Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Dec 2003, 11:36 (Ref:818860)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stoddart Blames Government For Wilson's Predicament

Apparently Paul Stoddart is accusing the British Government of not back aspiring sports stars at grass roots level thus creating Justin Wilson's predicament...hmmmmm call me old fashioned but personally I'd like to see the tax money that's squeezed out of me paying for things like hospitals and roads that are safe and kids getting a good education..hell even going to uni without fees...but maybe that's naive
Old 23 Dec 2003, 11:43 (Ref:818868)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Paul, it is up to indsutry or commerce to support or sponsor our young talent. But even then, it has to be a commercial decision otherwise shareholders will ask questions.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 11:59 (Ref:818876)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Got a link to this Paul?
Old 23 Dec 2003, 12:01 (Ref:818878)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.pitpass.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=8231
Old 23 Dec 2003, 13:06 (Ref:818934)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ridiculous. Why the hell should the taxpayer subsidise a driver's career? I detest F1 seat buying, but sadly that's what its come to over a number of years now. If team owners have no alternative but to allow their sponsors to choose their drivers for them, this sort of thing will continue to happen. Very sad.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 13:14 (Ref:818946)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another missed occasio to shut up, by Mr Stoddart
Old 23 Dec 2003, 13:27 (Ref:818959)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe Pauls just annoyed that the British Government hasn't got the money to give him, so that he can have the driver he really wants?

The problem is of course, there are so many good drivers in Britian, where does the government draw the line?

Oh, and btw, Mr Sands....let the uni students pay their own way
Old 23 Dec 2003, 13:37 (Ref:818970)   #8
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it should be called Formula 1 for very much longer, it should be called Formula Corporate Puppet, that should please the Share Holders and justify where all there money is going, and just think of how many cheesie tie-in adverts there could be on TV! (how do you get those little winks up there should be one here!!!)
Old 23 Dec 2003, 13:58 (Ref:818999)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
:wink:
Old 23 Dec 2003, 14:02 (Ref:819002)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by TuscanR
(how do you get those little winks up there should be one here!!!)
you mean ? put ; ) together

(if i put them together i get a and then you won't see what to use )
Old 23 Dec 2003, 14:14 (Ref:819019)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
thank you Andy, I didn't know that either as you may have guessed by my abysmal effort above
Old 23 Dec 2003, 15:21 (Ref:819062)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Hey the British Government has got plenty to give..they take it all off me so I know

I wont get into the uni student thing further than to say if we are to expect a civilised and educated workforce maybe we should do a little more to encourage that.
Don't get me wrong I'm not in favour of hand outs for the sake of them, my elder kids are actually working to pay their fees and seem to be doing fine I just don't subscribe to the Thatcherite view that there is no such thing as society...and with that not another political word shall pass my lips and I will wish everybody a Very Merry Chrimbo (Oh Tennenbaum Oh Tennenbaum, we'll keep the red fl....ooops )
Old 23 Dec 2003, 15:23 (Ref:819066)   #13
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
and yes..if it happened for one driver where would it end??
potential argument for the lottery fund I suppose but the values being spoken of would cause a real sh*t storm when compared to how many local footy/rugby/cricket/ping pong clubs could be built
Old 23 Dec 2003, 15:28 (Ref:819068)   #14
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheers guys
Old 23 Dec 2003, 15:29 (Ref:819069)   #15
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No one rates Justin higher than I do
There is a reason for this...

Last edited by frostblade; 23 Dec 2003 at 15:30.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 17:49 (Ref:819197)   #16
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My views on this.

How many people in government regard F1 or even motor racing in general as a sport? I would guess it is very few, the perception of most people is that F1 is a multi billion dollar business, in which virtually every organisation and many individuals are multi-millionaires.

Convincing a sports minister to unlock his cheque book to add to those millions is a nigh on impossible task. Governments like to fund 'initiatives', which might be improving regional sports facilities,etc.

Even though you could argue that premier league football is as much of a business as F1, it has still maintained it's point of contact with it's audience, and would still be described by most people as a sport.

