Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Oct 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1732797)   #101
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucky guys!
Man that place if beautiful!
Old 17 Oct 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1740036)   #102
chrisp2006
Racer

chrisp2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those are nice pictures. Im going to have to try and get down there for next year
Old 21 Oct 2006, 01:43 (Ref:1743733)   #103
TrevorC
Rookie

TrevorC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this belongs in another thread, my apologies, just let me know which one and I will repost there.

I am in Western Canada and I am planning to go to LeMans in June 07. It is my understanding that there are activities and events during the preceding week to the great race. Therefore I am planning (hoping) to arrive early in the week.

My thought is to fly into the UK and take a package from there as I have noticed in the past that there are some hotel/transport/race ticket packages available.

As many of you here have first hand experience in attending LeMans I'm looking for your thoughts, comments and suggestions.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1744814)   #104
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorC
If this belongs in another thread, my apologies, just let me know which one and I will repost there.
I think this is as good a thread as any for this kind of thiing...

Quote:
I am in Western Canada and I am planning to go to LeMans in June 07. It is my understanding that there are activities and events during the preceding week to the great race. Therefore I am planning (hoping) to arrive early in the week.
You understand correctly, and IMHO the days leading upto the race are the highlight of the event (from both a racing and social point of view).

The usual calendar is scrutineering on Monday and Tuesday, Qualifying on Wedsnesday and Thursday evenings. Mad Friday, open pitlane and drivers' parade on Friday. Some racing Saturday and Sunday.

Quote:
My thought is to fly into the UK and take a package from there as I have noticed in the past that there are some hotel/transport/race ticket packages available.
Whilst there are packages, also check out buying direct from the ACO ( http://www.lemans.org ) and arrange to collect your tickets in person (so they don't get lost in the post).

Quote:
As many of you here have first hand experience in attending LeMans I'm looking for your thoughts, comments and suggestions.
Anything else, ask away. There's plenty of advice on this forum, the Pistonheads.com Le Mans forum and on the Club Arnage forums too.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1745411)   #105
TrevorC
Rookie

TrevorC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Anything else, ask away. There's plenty of advice on this forum, the Pistonheads.com Le Mans forum and on the Club Arnage forums too.
Thanks for your comments and advise !! This trip is something I have been looking forward to since the early 70's and using the accumulated knowledge here will help make it the trip of a lifetime. Thx for taking the time to reply !!

Trevor...... Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Old 23 Oct 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1745984)   #106
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally I didn't do a package. I flew out for a night on the weekend between the test weekend and race weekend to see Sam - did Heathrow to Paris CDG with AirFrance which was £100. I flew back out on the Weds before the race - arranged flights to Tours from Stanstead with Ryanair (about £60, I think) and the hotel room was taken care of by Sam's company. Hire cars available at Tours but Sam had a company car out there. Bentley03 kindly took care of arranging my tickets for me. You could do it yourself easily, is really my point!
Old 23 Oct 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1746047)   #107
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really want to catch the scrutineering sessions. I notice that last year there were 4 sessions at various times leading up to the race. What can I expect to see at each of these?

Also question for the public transport campers: how do you charge up your camera batteries?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1746212)   #108
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Also question for the public transport campers: how do you charge up your camera batteries?
I reckon the best bet would be to find a public bar or restaurant with an electrical outlet and sit drinking beer until they are recharged.

It might be easier to bring a couple of spare (fully charged) batteries.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1746270)   #109
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ingenious plan
Old 23 Oct 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1746631)   #110
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zac510 - Scrutineering normally takes place on the Monday and Tuesday before the race (or at least it did this year) – its two day due to the number of cars involved and happens in the centre of Le Mans itself. Then after that there’s practise and qualifying. Normally I aim to arrive just in time to set the tent up and have a few beers before night qualifying on the Wednesday night.

Next year coming things are going to be a hell of a lot easier for those on the camp site, the new tram link is going to be great. Its just going to be a few tram stops down the line to Carfeur (spelling?) and ample fresh food and (of course) beer and also to Le Mans town center itself.

