Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 Jun 2007, 11:38 (Ref:1947170)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Radio Le Mans 2007 - How Was it For You?

(Yes, I am still here - just recovering now after going back to work following a week of doing very little last week - plenty of catching up to do now...... ).

As you know, I have a pal who is an RLM stalwart and, if its OK, he'd like to pose this question through me.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't listen to RLM except on Wednesday (back at home for qually) and then during the race itself, but this year I did listen to a lot of the race on RLM. I personally thought the coverage was very good indeed - it always helps to keep me going through the night!

Anyone else have anythoughts - particularely those of you who either listened at other times or listened back at home on the web?
Old 26 Jun 2007, 11:44 (Ref:1947172)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was there so hope am still allowed to answer but having been to two LM and listened to RLM both times I find it great - informative, wide range of interviews and at many times funny too - definitely one of those "can't do without" items now for forthcoming races for me.

I listened during test weekend, a little during quali and through the race itself...
Old 26 Jun 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1947194)   #3
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I regret that I'm old enough to have been to Le Mans in the pre RLM days, when the only way you had much of a clue about what was going on was a few minutes of English commentary every hour over the PA system - if you could hear it (in the days when the cars made a 'proper' noise! )
IMHO Le Mans without RLM would be a much less enjoyable experience - it would be churlish in the extreme to critise any of the output - and just try and imagine what it would be like without it. They do a great job and long may they continue
Old 26 Jun 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1947213)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I forgot my radio at one point in the race and was completely and utterly lost as to what on earth was going on. each of the presenters has his own style, and regardless of whether or not you like that style...there's someone for everyone.

Plus...great this year for telling you theres a sharp shower heading your way!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1947215)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Our group did, in fact, go to bed Sunday morning, and was it ever great to wake up at 6am, stuff the earbuds in, and hear Paul T tell me what had happened in our 3 hours away.

I always found it to be excellent additional information when watching on Speed; trackside, it's everything.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 26 Jun 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1947231)   #6
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love those guys!!!
Still waiting for the Castrol advert to be replayed from years ago though.
One disappointment was that I could hear every word at full volume on my mp3/radio even when the cars went past!
[not that the words weren't great - just a dig at the cars being quieter!]
Old 26 Jun 2007, 13:05 (Ref:1947233)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
As always some of our group kept saying that it was not as good as last year, but they say that every year and still would not be without it.

I enjoyed this years coverage very much and the only complaint was that the repeated coverage of qualifing did confuse us a couple of times, after we had been away from the radio during Thursday and Friday. Perhaps the occasional recorded message telling people what they were listening to would help.

I do misss some of the old features and adverts but in my opinion this years RLM was essential listening.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1947238)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was my first LM but not my first time listening to RLM. I should be used to the style of endurance commentary (a bit like cricket where they can waffle on for a while without really discussing the play at the times not much is happening), but being at the track I demanded a bit more as I was more immersed in the race. I would have liked to hear positions + split times a bit more frequently.
They seemed to have had the extreme knack, which I completely understand is coincidental, of going to an ad break right at a crucial time. A couple of times I noticed a car limping on the tv screens as they go to a break without a mention of it. They also took an ad break right when the final shower came down. I thought that was quite a significant point in the race - maybe they should have delayed the ad and kept commentating.
Overall I was very thankful and it enhanced my enjoyment of the race quite a lot!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1947250)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
the only complaint was that the repeated coverage of qualifing did confuse us a couple of times
That was something that annoyed me a little too....I appreciate that everyone needs a break but especially if you have already listened to / been at the track for / watched qualifying, I am sure we're not the only two people who find it a tad frustrating.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 15:35 (Ref:1947332)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I doubt that the issue of when to take ad breaks was within the control of the commentators.......
Old 26 Jun 2007, 15:35 (Ref:1947333)   #11
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RLM was as always, a very important part of my enjoyment of the weekend and I agree with many of the positive statements made so far. But I'm going to try and answer this question objectively as I would imagine it will be more helpful to those in a position to influence the output of RLM.

The race coverage is what its all about as far as I'm concerned and in this respect I felt a bit differently about it this year due to the increase in the number of screens the ACO placed around the main spectating areas. In previous years, I have spent the bulk of my time spectating in areas that didn't have a screen and was very dependent on RLM to keep track of things. This year, I watched from exactly the same spots and found that I really didn't 'need' RLM. I found myself taking much less interest in it. Yes, its always good to have some knowledgable people talking about what you are seeing, but the fact is that a knowledgabe spectator coupled with the comprehensive TV coverage can now figure out virtually everything that the RLM commentators can figure out.
The only times I felt I really 'needed' some input from RLM was when I wanted something I could 'see' confirmed or I wanted more detailed status information. Namely, the positions of the cars within each class. The TV coverage of the class positions was often in quite small print and quite 'fleeting'. Unfortunately, RLM didn't really come up with the goods in this respect. The basic race position, i.e. who's leading overall, who's second etc. was covered regularly. But the next level of detail i.e. positions of each class 1st to 3rd, distance between each car and relative lap times just wasn't available. If anything, the information from RLM was much less detailed than previous years.

