Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2020, 19:15 (Ref:4002674)   #201
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Why was this race allowed to run for so long? Wasn't there a new rule (introduced after the extra-long 2011 Canadian GP) that said F1 race must end two hours after the start? This is a joke. F1 eats its own rules.
2 hours of green flag running in a 4 hour window is the rule.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 19:42 (Ref:4002679)   #202
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but life behind the paywall and/or on more specialty sports channels means the need to satisfy the TV window is less important right?

anyways, people used to be upset, and rightly so, when their local broadcaster left a race before it finished...now someone is upset because they actually finished a race and televised the whole thing!

Old 15 Sep 2020, 20:54 (Ref:4002683)   #203
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
2 hours of green flag running in a 4 hour window is the rule.
Stop with your actual facts about the actual rules. It's much more fun to hurl insults based on inadequate understanding.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 20:58 (Ref:4002684)   #204
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In which case:

Worst race ever! Should've been cancelled earlier and Bottas DQ'd for driving slowly and RP disqualified for using spray paint on a Mercedes and Lewis isn't any good it's just the car and we should all cancel our subscriptions because these are the worst sessions I've ever seen in any motor racing history in the world of my LIFE.

PS. Lewis sucks because he won again.

Did I miss anything?
Old 15 Sep 2020, 21:16 (Ref:4002694)   #205
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well not sure you covered everything, but although the last two races were different, they were better than most of the other races so far IMHO
Old 15 Sep 2020, 23:01 (Ref:4002709)   #206
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think we should appreciate we had quite an action packed couple of races. Monza is always a great spectacle anyway and the mix up of the order was quite a nice change. Mugello has given us plenty to talk about after that one. Of course it's hard to stay focused with Merc dominating, but there is plenty happening to keep us interested, if you know where to look, even if the race for the win isn't there
Old 15 Sep 2020, 23:08 (Ref:4002711)   #207
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
similarly to what you suggested earlier in the thread, radio 5/the bbc website were determined that it was russell who went first. which really just shows how hard it is to place blame, and they were ultimately correct to read half the field the riot act rather than specifically have a go at one or two drivers. going at that particular point was probably a lot closer to a non-baku restart, so it's not that far fetched. unfortunately the further back you get in the field, the faster they're going to turn up at the scene of the accident assuming everyone else is leaving a similar gap between cars.

the same thing happens in a road accident on a busy road - one person has to react at the last minute because they weren't paying attention or were unsighted, which cascades backwards getting closer and closer to the point where somebody can't react in time and goes into the back of someone else. then all hell breaks loose until there's a big enough gap to break the chain.

but it goes without saying that they shouldn't need specific rules for restarts. they're all grown ups, not 12 year olds in karts.
This is the footage you are talking about I think Bella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q28Rnfmnlak

George Russell is the culprit, he leaves a big gap, accelerates, and then brakes and swerves sideways (PDVA's point) to avoid the cars he is going to rear end, which leaves those behind him who have reacted to him going no where to go, chaos ensues.

At the end of the day, this has to be better policed in the rules because it is the only place you may make up 5 places in 500 meters, and everyone will always try.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 11:15 (Ref:4002763)   #208
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This is the footage you are talking about I think Bella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q28Rnfmnlak

George Russell is the culprit, he leaves a big gap, accelerates, and then brakes and swerves sideways (PDVA's point) to avoid the cars he is going to rear end, which leaves those behind him who have reacted to him going no where to go, chaos ensues.

At the end of the day, this has to be better policed in the rules because it is the only place you may make up 5 places in 500 meters, and everyone will always try.
Brilliant video.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 12:40 (Ref:4002770)   #209
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Brilliant video.
The onboard shots are really scary.
Old 18 Sep 2020, 03:39 (Ref:4003347)   #210
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And here was me thinking only Renault were a s*** show.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...-out-of-system

Snip:Before he alighted from his beached car he said: "This is what you get with this f**king **** show," in an apparent reference to the ongoing engine problems.
Old 18 Sep 2020, 05:43 (Ref:4003357)   #211
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
And here was me thinking only Renault were a s*** show.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...-out-of-system

Snip:Before he alighted from his beached car he said: "This is what you get with this f**king **** show," in an apparent reference to the ongoing engine problems.
Somebody better point out to young Max just how Freddie Allen's comments improved his F1 career.

