Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Jan 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1814375)   #251
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella
..pardon me for laziness/extreme thickness, but are any Porsche RS Spyders confirmed for LM 2007 or not?
No, none confirmed. Penske and Dyson will run four between them in the ALMS this year, but it seems unlikely either team will venture across for the Big One. No Spyder programmes confirmed for the Le Mans Series so far, but should one materialise, Porsche are very keen for the Spyder to compete at Le Mans this year.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1814429)   #252
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Porsche are very keen for the Spyder to compete at Le Mans this year.
They should've made it a requirement for their customer program then. Is it unlikely they did?
Old 14 Jan 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1814700)   #253
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As far as I'm aware, Motors TV will be repeating their outstanding mega week long live coverage of Le Mans this year. In 2006 they covered scrutineering, all qualifying sessions and the entire 24 hours (plus the long build up and podium), live.

I assume you'll get the same again this year!
So jealous. All we get tv wise in Australia is a 1 hour review a month later.

Radio le mans for me.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 09:19 (Ref:1814713)   #254
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
So jealous. All we get tv wise in Australia is a 1 hour review a month later.

Radio le mans for me.
It's surely only a matter of time before Motors TV becomes available as an online subscription TV channel.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 10:25 (Ref:1814756)   #255
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
It's surely only a matter of time before Motors TV becomes available as an online subscription TV channel.

I would prefer sooner rather than later. A nice 2-3 Mbit stream would be great. Where do I sign?
Old 14 Jan 2007, 12:47 (Ref:1814813)   #256
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't know but their website is here so probably worth keeping an eye out.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 07:39 (Ref:1815510)   #257
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While walking round the NEC on Thrusday I saw Hindy getting Liz Hailday to do a peace to camara saying that "watch the whole Le Mans 24 Hours Live On Motors"
Old 15 Jan 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1815590)   #258
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I was told unofficially to expect the start of next year's race to be brought forward from the traditional time of four o'clock. The race clashes with the second round of the French parliamentary elections which take place on the Sunday (17th June).
I see from the provisional schedule for race week that's been published on the 2007 booking form that the race is expected to start at 16:00 this year. The changed start time of 17:00 in 2006 was already detailed in the equivalent document last year. So, my guess is that the ACO have probably decided it's business as usual and deem an earlier start to be unnecessary.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 03:34 (Ref:1816193)   #259
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Either that or they think that people will go ahead and vote in the elections, as it will probably come down to being an Audi and Peugeot battle, and that Peugeot has said that they really don't expect to win this year against Audi.
Just a thought.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 00:33 (Ref:1817091)   #260
phunky_monkey
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
phunky_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys,

How's it going?

I'm making my way to Le Mans from Australia for the first time for the 2007 race, and can't wait! Just had a quick question for you guys... as this is my first Le Mans, and have a limited knowledge of the track, I'm not too sure where my best vantage point from the grand stands will be.

I'm about to book my ticket and have narrowed it down to a few spots that look the goods.
1 - Tertre Rouge
5 - Dunlop
34 - Above the pits
14 - Barrato

Dunlop and Tertre are appealing as I would like to see some braking, not just the cars flying past on the straight. If I could grab an opinion on any of these stands it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Dane
Old 17 Jan 2007, 08:47 (Ref:1817248)   #261
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey
Hey guys,

How's it going?

I'm making my way to Le Mans from Australia for the first time for the 2007 race, and can't wait! Just had a quick question for you guys... as this is my first Le Mans, and have a limited knowledge of the track, I'm not too sure where my best vantage point from the grand stands will be.

I'm about to book my ticket and have narrowed it down to a few spots that look the goods.
1 - Tertre Rouge
5 - Dunlop
34 - Above the pits
14 - Barrato

Dunlop and Tertre are appealing as I would like to see some braking, not just the cars flying past on the straight. If I could grab an opinion on any of these stands it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Dane
Welcome to Ten Tenths phunky_monkey (Dane)!

It's a difficult and very subjective question, 'which grandstand?'. Each of the one's you mention has it's merits, but for a first visit, Tribune 34 would probably get my vote.

Tertre Rouge - a long way from the Pit Straight. You'll get a nice view of the Esses and the approach to Tertre Rouge corner, and for the first time, the ACO intend to install a giant screen opposite (although it'll have to be giant, opposite is a very long way from the grandstand!). But do bear in mind that you can easily walk to, and watch the race from, this area, without the need of a grandstand.