The output during the non-race period was generally pretty good. As a commercial enterprise it is inevitable that there will be alot of advertising and this was certainly the case, but on the whole it didn't invade on the real content too badly. Some of the supposed 'real' content was a bit lame though, with some pretty inane questions being put to some very intelligent and interesting people..... I do understand though that many of those interviewed are current (or potential) sponsors for the station, so its unlikely that RLM would want to put them on the spot!... a bit of a conflict of interest here. However, during the race they did push Peugoet pretty hard for some answers regarding their lack of race pace and they did a very good job of putting the spectators perspective to Hugh Chamberlain during the last very long 'team manager requested' safety car period.

All in all, as always, I was very glad RLM were there. But I do think they need to realign their output with what's now available to the trackside spectator.... and what's not available!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1947335)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I didn't catch a huge amount of RLM this year - seem to end up seeing/hearing less and less of the race each year - but there was one big ommission... ALAN HYDE! Where was the old bugger? I don't think LM clashed with anything 'back home' this year but we were Alanless! Get him back on board next year, please!

Do they still go around the campgrounds and report from there/interview the campers in the run up to the race? I used to love that - really helped build the atmosphere!

One thing that did bug me a little, especially towards the end of the race, was when they would give the race order out they wouldn't state the number of laps (or seconds!) between the cars... which was frustrating!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1947365)   #13
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Radio Le Mans was great this year, especially at the Nurburg! I hardly got to listen RLM because I went home and my Dad wouldn't let me move his computer so I only got to hear about 3 hours maximum. Every second was radio GOLD!

A trip to Le Mans is nothing without RLM!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 17:06 (Ref:1947420)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
RLM ..... as usuall ..... teriffic !!!

I seriously might have doubts going to Le Mans if RLM stopped their superb coverage , cuz it would be bloody dificult to find out exactly what is happening .

Keep up the show ..... well done those folk .

Anyone got the soundtrack frrom 1989 .... the castrol song ..... Baby you make me broom broom , your just my kinda girl ?

I love that !!!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1947591)   #15
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Love catching up with the race with RLM when SPEED spent time away from the race. Missed having them all night on SPEED, but did mute the tv a few times to turn up the laptop. Def better coverage the speed overall with better backstories as the race developed and slightly better informed.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 20:46 (Ref:1947606)   #16
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinspace75
As a commercial enterprise it is inevitable that there will be alot of advertising and this was certainly the case, but on the whole it didn't invade on the real content too badly.
Were you listening to the same station as me?

I thought there was very little advertising - only about one minute per hour.

Given that most radio stations in the UK run between nine and 12 minutes of adverts per hour, Radio Le Mans was very restrained.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1947618)   #17
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic, and well presented- the opening 'crew' are just so entertaining, and the Americans (i forget names, sorry :$) were a good blend of comic and informative. And the emails were responded to qucikly, which is nice.

Best feature? Nurburgring 24h, i thought that was even better.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 21:26 (Ref:1947641)   #18
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Were you listening to the same station as me?

I thought there was very little advertising - only about one minute per hour.

Given that most radio stations in the UK run between nine and 12 minutes of adverts per hour, Radio Le Mans was very restrained.
During the race it was minimal I agree, and thats the important bit. But alot of the Saturday build up was given over to pre-arranged lengthy discussions with all and sundry at Aston Martin and some other smaller businesses that were operating and promoting themselves at the circuit..... I think one was a chat with the company that made the carbon fibre guitars and amps that the band in the Aston Martin hospitality unit were using and another was with a woman running a health spa. I can't remember any others as I turned it off!

This may be a cynical view, but I'm pretty sure that alot of these 'chats' were more about those businesses paying for some airtime than RLM providing 'interesting' insight for the listeners.

But, like I said, it has to be funded somehow.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1947685)   #19
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone hear the post race show. ****ing brillant, they had people ringing with their best Henri Pescarolo or David Piper accent
Old 27 Jun 2007, 07:19 (Ref:1947837)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Overall I would say Radio Le Mans was much much better than last year. There didn't seem to be as many e-mails read out. I must download the race from there website so I can listen back to the bits that I missed !!!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 07:40 (Ref:1947851)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Is the whole race available?
Old 27 Jun 2007, 07:49 (Ref:1947863)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I don't know how many of you remember but in the old days RLM used to be full of requests for bits and pieces of old cars, and sometimes they were not just funny but amazingly someone would turn up with the exact gangle pin or washer for their 1962 MG or TR. Some of the other requests were also very strange but I suppose that this service is no longer needed or RLM don't feel they should be providing it.

I always remember someone asking if anyone had a windscreen for a particular morris minor and within 20 minutes it had been found.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1947864)   #23
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
First time RLM listener this year as I wasn't able to watch it live. I must say I was very impressed with the program. Of course its hard to convey everything on the radio, and thats what I was thinking going in to it, but I was pleasantly suprised with the broadcast and though it's hard for them to cover everything I would have liked, it was overall an excellent show. I did like some of the personalities more than others but I felt there was a good mix. I must say that I have become a fan and shall make sure to tune in every race you guys cover. Cheers.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 09:32 (Ref:1947950)   #24
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Is the whole race available?
Yes, including qualifying too. Have downloaded the files already and keeping them on a DVD.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1947960)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've often said to Paul T. that the one thing I miss most of all about RLM is his commentary partnership with Ian Titchmarsh. The two of them were just just so entertaining to listen to.