Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 29 Oct 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1752680)   #1
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Birkett

Had such a giggle doing this, what an amazing event, some really good clean racing and the marshalls were superb with the blue flags, anyone know where the times can be found?
Old 29 Oct 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1752700)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by topwelshman
Had such a giggle doing this, what an amazing event, some really good clean racing and the marshalls were superb with the blue flags, anyone know where the times can be found?
I really enjoyed the event. As for times, based on previous 750MC events, they'll probably be available in the next day or two via www.750mc.co.uk
Old 29 Oct 2006, 16:01 (Ref:1752819)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
A lady that comes into my shop for photocopying was closely related to Mr Birkett, her brother in law or uncle (probably uncle but she must be in her late 60's) She has bought a few old pictures of him during his racing days for copying, all very interesting I can find more info next time she comes in if anyoneis interested.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1752911)   #4
mark77
Rookie

mark77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entered this for the first time. It was great fun, with plenty of close racing - 50 cars of different speeds it was an experience.

Al - When I was sitting in the car waiting to go out a woman my came and shook hand and said she was the 7th member of our team. I didn't have a clue what she was on about - our team were called the six birketeers. Then all came clear at prize giving her name was Virginia Birkett. I suspect its the same woman (probably show my ignorance but who was Mr Birkett ?)
Old 29 Oct 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1752923)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
He was a famous 20/30's racer I believe.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1752928)   #6
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love this meeting and its one of the few that as a marshal I say I won't miss!

Love the great mix of cars out racing and the time flies because theres always something to watch and something going on!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1753006)   #7
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
...theres always something to watch and something going on!
If it looked like that from trackside, then believe me it looked like that in spades from on the track! Was my first Birkett and from the point of view of pure fun, it was absolutely one of the best races I've ever had. To say the on track action was hectic is a complete understatement. If you've ever tried a driving video game where you can dive up the inside of two or three cars into a corner, then overtake one on the exit, then that'll give you just some idea of what it was like.

I have to say though, that the most outstanding part of the whole experience was the incredibly high standards of the event. Everything was run superbly, the officials I delt with were polite, efficient and friendly. The marshalls and flag signalling were superb. And, most of all, in my time on the track, without exception, every single other driver behaved impeccably. I did not get balked, cut up, squeezed wide or anything. This while passing something like half a dozen cars per lap and being passed once or twice at the same time. That's not to say there weren't a few botty clenching moments... but mostly that was when I'd misjudged closing speeds into a corner, or had to jump out of the way of a faster car while trying to overtake someone. Brilliant fun! Well done everyone who was involved.

Ken
Old 29 Oct 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1753039)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
How did our Celia and the Les Femmes Fatales team get on, one of them was in a Jag I think, all girls.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1753041)   #9
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
According to my sheet, Les Femme Fatales were 39th on track, 34th on handicap (of 50) and 15th in class (of 20).
Old 29 Oct 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1753062)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks Dtype that will please her.
Old 1 Nov 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1755763)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the driving standards were astonishingly good, with just one car (out of 300ish?) that I felt needed extra attention with the blues. I won't embarras him by identifying which, but a several of times he moved out of the way of one car by moving into the way of another. It's not that he was that bad, just that compared to everyone else it stood out.

I first flagged the Birkett two years ago having been persuaded to go despite my better (I thought) judgement - I really couldn't see the point. Having been to one, though, my perceptions changed and it is now virtually the first event I tick on the calendar. I had to miss last year's due to a holiday, but I very much doubt I'll miss another. Thanks all for the entertainment. I've never known 6 hours pass so fleetingly, especially the half-hours on blue which always seemed to end too soon.
Old 1 Nov 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1755765)   #12
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great day's racing not spoilt by rain, despite the forecasters best efforts!
Old 2 Nov 2006, 23:36 (Ref:1756673)   #13
Craig NOVA
Rookie

Craig NOVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark77
Entered this for the first time. It was great fun, with plenty of close racing - 50 cars of different speeds it was an experience.

Al - When I was sitting in the car waiting to go out a woman my came and shook hand and said she was the 7th member of our team. I didn't have a clue what she was on about - our team were called the six birketeers. Then all came clear at prize giving her name was Virginia Birkett. I suspect its the same woman (probably show my ignorance but who was Mr Birkett ?)
You rekon you will have another go next year then Mark
Old 2 Nov 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1756677)   #14
Craig NOVA
Rookie

Craig NOVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by topwelshman
Were you in garage 7?

If so I probably saw you - (Mark77 was in there too...)