Time that RBR included a monitoring person, a delay loop and a beep function in their radio comms.
Old 18 Sep 2020, 10:16 (Ref:4003455)   #212
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Here we go gain, a driver says something in the heat of the moment, where the world is watching and putting people under scrutiny
Old 18 Sep 2020, 10:18 (Ref:4003456)   #213
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Here we go gain, a driver says something in the heat of the moment, where the world is watching and putting people under scrutiny
Welcome to the 21st Century Griff!
Old 18 Sep 2020, 13:34 (Ref:4003517)   #214
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
When he said it about Renault everyone wanted to agree with him. He says it about Honda and you want to brush it.

I couldn't less just find the different attitudes interesting.
Old 18 Sep 2020, 14:39 (Ref:4003534)   #215
S griffin
Veteran

To be fair this is the first time we’ve heard them say anything bad about the engine
Old 18 Sep 2020, 14:59 (Ref:4003537)   #216
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
To be fair this is the first time we’ve heard them say anything bad about the engine
It's been alluded to for a while now....

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/r...m-explanation/

9 Jul - "We still have to determine that together with Honda," Dr Helmut Marko told Kronen Zeitung.

"The engine parts have gone to Japan where they will be examined. We have to wait for that analysis before we can conclude anything."

Marko said it was a "catastrophic weekend" for the energy drink owned team, as Alexander Albon's car also failed.

“The first race of the season ended with three of our cars retiring, which is disappointing. [...]” said Honda F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe.
[...]

“Albon was very unlucky to lose second place in the last few laps, but he was still fighting for points until he also had to retire, due to a suspected PU electrical issue.

“At the moment, we are investigating the causes of the two failures."
Old 18 Sep 2020, 23:39 (Ref:4003698)   #217
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Once again, the horseshoe in Hamilton's ass shows itself... then he shows his ass on the podium...

He was beat in turn one, not just by bottas, but by verstappen. But, horseshoe time! Verstappen immediately has a failure as soon as he gets ahead of hamilton. Then the red flag after the amateurish restart (through no fault of bottas', obviously). So even when he does what he needs to do (twice) to beat hamilton, the luck falls for Hamilton.

Then, the pace car picks up bottas, allowing hamilton his free stop without losing ground. Yay....

And of course bottas' tires wore quicker than Hamilton's after the first red flag. The following car always does compared to the leader.

He asked to go opposite to hamilton, which to me didn't come across as defeatist, but as someone trying to strategize. Then the call comes for him to box first for "safety reasons". Lol. Like he couldn't have stayed out one lap longer so hamilton could get on his tire to give bottas the alternate. C'mon... that was engineered to give preferential treatment to hamilton. Not that there's anything wrong with giving preferential treatment to the number one driver, but dont pretend bottas is getting equal treatment.

Then, a brit, decided to interject himself on a foreign country's legal/political issues. As if he has any idea of what he is speaking out about. He'd have more credibility if he was taking a stance on something in his own country.

And why was russell unlucky not to podium? He consistently loses places in the race. He's nice on saturday, not there yet on sunday. Car has a lot to do with it, but it's not just occasionally he's losing spots, its every week.

Albon wasn't all that impressive. Made some really cool moves, but he was never a threat to the mercedes, as verstappen looked like he may have been. He kept having to make up lost places just to get to the third place that should have been an afterthought after verstappen dropped out. But still, a good result for him.

Holy crap what a beautiful setting that track has! I want them to go back there. I also wouldn't mind mugello replacing monza. I've never been impressed with monza. Just straights and chicanes... I know that's an unpopular opinion, but oh well. The scenery outside of the track was amazing. As was the elevation changes and the gravel traps and grass enforcing track limits.

And I'm with those that say dont change anything about restarts. Make the supposed best drivers in the world (I dont think that's the case, tbh) figure out what amateurs in other series have figured out.
Old 19 Sep 2020, 01:52 (Ref:4003711)   #218
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 19 Sep 2020, 13:29 (Ref:4003908)   #219
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
[Snipped]
lolno.
Old 19 Sep 2020, 18:49 (Ref:4004202)   #220
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Funny, isn't it, that the more Hamilton goes to race weekends and does FP1/FP2/FP3/Qualifying/The Race, the more seat time he gets, and the luckier he becomes?

