Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Jul 2004, 12:53 (Ref:1030222)   #1
Woody75
Racer

Woody75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it better now or in 1996

Over the last few months i have just being thinking how big the series has got since 1996 when i first went to a ATCC round at Barbagallo at the age of 12.

On that day at Barbagallo me and the family had plenty of room to move around the track and the meeting was only reasonably attended

Since that day a man named Tony Cochrane came along and made the series into what it is today with multiple world class events.

I see lots of letters in AA recently about people whinging about where the series is headed and so forth

So the question is to the touring car purists, are u more happier now or in 1996???

Last edited by Woody75; 8 Jul 2004 at 12:58.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1030244)   #2
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1985 I was trying to get a deal together to drive a touring car.

In 1995 I was racing in the support races for the touring cars.

In 2004 I don't watch many touring car races and I don't support any teams or drivers.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1030274)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1995 it was Motorsport. In 2004 it's Sports Entertainment.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1030654)   #4
Trevor P
Racer

Trevor P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. Larry is still in it.

Last edited by Trevor P; 8 Jul 2004 at 20:47.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 21:47 (Ref:1030705)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing's ever as good as people think it used to be...
Old 9 Jul 2004, 00:12 (Ref:1030821)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1996 categories actually got along with eachother, they weren't trying to put eachother out of business.......
Old 9 Jul 2004, 00:36 (Ref:1030834)   #7
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought TOCA was trying to do the same thing that racer69 refers to, back in 1996, to TEGA. The depth of competition has considerably increased since 1996. Who would have thought we would have seen the Stone Brothers win the championship in 2003. After all, at that stage, DJR and GSR had an established duopoly among the Ford teams.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 03:06 (Ref:1030905)   #8
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's better now.
Prior to '96 it was mostly owner-drivers, now most are hired, and mostly young, drivers. It's more professional, better facilities, consistently bigger fields, teams are better matched, more revenue coming in to support the teams, and more importantly more non-auto based revenue (ie, Bigpond, Playstation, Orrcon, Kmart, Fujitsu, CAT, Betta Electrical, etc)
And yes, I know Betta were in it back then, but not as big an investment.

But we now have Cochrane.

Still, it's never perfect
Old 9 Jul 2004, 03:24 (Ref:1030909)   #9
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well as a lowndes fan :-)
Old 9 Jul 2004, 07:27 (Ref:1031012)   #10
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that things have changed for the better, to make the sport successful than you need bums on seats. Changing the formula to create a successful sport is great, and really they have only re-invented the old rivalry that has existed since the inception of touring car racing in Australia.

Anyway when and if it all goes pear shaped at least I will be able to do what my grand father does "I remember when racing was racing....."
Old 9 Jul 2004, 09:58 (Ref:1031100)   #11
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you think back even further- how about 1993 or 1986? It is more for the sports fans and less for the "purists" these days but those of us who can remember back then (or earlier) can still make our own fun out of it. I don't recall such as the VB Challenge and the Donut King burnout/drifting routines as part of the show back then, but hey, I was "entertained" nonetheless.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 9 Jul 2004, 11:39 (Ref:1031197)   #12
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the highligts for me in the early years of the V8 Supercars was the Privateer dash for cash, those boys really turned it on!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 11:46 (Ref:1031207)   #13
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mattracer, At the old Surfers track there used to be plenty of women in the crowd to keep me occupied between races. I wouldn't have seen anything else anyway.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 12:03 (Ref:1031218)   #14
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for me it was a sad day when the BMW M3 were no longer allowed to run....along with the other Group A cars...I dont go to the taxis as much as I once did prefer Procar now....I like to see different makes.

All in all I will still go to Winton or PI if it was on.

Sandown is not far from home...remember the perkins Longhurst battle in the wet some years ago that was great..

Also remember the hang ten 500 on the old Sandown track with the Gemini country dealer team and VW golf heck even triumph dolimites
Old 9 Jul 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1031249)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem is that in the olden days it was enjoyable, you could meander through the pits at the local race track and talk to a driver/team owner.

