Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Jun 2003, 15:00 (Ref:628379)   #26
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or a true sportscar. Okay the M3 isnt a true sportscar but whats stopping them building a GT car? GT cars are the future anyway I think. Just look at how the FIA GT is evolving. BMW would be smart to join the other factory squads that should be signing up for 2004 in the FIA GT series.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 15:03 (Ref:628381)   #27
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
its not likely that only BMW would race a touring class .. but still .. they can make an agreement with the ACo running a touring 24h race . at LeMans ... but not in June ..

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Jun 2003, 15:06 (Ref:628387)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
GT cars are the future anyway I think.

In all seriousness, Saleen, I really, really hope not. After 18 years at Le Mans (including this year, God willing), I'd have to seriously think about hanging my Le Mans cap up the day that the 24 Hours is handed over to GTs.

Different strokes matey. Your main interest is GTs, mine is prototypes. At the moment we have a mix of the two, which should satisfy us both, I guess.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 15:32 (Ref:628413)   #29
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hammerwerfer
Besides LeMonstre, which had the "special" coachwork, the was a more or less stock Caddy entered.
Briggs Cunningham entered both cars, and the stock Cadillac finished 10th overall. The drivers wore suits and ties as a joke.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 11 Jun 2003, 15:34 (Ref:628415)   #30
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, but Im just wondering when the 2004 regs come back into play how much faster GTS cars will be than they are now, especially if big budget manufacturers join, I dont think they would be quite GT1 standard but running in the 3:45's I dont think would be out of the question.

I also think Prodrive could spring a suprise this weekend, the restricotrs have affected the LMP cars much more than the GTS and GT cars, and therefore GTS machines have closed the gap to them, they were faster than all the LMP 675 machines barring the DBA in testing after all. And Gavin has said that he thinks that Prodrive still have some performance in hand.

Still only time will tell I guess, I for one woudnt be suprised to see them better what Oreca did in 2000, that is finish in the top 8..
Old 11 Jun 2003, 18:15 (Ref:628576)   #31
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Why do we need a touring class?

Why should the ACO create a class just for BMW?

I fail to understand the interest in this. If BMW want to play, let them build another great car like the LMR.
Maybe BMW will be back soon with a V10 engined car (not an LMP BTW)
Old 11 Jun 2003, 18:50 (Ref:628633)   #32
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
I agree, but Im just wondering when the 2004 regs come back into play how much faster GTS cars will be than they are now, especially if big budget manufacturers join, I dont think they would be quite GT1 standard but running in the 3:45's I dont think would be out of the question.

I also think Prodrive could spring a suprise this weekend, the restricotrs have affected the LMP cars much more than the GTS and GT cars, and therefore GTS machines have closed the gap to them, they were faster than all the LMP 675 machines barring the DBA in testing after all. And Gavin has said that he thinks that Prodrive still have some performance in hand.

Still only time will tell I guess, I for one woudnt be suprised to see them better what Oreca did in 2000, that is finish in the top 8..
You need to relise however that the 2004 regs are the same as 2003 for GTS, but we will see more advanced chassis eventually. Its FIA GT that are a year behind ACO regs in allowing carbon chassis. I think with 10% more power in 2004 a GTS could just about get under 3.50 but an quicker would be a stretch. The best LMPs will be around 3.30 and maybe even quicker. Stil a big gap. But I do really enjoy GTS as well. The more LMP and GTS cars the better.

Last edited by JAG; 11 Jun 2003 at 18:53.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 20:37 (Ref:628816)   #33
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is why--I think

Quote:
No, no, no, no,no - well certainly not at Le Mans.

It's not a touring car race - its a sportscar race. It doesn't need a touring car class. There are plenty enough entries each year without adding touring cars - why? Sorry, you leave me speechless......
One of the main reasons I got interested in Road Racing/Le Mans is because of the adversity of cars allowed to compete in the same race. You could have a Toyota GT-One against a Porsche 911. I'm just saying, I wouldn't think another class would hurt, even if it did include "non-sportscars".

Quote:
If BMW wants to play, let them build another great car like the LMR.
I'm not saying they shouldn't do that. But possibly having another class may give manufacturers a way to show off some of their production cars. It will also give some manufacturers a chance to be in the 24 Hours when they didn't have a chance before.

Sorry, that's just my opinion. I don't mean to enrage anyone.
No hard feelings?

P.S. IMO, the more cars, the better!

Last edited by RacerGuy2; 11 Jun 2003 at 20:42.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 12 Jun 2003, 05:57 (Ref:629120)   #34
Hammerwerfer
Rookie

Ireland
Deutschland/Éire
Hammerwerfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diversity is the word you were looking for there. I agree. It was great seeing the real GT cars out there with the prototypes And the line between GT and Touring is rather blurred in this day and age as the homologation rules seem to change or be ignored in amny series.

IMSA has never differentiated between the BMW and Porsche products, going back to the old 3.0 CSL V 911 battles. Technically a Touring v GT battle but really competing on an equal footing.

At one point, I don't seem to remember exactly where, Porsche even had the 911 homolgated or accepted as a touring car...

If BMW builds a run of cars like Porsches GT3, and the new M3 CSL seems a step in that direction, then why should they not be classified with the 911s?
Old 12 Jun 2003, 06:27 (Ref:629137)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Here is why--I think

Quote:
Originally posted by RacerGuy2

I'm not saying they shouldn't do that. But possibly having another class may give manufacturers a way to show off some of their production cars. It will also give some manufacturers a chance to be in the 24 Hours when they didn't have a chance before.

Sorry, that's just my opinion. I don't mean to enrage anyone.
No hard feelings?

P.S. IMO, the more cars, the better!

As a general statement, yes, the more manufacturers involved in racing the better - no problem. But, with respect, you're still missing the very essence of my point - Le Mans is (and always should be, IMO) a sportscar race. It isn't a manufacturer showcase nor do the ACO or anyone else connected with the race have any obligation at all to create a class for touring cars. The whole idea is completely otiose. (pardon my French....)

BTW, I'm not enraged at all, I'm happy for the debate. Keeping Le Mans for sportscars happens to touch on a nerve though......
Old 12 Jun 2003, 12:40 (Ref:629369)   #36
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Re: Here is why--I think

Quote:
But, with respect, you're still missing the very essence of my point - Le Mans is (and always should be, IMO) a sportscar race. It isn't a manufacturer showcase nor do the ACO or anyone else connected with the race have any obligation at all to create a class for touring cars.
Where does that leave the Morgan, then?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James