[apologies to Gary Player there]
Old 19 Sep 2020, 20:15 (Ref:4004312)   #221
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Funny, isn't it, that the more Hamilton goes to race weekends and does FP1/FP2/FP3/Qualifying/The Race, the more seat time he gets, and the luckier he becomes?

[apologies to Gary Player there]
So you've made this point anyway times, and I've acknowledged that his talent and preparation help create more good luck.

But how exactly does his talent or preparation ir whatever create the safety car not picking up the leader? Or help create the red flag after the restart when he was in second? Or cause bottas' tire to fail at Silverstone closer to pit lane exit and cause him to have to limp around further? Or cause verstappens car to fail after he had just begun overtaking hamilton? There's so many examples of this stuff. It's ok, he can he the best driver and also be very lucky. It would just be nice if all that luck wasn't used as reason to deify him.
Old 20 Sep 2020, 09:05 (Ref:4004750)   #222
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ha! I don't do deities, my friend.

What I do do, though, is watch motorsport through a long, long lens with a wide field of view. I try hard to not focus down onto a single driver, or team, or issue, and I sure as hell try not to get annoyed by drivers, teams, officials etc.

I also don't do conspiracies. F1 is intriguing enough without resorting to thinking everything is done in an underhand way. Unless it's Ferrari, obviously.
Old 20 Sep 2020, 16:15 (Ref:4005104)   #223
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
So you've made this point anyway times, and I've acknowledged that his talent and preparation help create more good luck.

But how exactly does his talent or preparation ir whatever create the safety car not picking up the leader? Or help create the red flag after the restart when he was in second? Or cause bottas' tire to fail at Silverstone closer to pit lane exit and cause him to have to limp around further? Or cause verstappens car to fail after he had just begun overtaking hamilton? There's so many examples of this stuff. It's ok, he can he the best driver and also be very lucky. It would just be nice if all that luck wasn't used as reason to deify him.
Talent and preparation doesn’t help create luck, it puts you in a position to win. Perpetration and talent puts you in the best position to capitalise on your opponents errors and deficiencies, it gives you the opportunity to control races from the front, and forces your opponents to overdrive their cars to keep up. It’s no secret that Hamilton is better on his tyres than Bottas, and being out front only magnifies that by putting Bottas in dirty air.....

Makes me laugh how you just concentrate on how ‘lucky’ Hamilton is, let’s take Max, how lucky was he at Silverstone in both races to capitalise on Mercedes tyre woes, how lucky was gasly at Monza, how lucky was Rosberg to capitalise on Hamilton’s unreliability......I could go on, there are dozens of examples every year. Fact is, in all those examples it was talent and preparation that put them in the position to capitalise on others misfortune.

Thats racing.....

I enjoyed your little rant though, I needed some salt with my chips.
Old 21 Sep 2020, 13:04 (Ref:4005349)   #224
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Bottas has had plenty of chances to beat Hamilton. He might have been unlucky with the way this one went, but at the end of the day he got overtaken and beaten again by the guy some love to hate. Bottas2.0 lasted for about 2 races a couple of seasons ago, but since then his teammate has got his measure. The difference in qualy between the two is often minimal, but not always in the races. Has the guy some love to hate been lucky 90 times, or actually is he quite a decent driver?

What do I know - maybe I am biased because I am a black man from Stevenage - or maybe I am a white man who has never been to Stevenage, but have Steve as part of my name, therefore I perhaps subconsciously take a little credit for each of his wins. Or maybe I hate Bottas because he is from Finland and my Nokia broke, or I was bad at worms. Or I had worms once. Yes, that must be it. Or is it? Now, where was I.

- edits to add a smiley - just in case anyone takes me too seriously.
Old 21 Sep 2020, 13:11 (Ref:4005352)   #225
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:

And why was russell unlucky not to podium? He consistently loses places in the race. He's nice on saturday, not there yet on sunday. Car has a lot to do with it, but it's not just occasionally he's losing spots, its every week.

Wow. Russell should have got the Williams onto the Podium?