Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Sep 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3136004)   #101
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurz did 2 flying laps, both were good enough for pole!
Old 14 Sep 2012, 17:53 (Ref:3136006)   #102
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Nice! By quite a margin as well, if they`re that much faster in the race they might even gain enough for 1-2 additional stops.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3136007)   #103
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like a good race tomorrow! - Hope i will be home from Marshaling before it starts
Old 14 Sep 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3136008)   #104
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Wurz did 2 flying laps, both were good enough for pole!
His pace was really remarkable, I wonder how aggressive Toyota will be on their fuel strategy. I guess they hope to have enough of a speed margin over the Audis to allow for more pit-stops.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3136009)   #105
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Strange that Audi could not get under 1:23 like in practice 3. Toyota must have nailed their setup. Perhaps Audi's strategy of going out early backfired a bit.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3136011)   #106
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The Ninja's on pole ................ WOOHOO

That has had made my day ................. and Aston too , Good egg !!!
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3136012)   #107
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could really see the Toyota smoking when downshifting, coasting into a corner. Did not look like low ride height/rubbing to me but not sure, seemed more like smoke from exhaust (running very rich?)
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3136013)   #108
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Did I hear Wurz interview right? When asked where they found the time from he answered - they were sandbagging!?
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3136014)   #109
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
According to the sector times Wurz gained 0.6 sec in sector 2! The Toyota hybrid system is really showing its advantage in the slow corners.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3136015)   #110
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Looked like tire smoke to me - unfortunately the live feed doesn´t provide a smell sensor or we would have known!
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:07 (Ref:3136016)   #111
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Did I hear Wurz interview right? When asked where they found the time from he answered - they were sandbagging!?
That was a joke

He said that they made a big setup change between the morning session and that this really paid off.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3136017)   #112
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I believe he joked the Audis were sandbagging.

Time gained came from a rather drastic set up change that worked perfectly!
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3136018)   #113
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
You could really see the Toyota smoking when downshifting, coasting into a corner. Did not look like low ride height/rubbing to me but not sure, seemed more like smoke from exhaust (running very rich?)
It looked to me that the rear was locking up. Perhaps they were running a very aggressive hybrid system in order to recover as much kinetic energy as possible.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3136023)   #114
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
It looked to me that the rear was locking up. Perhaps they were running a very aggressive hybrid system in order to recover as much kinetic energy as possible.

That did not occur to me... I didn't think the hybrid system could account for enough resistance to lock the rear up, mabey just their qualifying set up, could really be building up alot of heat. I'll have to watch the rear wheels closer, didn't even think of that.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3136025)   #115
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
That is just a theory. I could not see clearly whether the rear wheels actually locked up.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3136035)   #116
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Regardless, if they have this speed come tomorrow and stay reliable, they will be in good shape for the win. Glad to see Toyota on pole as well as Aston Martin in GTE pole. Just the teams I root for.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3136043)   #117
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I feel like the old guys aren't very happy to have Di Grassi with them!
Old 14 Sep 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3136066)   #118
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Why? He did a very good job in qualifying by beating Lotterer.

McNish seems happy with his new team mate. Of course that is all PR talk.
Quote:
Allan continued: "Lucas [di Grassi] had a fantastic qualifying session and did an extremely good job. He's a local hero and has fitted into the team extremely well with Tom and I. We knew we didn't have the outright pace in qualifying but the race is what we've been focusing all our efforts towards and have achieved a good race set-up".
source: http://endurance-info.com/version2/n...cus-13233.html
Old 14 Sep 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3136113)   #119
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
A quick calculation to determine how Toyota can win the race tomorrow.

During yesterday's long run (see here) Toyota did 27 laps in 40 minutes. That means that the race distance will be around 240 laps under normal conditions. This tweet from Wurz confirms that this estimate is accurate.

If Audi can do 52 min stint, they will need to do 6 fuel stops. If Toyota can only manage 40 min stints, they will need to do 8 fuel stops.

In Silverstone Toyota lost around 5-6 sec every fuel stop and a bit more every driver change. So Toyota will loose at least 30 sec compared to Audi because of their slower pit stops.

In Le Mans and Silverstone a fuel stop takes around 55 sec. So the two additional stops that Toyota has to make, will cost them another 110 sec.

So in total Toyota will loose around 140 sec in the pits. If we assume a race distance is 240 laps, Toyota has to gain 0.583 sec per lap on Audi.

You can see why Wurz says that they will have to drive flat out in order to win the race.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 07:02 (Ref:3136190)   #120
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That's the conclusion I came to as well. They'll have to be about half a second a lap faster per lap over the course of the race, or get some blessings from the safety car (hope they don't split them).
Old 15 Sep 2012, 08:37 (Ref:3136215)   #121
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
That's the conclusion I came to as well. They'll have to be about half a second a lap faster per lap over the course of the race, or get some blessings from the safety car (hope they don't split them).
Can certainly see the safety car coming into play again. It seems like too much of an ask for Toyota to win with this strategy. But it is certainly a fan-friendly one.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3136250)   #122
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And aside from P1 it seems that Toyota aren't struggling for straightline speed like at Silverstone--from session two onwards Toyota is competitive with Audi in top speed. It seems that Toyota may've pared downforce off their car because they knew that was a failing at Silverstone and to maximize passing opportunities down the straights.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3136253)   #123
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota fastest in the morning warm up. If times keep like this it could be a very close one!
Old 15 Sep 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3136258)   #124
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So forum calculations reckon the Toyota needs 0.5sec per lap. Trussers apparently thinks they will need 0.7.

Still think there will be an element of incident in this one with the narrower circuit and twisting infield. Let's see I can't wait!
Old 15 Sep 2012, 12:03 (Ref:3136260)   #125
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
So forum calculations reckon the Toyota needs 0.5sec per lap. Trussers apparently thinks they will need 0.7.
Can't see them getting a 0.5 second advantage lap after lap in traffic. On occasion yes, but not over the full 6 hours. Hope to stand corrected!