Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2004, 11:26 (Ref:1116749)   #1
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nordschleife - what if?

I've just been watching a video of a Ruf Porsche test driver at the Nurburgring and it got me thinking.

I know it's not going to happen - too dangerous etc - but what if they were to hold a current F1 race there now.

Which cars would it suit? What drivers would do well - (I presume they'd all have to get the simulators out to start learning it). I imagine it'd good for overtaking. Care to predict the outcome?

Imagining further - how about if it was half wet and half dry. Someone getting a puncture could face a very long trip back to the pits.

Makes for a good daydream.

Here's the link to the movie too...

RUF Porsche lap
Old 6 Oct 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1116756)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In Autosport a few months back (the issue before Le Mans I think). Anthony Davidson did a virtual lap around the Old Nurburgring. He then talked about what time he thought he could do in the current BAR. I'll did it out later.

I remember it being an edition near Le Mans because we had the edition when we popped in to Nurburgring on the way back from Le Mans (its on the way ). I can confirm that it isn't suitable for current F1. Although it would be amazing.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1116770)   #3
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
t'would be fantastic, but as Adam declared, not suitable for today's F1 cars...nothing a little widening and resurfacing wouldn't fix though

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 6 Oct 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1116796)   #4
acf8181
Racer

acf8181 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it doesn't need wideing...theres very few narrow places now, most is as wide as silverstone. if they can put up with the bumps of monaco then the nordschleife is certainly no worse. problem is the lack of run off (try none) and the crest could cause probs (you can't get rid of those though or it wouldn't be the same).

it would be possible to make it upto f1 standard, but would cost a serious amount of cash, and would require a lot of trees to be cut down.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1116800)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My God, can you imagine what Tilke would do to the Carousel?

I think the Nordschleife is better off as it is - why taint the glorious history of motorsport with today's F1?

Thinking about it, a modern day WRC car in tarmac spec would be more suited to the Nordschleife than an F1 car...
Old 6 Oct 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1116843)   #6
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
webbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive just watched the clip. Opersite lock at well over 100 mph in places.

Spare a thought for those motorcyclists, tencing up incase they get clouted from behind by a mad man sideways in a bright yellow Porka.

Love to have ago round there though.....mind you i'd be the one to crash as i would forget what corner is next !
Old 6 Oct 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1116868)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon

I think the Nordschleife is better off as it is - why taint the glorious history of motorsport with today's F1?

Oh my God, I have never agreed with anyone more...
Old 6 Oct 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1116871)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by webbo
Ive just watched the clip. Opersite lock at well over 100 mph in places.

Spare a thought for those motorcyclists, tencing up incase they get clouted from behind by a mad man sideways in a bright yellow Porka.

Love to have ago round there though.....mind you i'd be the one to crash as i would forget what corner is next !

1. Take a trip over to Armchair Enthusiast.

2. Buy yourself a copy of GPL (Grand Prix Legends)

3. Install.

4. Sign up to the TTFRL (Ten Tenths Friendly Racing League)

5. And in a week or so's time you can race a 1967 Ferrari around the full Nordschleife with the rest of us....
Old 6 Oct 2004, 12:53 (Ref:1116879)   #9
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have grand prix legends - unfortunately my family and tumbledown house won't allow me enough time to get half decent at it. I've had fun driving round castle combe though. Easy to remember - and as I've driven on it in my own car I must say it feel s very authentic.

Does the TTFRL thing work on dial up or is it too slow?
Old 6 Oct 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1116894)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, dial-up will work. Not ideal of course, but we have members who race pretty well on dial up.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1116897)   #11
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ring in GPL....I did 2 crash-free laps so far. Didn't even set my fastest time in one of those crash-free laps.

But what a great track! There's a great twisty downhill bit in the beginning, and a full throttle blind corner on top of a hill. There's a definately not full throttle blind corner not much later, you've got to stay focussed for the whole track. Even the really, really long straight at the end, gotta keep your car straight when you start flying....

In a modern F1 car....naaahhh, to much grip to be fun. But it would be great to watch from the side of the track
Old 6 Oct 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1116983)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
1. Take a trip over to Armchair Enthusiast...
1. Take a trip to Dover (if from the same island as me)...

2. Drive through France, Belgium* and a little of Germany

3. Buy a ticket from a machine.

4. Drive the Nordschleife.

5. Smile (alot)

*Spa is on the way.

Of course you (probably) won't get to do it in a '60s F1 car this way.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1116986)   #13
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
It's on my to do list
Old 6 Oct 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1117103)   #14
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GPL i would imagine is the nearest to racing it in real-life. Ayse forgot a step...the default track graphics for the Nordschleife are pretty naff' (considering that the game was made back in 98'), however with a few Google searches and looking around GPL sites, you can easily find a "Track Update" that makes the Nordschleife actually pretty-darn real even on a bag-o-plop machine like mine

btw Ayse, do i still hold the record on the 'ring at 8m15s in the Fezza?

