Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 13 May 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2879911)   #676
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Quick OT question Mike, are you just involved in aerodynamics or do you have a hand in other areas? (say drivetrain technology?)
These days I have a hand in neither. In the past I was involved in aero development but nothing beyond that.
Old 14 May 2011, 04:35 (Ref:2880118)   #677
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Not really, but I do regularly speak with people involved. Naturally they're tight lipped as hell, but the basic fact that they are working on something (and still working on it) doesn't need to be said to reach the conclusion I've reached.
Arh, yes.
Just the fact that they are doing something is a pretty big indication!
Old 14 May 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2880145)   #678
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A pretty idyllic scenario would involve three big manufacturers at the top going for it. Here's hoping that the Toyota LMP project comes through, and that Peugeot and Audi are still around for it.

I have read on these forums and elsewhere that Audi may be canning it's LMP project after the R18; how committed to LMP is Peugeot?
Old 14 May 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2880234)   #679
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's scary is that we know the ACO is talking to Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren about their GT cars. And that we know they'd all like to see them going fighting for overall wins against the many other manufacturers that would probably be interested. (let's not get into how they would make them fast enough without becoming prototypes, all we know is that staying over the 3.30 limit would be somewhat easier)

On the proto side, we have Audi and Peugeot that have been there for much longer than the normal duration of a manufacturer program and that have the diesel inequality complaints to tarnish their victories. We know that both new cars were designed with KERS in mind for next year and maybe the one after that. Prototype entry levels in the LMS and in the ALMS are so low that some say the P1 category could disappear next year in those championships. We know that Aston Martin has a three-year program in mind... if the car can start working at some point. We know that Toyota, Nissan and reportedly many others are taking a look. But the only real case of a manufacturer building a program with a Le Mans win in mind is Acura. Financial crisis or not, it is very hard to argue that the car's results on track against the best cars (diesels) had nothing to do with the program being canned.

The rules have to look as "fair" and promising to manufacturers as they were for Audi an Peugeot when they decided to build diesel LMPs. If no serious manufacturer effort is attracted within the next 2 years, it looks to me like the class will not survive if/when one of the manufacturers currently involved leaves.
Old 14 May 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2880251)   #680
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
A pretty idyllic scenario would involve three big manufacturers at the top going for it. Here's hoping that the Toyota LMP project comes through, and that Peugeot and Audi are still around for it.

I have read on these forums and elsewhere that Audi may be canning it's LMP project after the R18; how committed to LMP is Peugeot?
The good news is that IF Audi leaves LMP, a new company is likely going to take its place. A lot is going on at VW/Audi/Porsche in terms of deciding the motorsports future of each respected brand, so anything could happen. What I heard was that the Audi r18 would be the last diesel le mans prototype from Audi and they wanted to switch their LMP program to Hybrid in the near future. There is of course the Williams/Audi rumour, but after what Ullrich said about F1 Id be suprised if that happens. Even if Audi does stay in LMP1 there is still a chance that the brand I mentioned earlier will join.
Old 14 May 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2880252)   #681
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post

Take it as a rumour for now, but apparently a manufactuer LMP program has been given the green light for next season, in addition Zytek will announce a manufactuer backed program soon. Toyota are working on an LMP in Cologne, and Wirth have a coupe ready to go, the future of which is more optimistic now HPD are selling the current P1. One rumour may relate to the other, who knows.

Rumours about Audi have been ongoing since the R8 competed, if Audi go to F1 Porsche will be in P1, and vice versa. On Peugeot's side diesel and hybrid technology is their focus, F1 was a disaster, the WRC is the domain of Citroen.

I do favour protoypes but I'm not going to back something I think has no future, far from it I think the class has never been stronger.

In the mid '90's protoypes were sad cut and shut 962's and such, GT's the home of manufactuers with full factory teams, follow the development of these GT's, and you end with current P1's like the 908 and R18.

The current GT field is the domain of customers, with the exception of Corvette and soon to be departed BMW. Audi and Peugeot will field three cars apiece, with the best drivers, backed up by huge marketing. The latest Ferrari or Porsche GTE will only be on the grid if a customer purchases the car, at best they'll recieve a factory contracted driver.

