Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1019392)   #1
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photography hints/tips, etc

I'm a photography newbie - got an Eos 1000F for christmas and I want to play with it over the summer...

Firstly could anyone direct me to a good book/website I could use to explain to me all those fancy words so I can use the dial on my camera on anything other than the wee green box?!

Secondly, there are lots of sage photographers on here, and I was thinking perhaps you would all care to pass on your wisdom accrued over the years...?

I've not had a chance to take any motorsport-related pics yet, but this is my favourite so far, taken in Paris at New Year...
Attached Thumbnails
parischristmastree.jpg  
Old 29 Jun 2004, 16:44 (Ref:1020309)   #2
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Logrence, funny enough the best place to start is generally the Canon user manual - the ones I've had have usually had a pretty good description of the terminology that's used as well as the options that are available on the camera.

Generally I shoot in one of three modes:
1.TV=shutter priority Which means that you control the time that the shutter is open and exposing the film/chip and let the camera figure out the rest. So for fast subjects you might want a high shutter speed.
2. AV=Apeture Priority. Which means that you control the size of the iris in the lens which in turn controls the depth of field (the amount of the shot in focus). And leave the shutter speed to the camera.
3. Manual - set both Apeture and Shutter yourself to over-ride the camera.

The best advice I think is to experiment when ever you can (and can afford) and don't be afraid to try things out and see what happens.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask - I'm sure you'll get answers.

Last edited by neil_davidson2; 29 Jun 2004 at 16:45.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1020604)   #3
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pan, Pan, Pan. Make sure when the car comes into view that you follow it with the camera and then take the photo and when you have then keep tracking it until its out of view.

Avoid shooting through fences if possible.

Alex
Old 29 Jun 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1020823)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I don't have a Canon user manual

But I've found some stuff on the internet to look at.

Is it worth going on a photography course and learning how to do it properly or do I just do my own thing?
Old 29 Jun 2004, 23:03 (Ref:1020836)   #5
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/

Manuals for your, or most other, cameras.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 08:25 (Ref:1021094)   #6
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
I don't have a Canon user manual
Is it worth going on a photography course and learning how to do it properly or do I just do my own thing?
That's shame about the manual, but it's definitely worth tracking one down if you can.

To answer your second question - it depends on how you like to learn things. I'm absolutely hopeless at classroom learning and prefer to experiment myself (as the results often show ) but if you're really starting from scratch then it might be your best option.

Last edited by neil_davidson2; 30 Jun 2004 at 08:26.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1034562)   #7
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it depends on what you want from photography.... your favourite subjects, people, places, abstract... the list goes on..?

The best way is too make a note of what you are trying to achieve and the details .. aperture, speed, lens etc and after looking at each shot how many improvements can be made. Don't be affraid to crop your print.... ther is not hard and fast rule to the size of proportion Read up on the basic rules for composition, look at the work of painters and photographers...... and most of all your can't beat experience take lots of photos and keep looking.
postr on some of the photo critique sites but beware they can be merciless.

Classroom or practice..... depends on the individual.. anything from basic photo to the local Art college.. or just get out and experiment...
Old 13 Jul 2004, 09:15 (Ref:1035077)   #8
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most useful thing i found was a second hand copy (there are newer versions) of Michael Langford's '35mm Handbook'. Thoroughly excellent as an introduction to the terminology and concepts. It'll also give you a little inspiration.

Aside from that, constantly look beyond the obvious - look for unusual perspectives and lines that lead the eye into the photograph, shoot from low down or high up... Play around and enjoy yourself!

Just to refer to what Jaxs said, you'll often find that some of the most dynamic, original looking shots are the ones that fit with the basic rules (the rule of thirds for example).
Old 13 Jul 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1035096)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Be careful when looking for college courses as they may be geared to learning the technical side (developing and printing etc.) rather than the composition/art side of things.
You may be better joining a photography club where you will find lots of experts rather than the one you will get at a college.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1046768)   #10
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I just seem to go for what I think looks right, or looks a bit different - if I'm looking at something I want to try and pick out something peculiar to that area...

I just really want to learn the basics of photography - I don't care about great photographers or all the technical side, I'd just like to know what I can do with my camera.

I'll look out that book, gi_gav - sounds good.

I've sent off some more films to get done, I post a couple on here and they can get mercilessly critiqued.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1046842)   #11
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All sounds like you're on the right track then!

Quote:
I don't care about great photographers or all the technical side, I'd just like to know what I can do with my camera.
I suspect that once you know what you can do with your camera you'll start to appreciate the technical bits and the great photographers.

I only say this because from a similar start, now I am fascinated by how to improve beyond an understanding of the camera. Also, you can look at great work and think:

how did they do that?

how can i do that? or

how can i do that better than them...?

Last edited by gi_gav; 25 Jul 2004 at 17:06.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1048872)   #12
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good general books I read were:

National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
by P. & Caputo, B. Burian (Author)

and

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
by Bryan Peterson (Author)