But costs have increased and in the competitive market that is sports entertainment so has the whole series.

In fact the series is defined by the all mighty dollar - so that I can watch big dollar drivers being paid their worth in big dollar cars for big dollar sponsors on free to air TV. That sounds OK for me, but I miss personal experience.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1031316)   #16
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1996 the series had just received the biggest shot in the arm in years when the man who turned 1994 Bathurst on its head swept all before him in his debut year, setting up the Brock like following the young Craig Lowndes would acquire.

The following year saw record crowds at most of the established circuits which the newly formed AVESCO crowed long and hard about, although it was the Brock retirement tour which brought the numbers out.

Prior to 1996 it had been a continuation of the Group A days, with Johnsons, Gibsons, Setons as the premier teams with HRT waving the Hard Luck banner they always seemd to have but kept acquiring wins anyway.

The series changed forever in 1996/97, but a lot of those changes were incidental to the arrival of AVESCO. Lowndes heralded the transition to young paid drivers and Brock's retirement signaled the end of the owner driver.

The series had just gone to three races per meeting as had their first (non-championship) visit to New Zealand, which despite being one of AVESCO's earliest desires, would take years to return. They had begun to experiment with the Gold Coast Indy, adding street circuits to the program.

So AVESCOs earliest memorable moments that were purely theirs were the stoushes with TOCA, Bathurst City Council and the ARDC, and the beginnings of establishing financial freedom for the category and its teams.

Apart from Lowndes, the hot newcomers included Greg Murphy, Russell Ingall and Paul Romano, Steven Richards, John Faulkner and Max Dumesny with Steven Johnson and Steven Ellery showing promise on occasions when given opportunity, while Mark Larkham, Cameron McConville, and Mark Poole were struggling to establish themselves after dazzling open wheel carreers while Brad Jones, Paul Morris, Jim Richards and Cameron McLean were in the 'other' camp and Bathurst was taking a step back from the brink after Bathurst '95 featured a dismally small entry.

Last edited by Falcadore; 9 Jul 2004 at 13:56.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1031712)   #17
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its no longer sport . Its dumbed down entertainment for the dumbed down masses .
Old 10 Jul 2004, 03:50 (Ref:1031908)   #18
Woody75
Racer

Woody75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit in 1996 like a few other people have said it was all about the racing, but all the new teams and drivers have something for us fans to follow closely when they aint racing

In the owner/driver days there wasnt much news on driver pairings and the silly season never existed
Old 10 Jul 2004, 04:15 (Ref:1031919)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
give me modern racing over 96 any day

much more enjoyment at racing today, more tv, more merchandise and better more professional racing
Old 10 Jul 2004, 04:55 (Ref:1031933)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's better today no doubt
Old 10 Jul 2004, 05:27 (Ref:1031944)   #21
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The proof in the pudding can be shown when you compare todays calendar to 1996. The circus now goes to every state in Australia, plus in New Zealand.

Also another important note is the quality and depth of the competition is much better....

Take this 1996 Barbagallo entry list for example, compared to the recent 2004 event.

1996:
BOWE
SKAIFE
GARDNER
BROCK
INGALL
LARKHAM
PERKINS
LOWNDES
D JOHNSON
SETON
JONES
LONGHURST
ELLERY
S RICHARDS
ROMANO
SLAKO
G JOHNSON
CRICK
WALKER
GIORGI
WALDOCK
McLEOD

2004:
AMBROSE
SKAIFE
J RICHARDS
SETON
LOWNDES
LONGHURST
DUMBRELL
INGALL
BARGWANNA
S RICHARDS
BOWE
R KELLY
WEEL
JOHNSON
LUFF
WINTERBOTTOM
JONES
T KELLY
BESNARD
MORRIS
ELLERY
McCONVILLE
TANDER
WILLS
BREDE
NOSKE
BRIGHT
MURPHY
TRATT
RADISICH
BAIRD
WILSON

Add this to the crowd attendances, more exciting events, massive sponsorship, and the fact we also have an equally colourful division 2 category filling out 30 odd grid spaces, and you can see the huge difference from Pre-AVESCO to today.

