Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Jul 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1664324)   #26
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I well remember, the Panoz Hybrid sounded normally, as a Panoz.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1665982)   #27
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Toyota confirmed as Williams next engine supplier, someone on the F1 forum has suggested this may be a sign that the Japanese company is looking to stay partly in F1 but not in a full capacity. It seems a reaonable guess, I think, but it is not overwhelming evidence.

Toyota have three different alternative power concepts under constant development. Not three different variations of the same concept, but three different concepts. These are aimed at the road and not race market, because that is where they will sell their cars.

One way to promote the technology would be through racing. F1 does not promote new technology, and so other options would need to be looked at in order to do this for Toyota's benefit. Truck racing in the USA is unlikely, and rallying too, SuperGT is possible but it would not target the American and European markets.

Sportscar racing is then in the box seat, particularly with it's aim to standardize global Sportscar racing.

So the question becomes when, and not if, it will happen.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1666175)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is still a lot of ifs there I feel. There is certainly potential, but it is far from certain. Why not touring cars? Except when asked they said Le Mans is unfinished business. Although perhaps they would have said favourable things if asked about WTCC. WTCC is already standardised globally.

I feel the Williams deal is more about some good work behind the scenes to get Williams a decent engine and also a chance for Toyota (at relatively) little extra expense getting twice the chance to succeed in F1.

Having said all that I can see the possibility, but I don't see it was "when", it is still "if".
Old 27 Jul 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1666191)   #29
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I found this and thought I would share:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

"And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive® (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0-60 acceleration in a mere four seconds."

Impressive numbers. It's a looker to. The mileage works out to 31.75 miles per gallon. Not bad for a car that has a 0-60 time of 4 seconds.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1666194)   #30
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
indeed, more a Spanish Scalextric (SCX) with magnet aplenty than a normal Uk one!
Old 27 Jul 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1666205)   #31
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss
Take the Aston Martin for instance. It sounds great but it isn't loud. At least not compared to a pack of 911 GTRs.

If you guys really like loud noises then you should definitely check out a NHRA weekend if you haven't already. I used to like loud cars too back when I started going to these. The loudness was cool for about five seconds. After that it's just a matter of damage control.
If the Aston Martin is your example of quiet, then you really do have no idea how quiet the R10 is!
Old 27 Jul 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1666243)   #32
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
One of my favourites for noise was the Oldsmobile V8 in the Doyle Racing R&S Mk.3 . That sounded brilliant , and the Elan V8 , and the 7.3 Jag V12 , especially number 34 (TWR XJR-12) in 1991 when it had a broken manifold .

I love noise !!!

The Aston Martin aint noisey , more a buzzing sound .
Old 28 Jul 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1666764)   #33
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just using the Aston as an example of a car that sounds great but honestly I do not find it's noise to be anything close to painful. Actually. Not many sports racers come close to painful (I've been to enough NASCAR and NHRA events to last me)...except for a pack 911 GT3s. Those things suck. I like Porsches, but it is shame that they sound so bad. The road cars too. Anyway...I'm just excited to see this new technololgy. These are things that are going to effect racing...noise and polution and it is nice to know that a car can be very fast, quiet and green. That excites me. Loud racegas burning engines, while still very cool, are just old hat to me. I can build a loud ass small block chevy that gets single digit mpg, and puts out enough CO2 to kill me in my garage with next to no effort. It's not hard. I want to see the technology get pushed and the future of motorsport unfold in the next few years. I find that more exciting than bleeding ears. That's all I have to say on the subject. Now back to the possibility of Toyota hybrid proto. I'd love to see it.