Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jan 2004, 04:01 (Ref:827093)   #26
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1_smiley
perhaps some of you would agree that to be able to win the WDC (or several) doesn't ensure "greatness" in this sport... there are a lot more factors to it than just that... take for example Gilles Villenueve and Stirling Moss....

so, perhaps before discussing who's going to be the next great f1 driver, what does (in your book) it take to be called a "GREAT"? (or am i going OT on this...)

would it entail "sportsmanship" coupled with "supreme drving abilities" and "supreme technical know-how" coupled with "luck" and "showmanship"...... what gives?
I know where you're coming from but IMO to be classified as a "great" you have got to have won a title(s). In any sport, you make your own luck. You could maybe win a title just by having the fastest car (J.Villeneuve, maybe?) but you sure dont win 3 or 4 or more without being a supreme driver.
Can I sum up by quoting Keke Rosberg: "I thought I was the fastest driver in the world until I went to McLaren in 1986 with Alain Prost". Methinks Nigel might have the same thought after teaming with AP at Ferrari.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 13:52 (Ref:827367)   #27
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6
You gotta be kidding, surely...Klien couldnt get near Ryan Briscoe in Europe and now he's gonna get near Webber???? He'll go the way of all other Webber team-mates - back to obscurity.
Ummmm.... he completely and utterly dominated a few races in the season - and that means he beat Briscoe.

I'm a bigger Briscoe fan than I am of Klien (Briscoe dominated the championship, whereas Klien only stood out in select races), but Briscoe hasn't managed to get himself into an F1 race seat for this year, so I've gone with the next best option.

A word of advice - don't underestimate the enemy. Just because Webber has beaten off a couple of team-mates, doesn't gaurantee that the run will continue. Everyone (especially the press) is laughing at Jaguar's appointment of Klien, because they all think it's just for the red bull money. I'd like to see him prove his critics wrong.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 15:12 (Ref:827402)   #28
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Zuschauer
Ummmm.... he completely and utterly dominated a few races in the season - and that means he beat Briscoe.

Ummm...he got dominated a heck of a lot more than he dominated himself, methinks.
One would think that Justin Wilson and Pizzonia had a far better CV than Klien and we know how they fared against Webber. But, hey, stick with him ... if you are a betting man you will sure get big odds.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 15:54 (Ref:827418)   #29
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didn't clark say the WDC says nothing about the driver as luck has so much to do with it?
heh.
I think easy TGF is just superb- as said he dissappears as soon as he gets in front and drives away, while JPM and KIMI pull courageuos moves, TGF needn't do that because many times he causes an opening with his houding of drivers in front, or slips by in a good spot.
but the next great F1 driver, is probably pirenzo-have you seen his GPL lap times?