Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Dec 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1474840)   #1
Alistair_Ryder
Rookie

Alistair_Ryder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO regulations for 2006 released

www.lemans.org for more information

Looks like its got 'user friendly' for next year, the drivers get air conditioning and the spectators get quieter cars (for 2007).
Old 1 Dec 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1474852)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also see that Shell will become the official control fuel supplier of the Le Mans 24 Hours from next season.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1474944)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re...4hauto_gb.html

To compensate for the weight of the air conditioning system in the closed cars, ALL cars will run 25kg heavier next year, so LMP1 is now 925kg.

All cars will get slightly bigger restrcitors to compensate for the extra weight.

Cars will have to comply with 113db or less in 2007. I believe they run to this level at Portland, the turbo LMPs are much quieter than 110db, so that gives you some gauge at how loud the cars will be.

BTW, how many LMP1/LMP900s were actually down to 900Kgs?
Old 2 Dec 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1475269)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I have to say, the air conditioning 'rule' came out of left field, didn't it? Are they going to bring back spare tires and FIA suitcases next?

robert
Old 2 Dec 2005, 01:24 (Ref:1475280)   #5
MaxGT40
Rookie

United States
Rochester, NY U.S.A.
MaxGT40 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
...na, just enough room for a large bottle of Crown Royal feeding an IV between the shift lever and the parking brake. Said "Whiskey" must not exceed 39 degrees Fahrenheit. All competitors must use standard readily available whiskey located in the Crown Royal "Funnel Zone" Special Rerserve (TM) tent.

*This amendment will be in place for ten years pending litigation.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 01:42 (Ref:1475287)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
I have to say, the air conditioning 'rule' came out of left field, didn't it? Are they going to bring back spare tires and FIA suitcases next?

robert
A few drivers have collapsed in recent races due to heat exhaustion.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 01:44 (Ref:1475290)   #7
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
BTW, how many LMP1/LMP900s were actually down to 900Kgs?
I would think that basically all of them would be ballasted up to 900kg, since making a car to that weight shouldn't be nearly as challenging as getting down to 675, even with a bigger engine. Someone will know better than me, though.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 01:50 (Ref:1475294)   #8
Alistair_Ryder
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I must admit it seems one of the more sensible regulations you hear of, and probably something other series might adopt in future.

And what with global warming and everything..its bound to get worse
Old 2 Dec 2005, 03:50 (Ref:1475332)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
oh, completly understand, also it is yet another technical challenge to aim for and develop, and what makes sports cars such a great proving ground, and a great test for the engineers with manufacturers before they graduate to the corner office overseeing door handle design.

I like the suitcase idea, yet another packaging challenge.

robert
Old 2 Dec 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1475412)   #10
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just been looking at the new refuelling regs for diesel as opposed to petrol. It seems the flow restrictor allowed on the diesel rig has a maximum inside diameter of 38mm whereas the petrol (gasoline) flow restrictor has a narrower inside diameter of 33mm.

This implys (to people like me who have little or no technical understanding) that not only will the diesel powered P1's refuel less often, but when they do refuel, will be able to do so more quickly which will further disadvantage their petrol powered adversaries!

Why the discrepancy? Am I right to assume that diesel is a more viscous liquid with a slower flow rate, the larger diameter flow restrictor simply compensating for its different properties?
Old 2 Dec 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1475433)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
I would think that basically all of them would be ballasted up to 900kg, since making a car to that weight shouldn't be nearly as challenging as getting down to 675, even with a bigger engine. Someone will know better than me, though.
Looking at Mikes sight, few LMP900/GTPs were down to the minimum weight. The A/C unit in the Peugeot WRC weighs aroung 10kg, and uses 5-10bhp.

2003 Bentley 916kg

1999 Mercedes CLR 921kg

2003 Audi 919kg

2002 Caddy 916kg

1999 Panoz 908kg

2002/3 Panoz 933kg

2000 Reynard 940kg

2003 Pescarolo 927kg

2004 Pescarolo 914kg

2003 Panoz LMP07 940kg

2002 Riley Mk III 931kg
Old 2 Dec 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1475785)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Just been looking at the new refuelling regs for diesel as opposed to petrol. It seems the flow restrictor allowed on the diesel rig has a maximum inside diameter of 38mm whereas the petrol (gasoline) flow restrictor has a narrower inside diameter of 33mm.

This implys (to people like me who have little or no technical understanding) that not only will the diesel powered P1's refuel less often, but when they do refuel, will be able to do so more quickly which will further disadvantage their petrol powered adversaries!