If we want to apportion blame, we have to consider some F1 teams commercial awareness and abilities. If you run a mid-grid Formula Ford team you fund this with 'pay drivers', usually a driver's father handing over the Ā£70K or so. This you would expect at this level, the team does not have the platform or skills to attract heavy, independent commercial backing.

However, it's plainly ridiculous to apply this same funding method to a Formula One team, which has a world wide marketing platform with X Billion LIVE TV viewers at it's finger tips, let alone the acres of global print coverage.

To use the football parallel, you couldn't buy a place in Man Utd's team, similarly if they 'wanted you' and considered you good enough to make their team, they wouldn't expect you to pay to play either.

This is where F1 falls at the first hurdle, you cannot on one hand, be the premier motor racing series that all aspire too, whilst choosing money over talent. You either need to cut the costs or raise more commercial sponsorship in order to choose the best talent for your team - or cut the cloth you have elsewhere to more effect.

However the new GPWC/SLEC agreement looks like teams will receive much more of the overall cake and make pure pay drivers less of a factor in the future.

In Justin's case, he only had one hand of cards to play, he never had two seasons worth of funding so his situation, whilst unfortunate, was always very likely.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 19:42 (Ref:819308)   #17
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
How is Justin Wilson an aspiring star at grass roots level?
Old 23 Dec 2003, 22:59 (Ref:819479)   #18
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the government needs to support ALL sports at grassroots, but they wont.

i think we need a revolution, i nominate myself for El Presidente.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 00:25 (Ref:819549)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer

How many people in government regard F1 or even motor racing in general as a sport? I would guess it is very few, the perception of most people is that F1 is a multi billion dollar business, in which virtually every organisation and many individuals are multi-millionaires.

Agreed on that, F1 is seen as an "elitest" sport, and such, played by "rich boys".

However, i personally would rather see the government spending money, if it's going to, on helping to improve Silverstone than sponsering (or subsidising) driver.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 00:45 (Ref:819567)   #20
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is not so corporate as you might suspect.
Kimi came from lowly if any financial background and is at mclaren pure for his skill.
The same goes for alonso, schuey, webber, rubens, trulli.. guys with no background but made the top.

Roebuck had an interesting article a while back about how he thought rich kids never make it and that pure talent will shine through and will be recognised by topteams.
His historic F1 knowledge goes back to almost at the start of F1 and he said no guys with with money ever got to be top of the line drivers.

Imo these days its not just money or skill, its also being somewhere at the right time, having the right manager and have a good dose of luck.

Wilson got a chance at jag and if he wouldv showed webber all corners of the track i seriously doubt he wouldnt be in the green car next season.
But he didnt, perhaps even by causes beyond his influence like stalling cars or partfailures but still.. he took that chance.

If i was him id go for a testdrive in a topteam. wurz, gene, pizzonia, panis all got respectable reputations from doing that.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 00:51 (Ref:819572)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If these people wish our government to fund up and coming drivers, perhaps they could assist by paying their taxes here instead of Monaco or Dublin. If you're not willing to contribute to the pot don't expect to take anything out.

Last edited by Woolley; 24 Dec 2003 at 00:51.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 00:51 (Ref:819573)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by mansellmania

Roebuck had an interesting article a while back about how he thought rich kids never make it and that pure talent will shine through and will be recognised by topteams.
Senna's talent shined through, but he was to all intents and purposes, a rich kid
Old 24 Dec 2003, 00:59 (Ref:819581)   #23
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Senna's talent shined through, but he was to all intents and purposes, a rich kid
yea i wasnt sure about senna, but he did kinda throw his whole life upside down and left brasil to spend time alone in the UK.
Berger once said he could never be as good as ayrton because of the hard regime and discipline the brasilian was putting himself under.
err, berger was a rich kid as well
good racer though.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 01:36 (Ref:819600)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isnt Stoddart taking US$4m from the Hungarian government to give Zsolt Baumgartner a gig?

Perhaps he is hoping to be gazumped by the British government to get Wilson a seat
Old 24 Dec 2003, 01:40 (Ref:819601)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
There in lies the problem, Zolst is hungarys only hope, Britian have a few more