Dunlop - Someone (Truckers! ) is bound to be along shortly to tell you that the Dunlop grandstand is the best of the best. You'll see braking for the chicane and you'll get a giant screen opposite. This is without doubt a very good vantage point, but you are once again a bit detached from the Pit Straight.

Barnato - You'll be closer to the action in the pitlane, just opposite the exit from the pits. You'll be able to get a flavour of the pre-race build up, although you're just beyond where everything happens. You should also be able to see one or other of the two giant screens opposite (although you may find yourself annoyingly positioned halfway between the two!).

Tribune 34 above the pits - First the downside, if it's a hot one this year, you'll bake in the afternoon sun if you're allocated seats in one of the front few rows. But if that doesn't bother you, this grandstand offers a unique view of the race you simply won't get anywhere else on the circuit. You'll see the pre-grid, the driver presentations, the grid formation, start, and as much of the race as you choose to watch from the comfort of your seat. And when the stand empties out (usually within a two or three hours of the start), you'll be able to walk down to the front of the stand and watch all the action in the pits from above. There is also no catch fencing on this side of the track to interrupt your view. For a first visit, I reckon this is your best option. You'll feel more involved with the action and get the full atmosphere of the race from here. Once the race has started, you can easily find a vantage point to watch the race from where the other grandstands are located, you just won't have a seat.

That's my take on it, but others will disagree. As I said before, it's all very subjective...........
Old 17 Jan 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1817282)   #262
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excuse me if I have missed a thread somewhere else.

News item from the RML MG Lola website ( www.mg-lola.com)

Announced at the Autosport Show last thursday was that Andy Wallace has been confirmed as the third seat alongside Mike and Tommy.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 14:22 (Ref:1817559)   #263
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bentley03 can help out here, but if tickets are still available we were in the grandstand opposite the pits in 06 (opposite the Aston Martin pit) - good view of pitlane itself (though without the overhead view as on other side of track), pre-race build up etc and some sun as well but has the benefit of not getting full force of the sun but still with the views!
Old 17 Jan 2007, 16:51 (Ref:1817713)   #264
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Dunlop - Someone (Truckers! ) is bound to be along shortly to tell you that the Dunlop grandstand is the best of the best.
I appear to have gained myself a reputation....

I do favour the Dunlop stand, I'm not fussed about missing the pre-race build up as I've seen it on previous years. The one thing that I do miss is the finish, as the cars don't do a parade lap after the chequered flag.

The best of the best stand is, of course, the ACO stand, but tickets for this are more of an effort to get (limit of 2 per ACO member).
Old 17 Jan 2007, 23:03 (Ref:1818016)   #265
phunky_monkey
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Bentley03: Thanks for the welcome mate, and thanks for the comprehensive reply!

I think after reading your response, aswell as that of Truckosaurus and Suze, I think I've narrowed it down to Dunlop and above the pits, and not opposite them. If I'm not going to be able to see braking etc from my stand then I'd like a good view from directly above pit lane. A friend who is coming is a photographer also, so these vantage points would probably be best for him also. I like the idea of being able to see into pit lane.

I'm pretty sure the sun/temps won't bother us too much as we're used to the heat, but what sort of temperature are we talking here? It was 40 degrees celcius here yesterday...

So I take it that it is relatively easy to navigate the track to get to, say, Dunlop on foot if I were to get the grandstand ticket??

Thanks again all

Dane
Old 18 Jan 2007, 07:55 (Ref:1818175)   #266
Suze
Veteran

England
Yes, it is. The only thing with the sun is it can be directly on you and after a period of time it can be uncomfortable! Guess it depends what you're used to back home though

Personally I'd go for above the pits, to get some of the pre-race build up and atmosphere as well.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 08:45 (Ref:1818208)   #267
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
If I'm not going to be able to see braking etc from my stand then I'd like a good view from directly above pit lane. A friend who is coming is a photographer also, so these vantage points would probably be best for him also. I like the idea of being able to see into pit lane.

I'm pretty sure the sun/temps won't bother us too much as we're used to the heat, but what sort of temperature are we talking here? It was 40 degrees celcius here yesterday...