Last edited by Number Juan; 6 Oct 2004 at 16:04.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 6 Oct 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1117158)   #15
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
not . .. Gil Abobeleira aka 917Addicted . he's down to 8.04 with the Lotus and 8m09 with the Fezza .

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Oct 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1117260)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
There is a video called "In Car 956." It is a Porsche 956 driven by Derek Bell circa 1981 or 2 at all of the top circuits: Spa, Le Mans (Mulsanne with no chicane!), Silverstone, Kyalami, etc. The filming is done at speed and in fact Bell sets the second fastest lap ever (up to that time) at the 'Ring during the filming.

Let me tell you - it is as astonishing a piece of racing film as you will ever see! Absolutely breathtaking footage everywhere and particularly the Nordschliefe!

Now this this is in a pretty serious ground effects type of car and even then everyone realized that the cars were just too fast for the track. But what a ride. The video is still available and well worth the $20.00.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1117409)   #17
powermite
Rookie

powermite should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i'm one of the lucky ones who has had a couple of laps of the great circuit.In September four of us went to Spa for the LMES race and then drove onto Nurburg after the race.
I had a new 420 horsepower 6 litre Chevy V8 in my Transam and a newly coverted auto to 6 speed manual gearbox.My mate had his Corvette.
Well I was cra@@ing pulling out on the circuit just thinking of all the famous drivers who had been there before me.The track itself was awesome and ideal for the grunt of my newly invigorated steed and whilst I didnt have chance to try the top speed,the acceleration was awesome and far outweighed my small driving prowess.My other friend who had travelled there with me has dabbled in racecar driving and even built his own car and entered the British GTs a few years back.I could go all that way and not let him have a lap,so this i did.Well he didnt quite have the same feeling of"what if i blow this thing up"that i did and on more than one occassion,i saw the rev counter pinned weel into the red!!!
We all agreed that it was an experience that must be repeated.Fantastic.
The only downside was that the 'ring taxi was fully booked for that day,made even worse by the fact that the driver of it for the day was Hans Stuck!!!Now i know why i couldnt keep up with it on my lap.
If any of you get the chance its really something you must do.

cheers
PM
Old 6 Oct 2004, 22:01 (Ref:1117460)   #18
acf8181
Racer

acf8181 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've done a lap of the 'ring as well (and a very very wet and foggy lap at that)....would've done a lot more if my car hadn't died at tiersgarden at the start of my second lap!

will be going back as soon as i can.

check out www.nurburgring.org.uk lots of good stuff on that site.

i also have so many clips on my computer...if anyone wants them add me to messenger (my username is my hotmail addie) and i'll send them to you (best be on broadband tho...they're mega big).
Old 7 Oct 2004, 00:21 (Ref:1117531)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not get the circus to do demonstration runs in the cars and time the drivers just to see-
ofcourse a new compound of tyre mioght be needed
but this would be fun
they did rip around London after all...
Old 7 Oct 2004, 03:00 (Ref:1117616)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure i recall Patrick Head saying (back in about 1998/9) that, in his estimation, F1 cars would lap the track in a little over 5 minutes
Old 7 Oct 2004, 04:02 (Ref:1117644)   #21
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Which configuration would that be? What is left of the north loop combined with the new crcuit is 16.123-miles. Without the new circuit attached, it is 12.944-miles. The original Nordschleife was 14.167-miles to the lap.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 04:10 (Ref:1117648)   #22
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon

Thinking about it, a modern day WRC car in tarmac spec would be more suited to the Nordschleife than an F1 car...
Very well said.
Modern f1 doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the track!!
Let's face it-current f1 cars have little relevance to real cars anyway...

Wow,that vidio download is big.(i'm on dialup)
I have feeling i'm going to enjoy this....
Old 7 Oct 2004, 05:14 (Ref:1117658)   #23
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll second incar 956 - Aka "There Goes Jacky Ickx On His Qualifying Lap with Derek Bell"

The video is amazing.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 06:34 (Ref:1117702)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
There is a video called "In Car 956." It is a Porsche 956 driven by Derek Bell circa 1981 or 2 at all of the top circuits: Spa, Le Mans (Mulsanne with no chicane!), Silverstone, Kyalami, etc. The filming is done at speed and in fact Bell sets the second fastest lap ever (up to that time) at the 'Ring during the filming.

Didn't know about that one John, will definatly have to invest i think.

For those interested i have found these 2 links....

"in car 956 DVD"

"in car 956 VIDEO"
Old 7 Oct 2004, 07:15 (Ref:1117722)   #25
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
not . .. Gil Abobeleira aka 917Addicted . he's down to 8.04 with the Lotus and 8m09 with the Fezza .
Hum, interesting that my name is posted in a F1 Forum topic .

Though I have those not soo brilliant times at the ring (haven't gone there for several weeks), I do know a little thing or two about the (virtual) thing (never been there, and I don't think I'll go there any time in the future).
BTW, as some guys said, there's the (rough) Ring for F1C (try at www.bhmotorsports.com) and believe me, a F1 there (or a 3,5 Sport-Prto) is boring (maybe its down to not so real physics).

Sorry for going OT