Today the industry is alot healthier...
Old 10 Jul 2004, 05:43 (Ref:1031946)   #22
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course, back in '96, Timu was in an HRT jumpsuit, waiting for his next nappy change, and speaking his first word...."Skaifey"
Old 10 Jul 2004, 06:28 (Ref:1031956)   #23
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Skaifey wasn't a HRT driver in '96 though. Skaife and HRT was still 18 months away as the series kicked off at the Creek in 96.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 06:35 (Ref:1031958)   #24
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't you got to love those 'ken stastical fanatics!

Ok ok ok, Timu was in a Sonic The Hedgehog jumpsuit so bite me

Last edited by Just Do It!; 10 Jul 2004 at 06:39.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 06:47 (Ref:1031963)   #25
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Timu
The proof in the pudding can be shown when you compare todays calendar to 1996. The circus now goes to every state in Australia, plus in New Zealand.

Also another important note is the quality and depth of the competition is much better....

Take this 1996 Barbagallo entry list for example, compared to the recent 2004 event.

1996:
BOWE
SKAIFE
GARDNER
BROCK
INGALL
LARKHAM
PERKINS
LOWNDES
D JOHNSON
SETON
JONES
LONGHURST
ELLERY
S RICHARDS
ROMANO
SLAKO
G JOHNSON
CRICK
WALKER
GIORGI
WALDOCK
McLEOD

2004:
AMBROSE
SKAIFE
J RICHARDS
SETON
LOWNDES
LONGHURST
DUMBRELL
INGALL
BARGWANNA
S RICHARDS
BOWE
R KELLY
WEEL
JOHNSON
LUFF
WINTERBOTTOM
JONES
T KELLY
BESNARD
MORRIS
ELLERY
McCONVILLE
TANDER
WILLS
BREDE
NOSKE
BRIGHT
MURPHY
TRATT
RADISICH
BAIRD
WILSON

Add this to the crowd attendances, more exciting events, massive sponsorship, and the fact we also have an equally colourful division 2 category filling out 30 odd grid spaces, and you can see the huge difference from Pre-AVESCO to today.

Today the industry is alot healthier...
Crowd attendance peaked in 1997 then dropped for several seasons, overtaking the '97 figures at established venues only two or three years ago.

Although it has been consistently proven that crowd attendance figures are incredibly dodgy and should be taken not with a grain, but a baulk carrier of salt. A lot of big assumptions are made in calculating attendances, and the figures are not auditted. The number of street circuits added in more recent times has blown out attendances, but those events crowd figures are even dodgier than permanent circuits.

More exciting events? well we can discuss the merits of replacing racing categories with motorcycle stunt shows and the VB Challenge in another thread, but I think my thoughts are well and truly on record over this.

As for calendar....

1996 - 16 events in 6 states + 2 overseas
Eastern Creek, NSW
Sandown, Vic
Mount Panorama, NSW
Albert Park, Vic
Symmons Plains, Tas
Surfers Paradise, Qld
Phillip ISland, Vic
Calder Park, Vic
Lakeside, Qld
Barbagallo, WA
Mallala, SA
Oran Park, NSW
Sandown, Vic
Mount Panorama, NSW
Pukekohe, NZ
Wellington, NZ

2004 - 14 events in 7 states with 1 overseas
Albert Park, Vic
Adelaide, SA
Eastern Creek, NSW
Pukekohe, NZ
Hidden Valley, NT
Barbgallo, WA
Queensland Raceway, Qld
Winton, Vic
Oran Park, NSW
Sandown, Vic
Mount Panorama, NSW
Surfers Paradise, Qld
Symmons Plains, Tas
Eastern Creek, NSW

Well since 1996, the calendar has been shortened by two events, one of them the second New Zealand event, one of Sandowns races has gone, but Eastern Creek now has a second. Winton has replaced Calder, Adelaide replaced Mallala, Queensland Raceway replaced Lakeside, Mount Panorama has lost its second, Hidden Valley has arrived at Phillip Island is gone.

Is it really that different?