPR one??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Aug 2003, 08:05 (Ref:679312)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did FPR offer him one? Although it raises a good point, with his connections to Prodrive, it's suprising he'll drive an opposing car, although he is looking elsewhere for next year.

Will he make the race this year? Last time he was scheduled to race a V8 in the enduro's (for HRT in 1994), his wife had a baby just prior to Sandown, so he didn't compete there, his place taken for that race by Craig Lowdnes. After that, Rydell was dropped and Lowdnes kept the seat for Bathurst. Maybe Lowdnes should be thanking the Rydell's for where he is today.

On the Briggs press release, when has Rickard Rydell ever been European Champion?
Old 4 Aug 2003, 08:09 (Ref:679318)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A play on words perhaps?? Rydell as BTCC champion. GB is in Europe despite the wishes of Mr Blair. So a stretch of the language, Rydell is a European Champion
Old 4 Aug 2003, 22:23 (Ref:679995)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Briggs does sell cars doesn't he.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 07:42 (Ref:680222)   #6
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds good to me, he used to be right on the money in the BTCC when driving for Volvo.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:26 (Ref:680340)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GREAT news. Generally the imports don't fare as well as the home-grown hereos, but with Cleland, Rydell, Minassian and Magnussen racing, it'll certainly add some internation interest into the mix.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 11:46 (Ref:680403)   #8
Hunka
Rookie

Hunka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its good to see Rydell back downunder, however as mentioned most of the internationals seem to struggle. This is my only real concern. There is no doubt that Rydell has proved very capable in the past and he has had expirience at the mountain. It will be good to see if he has what it takes to muscle our V8's around a good pace all day. While on the subject of co-drivers, who is this Kerry Wade driving for Orrcon Racing?
Old 6 Aug 2003, 01:15 (Ref:680911)   #9
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rydell will be good on the Mount. Can't wait to see Cleland v Rydell. Old sparring partners from way back. Although I don't think BJR or Briggs will be happy with them bashing panels across the top of the mountain ...
Old 6 Aug 2003, 02:58 (Ref:680931)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Priaulx will be around as well, so its old home week for the past BTCC-ers....
Old 6 Aug 2003, 04:38 (Ref:680958)   #11
noskill
Rookie

noskill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although its great to see some internationals in the field, aren't there enough talented Australians around that need a break.... (apart from myself )
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:01 (Ref:681000)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

HRT stated, openly, last year that they do NOT like using Australians unless they can get them tied up in a contract - they didn't/don;t want their 'secrets' being given to a temp driver who may, someday, work for an opposition team.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:24 (Ref:681013)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

Goodpoint you've raised there Racetime.
Could be a lesson here for Stone Bros......sign Jim Richards up for next year THIS season. Just in case......
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:38 (Ref:681025)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RRR
Rydell will be good on the Mount. Can't wait to see Cleland v Rydell.
Further to that, it's a pity Alain Menu isn't coming down this year, Cleland and him got on like a house on fire....not.

Can't say i agree noskill. If we were talking about a whole season, i would probably agree with you, but the internationals only add to the Bathurst race, i think it's great there is six racing here this year...(anymore on the horizon?)
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:45 (Ref:681030)   #15
Alan Jones
Veteran

What about Johnny Herbert and Max at DJR ? I'd love to see that.

There'd be no need to change the seat at the pitstops although as an afterthought, a plastic seat cover and water proofing the inside of the car might be wise

Last edited by Alan Jones; 6 Aug 2003 at 07:46.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:46 (Ref:681032)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
SBR have had Mr Noske in their employ for some months already, so arent doing too badly on that score

And would they hire JR, I mean he is older than Ross and Jim Stone, they may as well get in and have a drive
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:48 (Ref:681034)   #17
Alan Jones
Veteran

Ouch!
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:54 (Ref:681036)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

But at least Jim can drive and drive fast and reliably...which is more than some of the 'youngsters' can do
Old 6 Aug 2003, 10:13 (Ref:681122)   #19
Hunka
Rookie

Hunka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know Jim will bring the car back to the pits the same way it left, and probably in the same race position. He is that good.