Why the discrepancy? Am I right to assume that diesel is a more viscous liquid with a slower flow rate, the larger diameter flow restrictor simply compensating for its different properties?
ACO wants that the winning car is a factory car (Audi or Peugeot)...
Old 2 Dec 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1475790)   #13
Alistair_Ryder
Rookie

One question from me, are we still looking at the prototypes being quicker at le mans and in lmes than the last couple of years taking into consideration the weight increase, and the power loss from the A/C. I know there is a slight increase in power, but will that really offset these increases?
Old 2 Dec 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1475804)   #14
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair_Ryder
One question from me, are we still looking at the prototypes being quicker at le mans and in lmes than the last couple of years taking into consideration the weight increase, and the power loss from the A/C. I know there is a slight increase in power, but will that really offset these increases?
LMP1 car look to be slower in 2006 than they were in 2005 (if any would have been built ), as it will weigh 25 kg more. The bigger restrictor is only allowed if the car has AC (to compensate the power loss of the compressor being connected to the engine).
Old 2 Dec 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1475827)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
I would think the 2006 LMP1s will be significantly quicker than the 2005 hybrid cars.

As has been shown most cars were over 900kg to start with, and the A/C is only used on closed cars.

We have seen how much quicker the P2 Lola and Porsche have been compared to the Hybrid P2 Courage, so I would expect a similar jump in performance for full P1s over the 2005 hybrid cars.

Factor in the increased development factory P1s will have over the likes of the Hybrid Pescarolo, and I would think they will be 2+ seconds a lap quicker at Le Mans.

Consider a 5 year old 950kg, 560bhp+ Audi R8 has been a contender for most of the LMES season, now image what a state of the art 925kg, 650bhp+ R10 will be capable of.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1475834)   #16
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The TVR was 200 deg inside during Le Mans this year... it's was pretty warm even in Istanbul in the rain! Seems like a sensible rule but a lot can be done by buying good breathable suits (the stretchy nomex) and refridgerating balaclavas... would've thought that was a better way of helping the drivers out without adding weight to the cars... look at the difference between Corvette and Aston at Le Mans: Corvette bought the good stretchy nomex suits, Aston insisted on free suits from a "suitable partner" (anyone who'd give them free kit)... the Corvette drivers were fine, the Aston boys had fire extinguishers emptied on them to try and keep them cool in the nice "shiny" suits they were wearing.
Some of the difference was down to the cars, but a huge amount is due to the kit:

Stand 21 have done some serious research on this with the French army:

http://www.stand21.fr/heatstress/heatstressc2c.htm

it's worth a read to understand why guys are fainting in cockpits and why most of the teams in the know at Le Mans race who are buying their kit rather than being given it are in the Stand 21 stretchy suits!

Cheers Rick

Yes I do wear their kit! And yes it's saved me a couple of times. But i'm not sponsored by them. The last guy who got free kit from them was Senna! If you're better than Senna than you might be eligible for a free set of gloves... but then I guess Rolex don't give away many watches either... unless u win Daytona!
Old 4 Dec 2005, 00:24 (Ref:1476541)   #17
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want quieter cars, ear plugs only cost £1. Part of the attraction is the great sound these cars create as they zoom past. Seems a pretty Wimpy regulation to me.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 00:50 (Ref:1476547)   #18
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just how loud is 113Db anyway?
Old 4 Dec 2005, 01:13 (Ref:1476557)   #19
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
I don't want quieter cars, ear plugs only cost £1. Part of the attraction is the great sound these cars create as they zoom past. Seems a pretty Wimpy regulation to me.
I think in most cases you wont notice a difference. Don't worry, they'll still make plenty of noise!
Old 4 Dec 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1476561)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
Just how loud is 113Db anyway?
A turbo LMP1 is much less than 110.

GT3-RSR is around 113, and they're loud.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 02:28 (Ref:1476579)   #21
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't a simple weight solution just to take the windshields off the cars?
Old 4 Dec 2005, 04:38 (Ref:1476597)   #22
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroehl
Isn't a simple weight solution just to take the windshields off the cars?
Not sure I follow. Are you advocating taking the windshield out of a closed top car turning it into a huge parachute?
Old 4 Dec 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1476674)   #23
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
A turbo LMP1 is much less than 110.
GT3-RSR is around 113, and they're loud.
I'm certain that the noise is often above 113dB in the pits straight line because of the resonance between the pits building and the grandstand.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1476703)   #24
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
I'm certain that the noise is often above 113dB in the pits straight line because of the resonance between the pits building and the grandstand.
I'd agree with you on that. The other stretch of the circuit which I've always found to be exceptionally noisy is next to the fence on the infield side of the approach to Tertre Rouge after the esses. We often retreat to the shade of the trees there if the sun/temperature gets a bit too much out in the open. The noise rebounds off the concrete wall on the outside of the track and gets very punishing on the eardrums after a while!!
Old 4 Dec 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1476786)   #25
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Creating a temperare difference of 30/40 degrees with an outside temperature of 25 to 35 degrees? Cooling it down from 60/70 to 30 degrees in car that continues to develop heating through the "shield" between the engine and the cockpit, pedals, exhaust beneath the floor...........

That must be real technical challenge to develop. Almost impossible

What happens with a car when the airco breaks down? Black flag? Cause it's illegal to the new rules? If not........create a "malfunction" on the airco for the last two hours of the race. Saves a lot a fuel.........you could skip that last splash and dash

How are they going to control the temperatures? What about the condensed water on the windows of the car?