So I take it that it is relatively easy to navigate the track to get to, say, Dunlop on foot if I were to get the grandstand ticket??
If your friend's a photographer, go for T34 above the pits. No catch fencing (as I said before), and he'll get some amazing shots of the cars in the pits looking vertically down at them. You won't, of course, get a view into the garages, but once the race has started the crowd thins out in front of the grandstands opposite the pits, so you can easily just go through one of the tunnels to get the view across the track and into the garages. This is the pit complex with T34 above:

......and the view in each direction from in front of T19 (Lagache) which is opposite T34:

Temperatures are unlikely to get above 34 or 35 degrees (if it's a hot one) which probably won't bother you too much, but it can be uncomfortably humid. Navigating the public enclosures at the track is easy enough, it's a long race so plenty of time to explore. You can get as far as Tertre Rouge corner from the main enclosure. Do make the effort to get out to the Arnage and Mulsanne enclosures (Arnage especially). Arnage is least crowded after about 4am on the Sunday morning, a visit there in the dark is spectacular. And my favourite time at Mulsanne corner is sunrise (usually about 06:30-07:00, can't remember exactly but we usually head down there once it starts to get light at Arnage).

Hope that helps a bit, Dane
Old 18 Jan 2007, 12:00 (Ref:1818381)   #268
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it's been mentioned, but all the stands are open to the public during the qualifying sessions on the Wednesday and Thursday evenings.

You'll be able to test out the views and be able to make an informed choice for 2008.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1818467)   #269
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone here used the Maison Blanche Grandstand before the Start Finish Straight? I will be in it for the race this year and would appreciate any pics of the views/comments on it etc. I will mainly walk around and watch from different areas, but it will be nice to have somewhere to sit to cool off or if god forbid it rains, to stay a bit drier.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 14:31 (Ref:1818493)   #270
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've still not had any contact from the ACO - just chased them by email and hope to get a reply soon. They are usually pretty good for replying! Will let you know what happens...
Old 18 Jan 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1818550)   #271
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
Anyone here used the Maison Blanche Grandstand before the Start Finish Straight? I will be in it for the race this year and would appreciate any pics of the views/comments on it etc.
I've sat it the MB stand during qualifying sessions. You get a good view of the Ford Chicane and a view up the main straight rather than just across to the pits. The one peculiarity of the stand is that the sound from the cars echoes off the back wall, which makes cars that 'backfire' on the gearchanges even more painful.

Not sure how it's situated for big screens for this year.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1818595)   #272
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Truckosaurus. I will be taking some ear protection anyway I cant wait! If there's no TV screen I will try in vain to listen to Radio Le Mans on my radio, but chances are it wont be audible over the cars!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 17:47 (Ref:1818628)   #273
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus

Not sure how it's situated for big screens for this year.
the position of the TV's is given here.

http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/ca...et24h_2007.pdf

The ACO are processing applications from the 12th June when I emailed them on the 9/1/07, so if you applied before the 12 June you should have have heard by now.

Otherwise sit tight and pray you get what you want!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1818849)   #274
phunky_monkey
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
If your friend's a photographer, go for T34 above the pits. No catch fencing (as I said before), and he'll get some amazing shots of the cars in the pits looking vertically down at them. You won't, of course, get a view into the garages, but once the race has started the crowd thins out in front of the grandstands opposite the pits, so you can easily just go through one of the tunnels to get the view across the track and into the garages. This is the pit complex with T34 above:

......and the view in each direction from in front of T19 (Lagache) which is opposite T34:

Temperatures are unlikely to get above 34 or 35 degrees (if it's a hot one) which probably won't bother you too much, but it can be uncomfortably humid. Navigating the public enclosures at the track is easy enough, it's a long race so plenty of time to explore. You can get as far as Tertre Rouge corner from the main enclosure. Do make the effort to get out to the Arnage and Mulsanne enclosures (Arnage especially). Arnage is least crowded after about 4am on the Sunday morning, a visit there in the dark is spectacular. And my favourite time at Mulsanne corner is sunrise (usually about 06:30-07:00, can't remember exactly but we usually head down there once it starts to get light at Arnage).

Hope that helps a bit, Dane
Thanks again for the information! It's been a great help, and I've taken your advice and booked a grandstand ticket in T34

Hopefully it doesn't get too hot there, but if it does I'm sure we can deal with it for a few hours

We've booked a coach tour that takes us to Arnage and Mulsanne, as they are definately two corners I have to see! We are going at around 7:30, but I'll also definately be making a visit during the early morning.

Thanks again for your help everyone, I'm excited already!

Dane
Old 18 Jan 2007, 23:53 (Ref:1818935)   #275
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Thanks again for the information! It's been a great help, and I've taken your advice and booked a grandstand ticket in T34

Thanks again for your help everyone, I'm excited already!

Dane
Glad the info was of help, Dane!

Incidentally, we have a 10-10ths meeting on the Saturday around lunchtime (there'll be a thread on here with the details nearer the time). Feel free to come along and say hello (or g'day if you prefer )!