Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Apr 2004, 13:05 (Ref:948989)   #1
Dan_Lowe
Rookie

Dan_Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2004 rear wing regs

Can someone explain these new rear wing regs for 2004 to me? I'm confused :confused:

I've heard something about thinner wings but the Audi's, Pesca's, etc. seam to have the same as last year to me... Also the end plates on the C65's look a bit odd.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 13:11 (Ref:948998)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Veloqx wings are indeed narrower - probably the others have been adjusted now as well (photographic evidence available on dsc and other places from the LMES test).

There was some confusion with the RfH Domes showing up in 2003-spec, but apparently the new wings are on their way.

The rules for 2003 allowed wings up to 200cm wide, 40cm deep. The rules for 2004-spec LMP1 cars allow "body width" wings, 30cm deep. (Body width is to a max of 200cm.) The grandfathered rules for LMP900s and 675s for 2004 allow a 180cm wing, 40cm deep.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Apr 2004, 15:10 (Ref:949120)   #3
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The others (bar the dome i believe) all ran with the 180cm width wings at the ricard test too.
The car that really displays the width difference are the Audis and dallara's because they have the box sections on the end of the enplates to make up the lost 10cm between the deep endplates and the wing. there is a good picture of this over at DSC, with the Dallara's bodywork removed.

the C65 wings look a little odd because of the new rear wing regulations. MulsanneMikes site (http://www.mulsannescorner.com) has a useful little guide on it to show the changes.

Hope it helps
Ed

Last edited by paul-collins; 23 Apr 2004 at 20:40.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 20:30 (Ref:949420)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: 2004 rear wing regs

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Lowe
Can someone explain these new rear wing regs for 2004 to me? I'm confused :confused:

I've heard something about thinner wings but the Audi's, Pesca's, etc. seam to have the same as last year to me... Also the end plates on the C65's look a bit odd.

Frommthe pics I saw of the Audi's wing on the thread titled "New Audi Wing", they are VERY different....The have an apparatus tha tlooks like a hollow box sitting beterrn the endplate don the shorter wing tiself and the endplae extensions that go down to the winglets that extend off of their rear quarter panels/fenders....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Apr 2004, 20:40 (Ref:949426)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've tried to find pictures, but can't, of similar "wing extensions" that I seem to recall having sprouted off the wings of DTM cars (was it last year or the previous?). Surely it will be difficult to police those boxes so that they are aerodynamically neutral. They seem to me to be effectively dive planes with a shallow pitch.

What direction will the wing twist under load? If the mounting points are toward the rear of the wing, will the wing tip downward, allowing the boxes to add to the downforce?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Apr 2004, 20:47 (Ref:949436)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We were asking that question on that "New Audi Wing" thread....and Mulsanne Mike realy didn't comment on it extensively, if I rmember correctly....

You may want to go to that thread and check out what has been posted there....

a lot of intersting ideas were shared there....

Old 23 Apr 2004, 20:48 (Ref:949438)   #7
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
yeah they look very similar to the Opel DTM rear wings from last year, although there application is different in the 2 examples (Opel to make extra downforce, Audi's just to bridge the gap between endplate and wing, as if it was a wing section, it would be illegal)

I don't believe the boxes are attached to the wing in any way, there is a very good pic on DSC that shows how it works on the dallara, which looks very similar to the Audi in execution. There for as they are remote from the wing they won't twist, hence being able to keep a neutral profile.

Last edited by Try Hard; 23 Apr 2004 at 20:49.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 20:49 (Ref:949440)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
I found one.

http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/carr...cheider-1g.jpg

-Bill James
Old 23 Apr 2004, 21:00 (Ref:949449)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Ed, I'm not sure if you can actually tell that those boxes aren't on the wing - in fact, I think that they're not attached to the extensions, instead.

edit: That's the way Mike sees it, too.
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir8-01-6.html

Last edited by paul-collins; 23 Apr 2004 at 21:01.

-Bill James
Old 23 Apr 2004, 22:50 (Ref:949567)   #10
Dan_Lowe
Rookie

Dan_Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers for that guys, i can make sence of it all now.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 01:33 (Ref:949684)   #11
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
I added a few more comments on the Audi-wing interpretation here (bottom of the page):

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html

Note also that the Dallara is using the same interpretation (photos to follow soon on the site).

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 24 Apr 2004 at 01:33.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 02:02 (Ref:949691)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks for the further interpretation, Mike...

The front revision to balance the rear wing change is an interesting note...

and maybe Audi DOES have a little drag to give away without hurting their overall package compared to the competition...

Old 24 Apr 2004, 02:14 (Ref:949695)   #13
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Here are the relavent pages with corresponding updates:

Audi R8:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir8-01-6.html

Dallara:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/dallaralmp06.html
Old 24 Apr 2004, 03:47 (Ref:949746)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Here is the Dallara rearwing...

-
Old 24 Apr 2004, 03:48 (Ref:949747)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
And Lister uses it too...

-
Old 25 Apr 2004, 14:18 (Ref:951035)   #16
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
More interestingly on the Lister are the new deep endplates (different than last year's) they've attached to their carbon extensions.
Attached Thumbnails
prev16.jpg  

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 25 Apr 2004 at 14:21.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 14:20 (Ref:951037)   #17
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Additional image:
Attached Thumbnails
prev22.jpg  
Old 25 Apr 2004, 21:59 (Ref:951500)   #18
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Excellent images mike, and thanks for the additional interpritation.

I only noticed the extension were atteched to the endplates on the dallara . There was an image ove on DSC of just the rear bodywork cover, and it clearly showed the extensions attached to the endplates, as you could also see the rear wing attached to the car in the background. However i will agree the on the audi they look to be attached to the wing.

Interesting to note lister using the same idea too.

Ed
Old 25 Apr 2004, 22:47 (Ref:951555)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm amazed at the lap times the Audis have put up at the Le Mans test day with the smaller rear wings. Is it possible that they are running quicker trap speeds (due to less downforce and drag from the smaller rear wing), but not losing that much cornering ability?
Old 25 Apr 2004, 23:06 (Ref:951567)   #20
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of rear wing's anyone else notice how small the Pagani's wing has to be with the new rules. I think its based on the width of the roof, smaller roof= smaller wing... Might not hurt the Zonda/MC12 at LeMans but at twisty tracks in the LMES/ALMS they might be at a disadvantage.

http://www.lemans.org/univers_sport/...es/ppage4.html

Where as in the FIA GT they run full 2m wings...

Last edited by Patrick B; 25 Apr 2004 at 23:09.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 05:42 (Ref:951741)   #21
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
A small rearwing indeed...

-
Old 26 Apr 2004, 08:01 (Ref:951887)   #22
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
a few closer look on these boxes

on the Audi UK :
Attached Thumbnails
audi1.jpg  
Old 26 Apr 2004, 08:03 (Ref:951889)   #23
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
on the GOH
Attached Thumbnails
audi2.jpg  
Old 26 Apr 2004, 08:04 (Ref:951893)   #24
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
on the Dallara
Attached Thumbnails
dallara1.jpg  
Old 26 Apr 2004, 08:06 (Ref:951894)   #25
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
again
Attached Thumbnails
dallara2.jpg