Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1031435)   #1
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why does anthony davidson only set faster times in the first free practise?

isnt it odd? on every first free practise, Anthony Davidson is always way up there. He's always ahead of jenson and sato. Yet by the second practise he's behind jenson and sato.

is it just me or does anyone else smell a fish?
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:24 (Ref:1031438)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
im sure he is running more revs and less fuel than Jenson and Sato...

Jenson and Sat have to save their engines for the entire weekend,Ant does not have to..
also the race drivers have to practice running heavier loads for the early part of their stints
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1031441)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fish? What do you mean? What possible conspiracy theory could this be?

For what I remember hearing on this very discussion forum. Anthony does tyre testing comparisons in the first session and then long durability runs in the second session.

He is normally still up there in the second session.

In addition he does a lot of laps than regular drivers. However by the second session the rest have had decent running and that advantage is negated a little.

However I'm sure we'll found out what was happening...
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:31 (Ref:1031447)   #4
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The theory is:

Anthony Davidson is always hinting that he runs the same fuel and specificationa as jenson and sato. if thats the case his times would be more consistant.

and no he isnt normally up there in the second session.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1031448)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it has anything to do with fuel load really. How would that aid the team in data acquisition? I would think that it would only help the team to have him on a similar fuel load. And Adam is right, he concentrates on longer runs in the afternoon. But he gets more tires and does run a bit higher on the revs. Don't underestimate him though, he's darn quick.

Last edited by jhansen; 9 Jul 2004 at 15:34.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1031449)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This thread smells like a beat-up to me.

According to the Thursday press conference, Ant runs the same fuel, but can run more revs, more laps, and fresh rubber.

Even after you adjust that down, he is setting a serious pace.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1031453)   #7
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A way of Selling a potential big fish maybe?...

I might be wrong...
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1031454)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank_White
and no he isnt normally up there in the second session.
Friday Prac2.
USA: 2nd
France: 3rd.

Only two GP, granted, but I got bored. He still seems comparable to Sato and Button in practice session 2 for most GP.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1031457)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I don't understand what the thread starter is on about. Ant is usually on pace with Taku and Jensen in the Friday Frees as well as private testing, so please check your conspiracy baggage at the door...

Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1031459)   #10
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Davidson plays a lot with Playstation and he has an advantage the first session. In the second one, the rest catch up and his advantage fades.

(lol, I hope nobody takes this seriously)
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1031465)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd imagine that Ant would do virtually no qualifying set-up laps, whereas JB and TS would start to give that some attention as the practice sessions wear on. Ant would do a stint on fresh tyres, but taking those tyres through a simulated race stint (or part stint), whereas at some point the race drivers themselves would go out on a fresh set of the chosen tyres and focus on one or two hot laps to see where they are.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1031496)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ant is obviously quite the talent. Seems to be a very quick boy.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 17:15 (Ref:1031554)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ant is working on a programme to benefit the team - he's not out there merely to make himself look good.

I wouldn't read too much into anything.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1031654)   #14
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: why does anthony davidson only set faster times in the first free practise?

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank_White
isnt it odd? on every first free practise, Anthony Davidson is always way up there. He's always ahead of jenson and sato. Yet by the second practise he's behind jenson and sato.

is it just me or does anyone else smell a fish?

DUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very simple really, if you understand F1.

Anthony does all the things that the RACE drivers are not allowed to do ie, run at full revs, push the car etc. (in case they break their car/engine/gearbox etc) !!!!!

He is just testing and (hopefully) giving some feed-back to the team about tyres etc.

it's not rocket science!!!!
Old 10 Jul 2004, 00:32 (Ref:1031822)   #15
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And I thought you lot knew all about F1!...It's simple in the first session the track is green...hes quick straight away so he features high in the first session. In the pm session he does the long stint tyre evaluations to decide which tyres are best for the race.

It invariable means he has only the first flying lap to set a fast time, if he can (and usually does) sometimes he goes out again on old tyres so a hot lap isn't possible.

Today he had a technical failure early in the second session, so had to park it on the circuit and couldn't improve his time, this meant the race drivers had to do more laps.

I had to chuckle at the Silverstone TV commentator who talked as if every car going round could 'pop in a fast lap' whenever they felt like it, or were up to it like they were in Formula Fords going around and around...Hahaha...Even ex BAR tester Darren Manning got it all wrong suggesting the 3rd drivers do the qualifying set ups, and the race drivers did the race set ups! Hahaha...stick to IRL Darren! Hahaha

As for all this..."having more revs"...it's complete rubbish!... He runs the same spec as the race cars! The whole purpose of running a third car is to gain data for the race cars...there's no point in doing anything other!

Last edited by Rennen; 10 Jul 2004 at 00:35.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 01:07 (Ref:1031835)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
You better set Ant straight then mate, because thats exactly what he said in the Thursday press conference!

I thought you knew about F1?
Old 10 Jul 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1032458)   #17
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well if think 200 revs on occassions makes any difference...then you must know more than all of us put together mate!

Last edited by Rennen; 10 Jul 2004 at 15:01.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1032504)   #18
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't claim to know what goes on inside BAR but if anyone here does know then it's Rennen... so I suggest you listen to what he has to say

On another note, slightly off topic but hey ... Rennen hon how are you and yours? It would be great to see you lot at one of our meetings again - you and the entire family are sorely missed
Old 13 Jul 2004, 11:46 (Ref:1035204)   #19
AlesiUk
Rookie

AlesiUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It never ceases to amaze me that so many people want to credit ants speed to hacing much higher revs,different gearing etc. BAR use Ant to help the race drivers with tyres and set up,how incredibly stupid would need to be to base the tyre choice on a car which was doing say 10mph more at the end of each straight and therefor changing the characteristics of the handling in the corner completely.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1035222)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Before Rennen added some much need common sense and accuracy, I was going to suggest Ant was really quick out of the box (hours on the PS2 help!), but then tended to slow down a bit when he started thinking about what he was doing...!

Old 13 Jul 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1035264)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have a look at this.

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_ge...al_094647.html
Old 13 Jul 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1035355)   #22
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ant appears to be as honest a driver as you are likely to find, and is breathtakingly quick - just look at his ries through the kart scene, and his performances with Sato in F3, then you'll start to realise this guy has been an exceptional talent-in-the-waiting for many years.

I expect to see him on the grid in '05, perhaps at Sauber or Jaguar. Sauber seem to be gathering momentum, and through giving Massa a good hiding (if Fisi heads to Williams) he'd impress a certain few people down at Maranello...

He's a genuinely quick driver, how quick/consistent in direct correlation, in race conditions, with the race drivers cannot be judged until he is out there competing in a seasons racing. Until then, it's all speculation on what revs/tyres etc he's running. AD is constantly up there, rarely puts a foot wrong, is young and the experience he will have gained at BAR will stand him in good stead for the next step of his career.

Good bloke, great talent, lets not knock the guy - afterall it would be nice to have an extra, truly competitive Brit on the grid next season...
Old 13 Jul 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1035377)   #23
AlesiUk
Rookie

AlesiUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Have a look at this.

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_ge...al_094647.html

Ant pretty much confirmed the same during an interview for silverstone tv on friday. said something like "its a shame to be leaving BAR"
Old 25 Jul 2004, 00:06 (Ref:1046079)   #24
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davidson lightweight in friday sessions?

dont tell me that he is quicker with a heavier car and its on merit! surely he must be running light during friday practice?
Old 25 Jul 2004, 03:17 (Ref:1046190)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
This has been discussed elswhere (and no he's not).