Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Nov 2005, 05:01 (Ref:1451815)   #101
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think that this subject is been taken completely out of context...If someone did fall of the fencing and on to the track or the fencing were to collapse the fall would injure them very badly, and if they were hit by a race car it would be all over.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1451901)   #102
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I think that this subject is been taken completely out of context...If someone did fall of the fencing and on to the track or the fencing were to collapse the fall would injure them very badly, and if they were hit by a race car it would be all over.
And if the sun stopped shinning we would all be dead. It's called life. It's full of risk and that is how i for one like it.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1452018)   #103
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
I think it is a sensible idea. I also expect to see those bright yellow "slippery floor" signs placed on the podium when the drivers spray champagne.
Yes, and they could have two cleaners frantically mopping up any champagne on cue.......whilst rushing around with strategically placed buckets to prevent puddles forming.

Also, expect the podium to be lowered to track level, to prevent high falls, and become completely enclosed, in case an impromptu rain shower makes conditions tricky.

The entire podium entourage must also wear goggles to prevent champagne entering the eyes. God that stings.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 04:30 (Ref:1453839)   #104
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about the brollie girls? They could catch hypothermia. AND DIE!

But, in all seriousness, the MotoGP guys make do with leaning out the gaps of the fence with the pit board and gesturing wildy during and after a race.

Then again, I can't see Jean Todt jumping up and down and hugging his team while staring at the moniters, ala LCR
Old 7 Nov 2005, 04:44 (Ref:1453845)   #105
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They are all mad. We should just be issued with a disclaimer at birth, saying 'life is dangerous, do it at your own risk'. Then there is no need for any more nanny requirements and signs on everything warning you of hot coffee, mind the gap, motorsport is dangerous blah blah blah. If these guys had been in charge since the 1600's, there would be no such thing as America, Australia, space travel, planes, cars etc etc. Sick of them all.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 05:26 (Ref:1453860)   #106
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
And if the sun stopped shinning we would all be dead. It's called life. It's full of risk and that is how i for one like it.
Do you wear a helmet when riding your bike?
Old 7 Nov 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1453931)   #107
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he does wear a helmet or not, that's his choice. Like it has always been the choice of the guys leaning over the pit wall celebrating. I don't believe there have been many reports of pit crew being forced an gun point to "risk their lives" by going over to cheer their man home, so let's let them be adults and let them take their own risks.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1453950)   #108
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Do you wear a helmet when riding your bike?
Helmets are an intersting question. When driving a racing car or riding my motor bike in the UK, yes i do wear a helmet. I never wear a helmet when riding my mountain bike or when Skiing. I would and do occasionally ride a motor bike without a helmet where it is permissible. It is down to the remoteness and degree of risk. Any accident in a racing car would probably kill you if you were not wearing a helmet and if you are racing you are likely to have accidents. The same is generally true for riding a motor bike, except you are less likely to have an accident than in a racing car, however where it is possible the pleasure of riding without a helmet outweighs the risk. The chances of serious injury riding a mountain bike (unless you were competing) or skiing are so low that i would never consider wearing a helmet and if i do get hurt, it was my choice. Health and Safety is now a multi million pound industry and these idiots are looking for any area of life where there might be even the most remote amount of risk to introduce legislation. We used to have another term for Health and Safety years ago, it was common sense. I understand that in France (according to Jeremy Clarkson) they do not have any Health and Safety legislation !!. Of course most of this rubbish comes from the concern over being sued, which is another story. However generally i find most people these days are scared of their own shadows and are very risk averse. Well they don't know what they are misssing. Without risk, life is boring.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 01:31 (Ref:1455883)   #109
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I think that you are wise to wear a helmet when riding your bike and I would think it is mandatory to wear a helmet while driving a race car? as one would indeed be killed if involved in an accident at speed. I do not agree with your point about being less likely to have an accident while riding a motor bike than operating a race car, I think you stand far more chance of being involved in accident on public roads than you would operating a race car on a track with like minded individuals who are well aware of the risk they have to take in order to compete.

I take your point about the Health and Safety issues and that people should, and still need to practice common sense and be responsible for their actions, of course the only problem with this concept is that some people just thrive on practicing stupidity, and there lays one of the problems. Of course life is full of risk, crossing the street, taking a plane flight,drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, the list goes on and on.

The banning of pit crews been able to climb the catch fences and congratulate their winning driver is of course a shame, will it save lives? I have no idea, but I am sure that if a fence did collapse, and there where bad injuries we would see lawsuits up the wazoooooo..
Old 9 Nov 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1456079)   #110
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
It is of course mandatory to wear a helmet when you are racing. The difference between riding a bike on the road and driving a racing car is that you go out on your bike looking to avoid an accident at all cost. You go out in a racing car knowing that an accident is a common consequence of what you are doing . Even spinning can smash your head against the side of the cockpit. Touching this great piece of wood here, i say i have never come off a motor bike but have had a number of incidents in racing cars. Crashes and racing cars go together, that is why drivers are not phased even by big ones where as road drivers often go into shock after fairly minor shunts. As to pit wall fences, has one ever fallen down ?. The establishment is now keen to look for risk even when it hardly exists. We live in the safest most medically advanced period in history yet more people are terified than ever before.