Personally, I can't wait! I'm finding the more Le Mans I do, the less I remember
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1746788)   #111
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Talking of the new tram system, I have just found this map:- http://www.ville-lemans.fr/download....FF1D6-ABF7926B

Which show where it will be going.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1746835)   #112
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Talking of the new tram system, I have just found this map:- http://www.ville-lemans.fr/download....FF1D6-ABF7926B

Which show where it will be going.
Well spotted!
Old 24 Oct 2006, 07:21 (Ref:1747111)   #113
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
But will the tram run later into the evening than the bus routes, which stop around 18h00....
Old 24 Oct 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1747254)   #114
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
no

don't be silly...!
Old 24 Oct 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1747724)   #115
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as there is a tram to get me from Houx Annexe to the drivers prade and back again next year I will be happy chap. In fact looking at the map it look as if there is tram stop right next to the roundabout at top side of said campsite, that will make trips to Carrifour (sp) easier next year !!!
Old 26 Oct 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1750245)   #116
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You're actually expecting them to finish the tram system by June 2007?
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1753585)   #117
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi guys, Im a long time viewer first time poster on this thread!

Myself and my better half marshalled our first Le Mans this year and we've already submitted some of our forms for next year! We loved it!

I think that tram line will have a hugely positive impact on getting people too and from the circuit but it looked to have a bit more than a years work left on it!
Old 4 Nov 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1757788)   #118
Suze
Veteran

England
I agree with the last part. We hope to use it this year, depending how it works out, instead of driving. And hopefully we can stay a little closer than Tours for the race weekend itself - drive slightly frustrating!
Old 8 Nov 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1761210)   #119
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago (but forgot!).

I was told unofficially to expect the start of next year's race to be brought forward from the traditional time of four o'clock. The race clashes with the second round of the French parliamentary elections which take place on the Sunday (17th June). The race could get underway as early as 14:00.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 07:26 (Ref:1761365)   #120
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
The race could get underway as early as 14:00.
If its true it would make it slightly easier for people making a dash for the ferries on Sunday evening. I know of two marshals that had to literally sit in their car at the end of the race this year to try make the run to the ferry because the race was an hour later than usual.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 09:18 (Ref:1761431)   #121
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood
If its true it would make it slightly easier for people making a dash for the ferries on Sunday evening. I know of two marshals that had to literally sit in their car at the end of the race this year to try make the run to the ferry because the race was an hour later than usual.
Given the huge number of racegoers who make the pilgrimage from outside of France each year (many of whom would prefer to get home in time to go to work on the Monday rather than use up a day's holiday), I've always felt that the ACO should consider permanently changing the traditional start time to earlier in the day. The added bonus is increased daylight racing on the Saturday with the field more closely bunched than it is when dawn breaks on the Sunday morning.

I do believe the start of next year's race will be brought forward, but I have two notes of caution regarding my last post; firstly (and please correct me if I'm wrong), previous races which have clashed with elections have only been brought forward by an hour (15:00 start), and secondly, I seem to remember we anticipated a change to the start time when the race last clashed with the elections (2002 I think?), but no change was made and the race started at 16:00.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1761437)   #122
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
I can understand the need to change the start time to avoid clashes with other live televised sporting events, but how come the elections would be a problem, do the polls shut @ 16h00 or something?
Old 9 Nov 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1761440)   #123
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
I can understand the need to change the start time to avoid clashes with other live televised sporting events, but how come the elections would be a problem, do the polls shut @ 16h00 or something?
From memory, I believe the polls close at 20:00. But the race draws people from all over France, many of whom will have a journey of several hours to get home.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1761451)   #124
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Well, they've got 7 months to sort themselves a postal vote then.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1762433)   #125
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I must admit a slightly earlier start time would suit me and I'm sure lots of others - is there any downside to this other than tradition?