I did hear Mclaren talk about not thinking LMP's were relevant, or appealing to the public, but you have to take this with a pinch of salt. The Mclaren organisation has been built upon F1 single seaters, using technology with little road relevance, against rivals like Red Bull and Virgin, oh, and Ferrari.

Le Mans and the ILMC is about attracting mainstream manufactuers to promote their brand and the event. The likes of Porsche have two objectives, a customer program to sell 911's, a halo program to develop technology and promote the brand, i.e LMP or F1. Much of the 918 technology is descended from the RS Spyder, Porsche are demonstrating what they learned in competition, it isn't a car designed to spearhead Porsches competition future.

The Group C World Championship ended in 1992, it's taken untill 2011 for the sport to have clear, stable regs, with clear distinctions between LMP and GT, factory and privateer, and a worldwide platform in the form of the ILMC, which crucially includes Le Mans, that means the ACO are serious.

Last edited by JAG; 14 May 2011 at 13:56.
Old 14 May 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2880255)   #682
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Take it as a rumour for now, but apparently a manufactuer LMP program has been given the green light for next season, in addition Zytek will announce a manufactuer backed program soon. Toyota are working on an LMP in Cologne, and Wirth have a coupe ready to go, the future of which is more optimistic now HPD are selling the current P1.

Rumours about Audi have been ongoing since the R8 competed, if Audi go to F1 Porsche will be in P1, and vice versa. On Peugeot's side diesel and hybrid technolgy is their focus, F1 was a disaster, the WRC is the domain of Citroen.

I do favour protoypes but I'm not going to back something I think has no future, far from it I think the class has never been stronger.

In the mid '90's protoypes were sad cut and shut 962's and such, GT's the home of manufactuers with full factory teams, follow the development of these GT's, and you end with current P1's like the 908 and R18.

The current GT field is the domain of customers, with the exception of Corvette and soon to be departed BMW. Audi and Peugeot will field three cars apiece, with the best drivers, backed up by huge marketing. The latest Ferrari or Porsche GTE will only be on the grid if a customer purchases the car, at best they'll recieve a factory contracted driver.

I did hear Mclaren talk about not thinking LMP's were relevant, or appealing to the public, but you have to take this with a pinch of salt. The Mclaren organisation has been built upon F1 single seaters, using technology with little road relevance, against rivals like Red Bull and Virgin, oh, and Ferrari.

Le Mans and the ILMC is about attracting mainstream manufactuers to promote their brand and the event, not only sell customer cars. The likes of Porsche have two objectives, a customer program to sell 911's, a halo program to develop technology and promote the brand, i.e LMP or F1.

Much of the 918 technology is descended from the RS Spyder, Porsche are demonstrating what they learned in competition, it isn't a car designed to spearhead Porsches competition future.

The Group C World Championship ended in 1992, it's taken untill 2011 for the sport to have clear, stable regs, with clear distinctions between LMP and GT, factory and privateer, and a worldwide platform in the form of the ILMC, which crucially includes Le Mans, that means the ACO are serious.
Correct.
Old 14 May 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2880261)   #683
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Arh, yes.
Just the fact that they are doing something is a pretty big indication!
Yes, they are doing something, but until they make an official announcement it must fall into the category of merely being a "study".
Old 14 May 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2880382)   #684
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Yes, they are doing something, but until they make an official announcement it must fall into the category of merely being a "study".
You are talking about Toyota right!!!!!
Old 14 May 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2880385)   #685
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
You are talking about Toyota right!!!!!
A Japanese manufacturer who will not jump in to anything unless it had been okayed from the very top and they know for sure that it makes commercial and economic sense.

If one single thing doesn't add up they won't go racing.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2900094)   #686
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting news from Mariantic...

"Toyota testing Dome built open LMP1 - Autosport print ed."

http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/
Old 16 Jun 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2900194)   #687
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Interesting news from Mariantic...

"Toyota testing Dome built open LMP1 - Autosport print ed."

http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/
Well i know what iv'e drawn from this. They must realy be racking up the Publicity by keeping people waiting. lol