Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Apr 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1889761)   #1
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT standardization?

The new GT3 class seems to be growing alot in popularity among European GT teams. The class has appeared in Belcar, British GT and FFSA so far (anywhere else?). The rapid growth of GT3 has me worried that European national GT championships are being standardized. Although I don't get any TV coverage, I have always enjoyed looking through the photo galleries and seeing the colorful variety of cars, new and old. The C5.Rs, old Vipers, the forbidden Bi-turbo 996s, Ultima GTRs, M3s, etc. I fear these diverse fields of cars that you can't see in the international series like FIA GT, LMS, and ALMS are being replaced by comparitively pedestrian machines such as the C6 GT3 cars, Porsche 997 cup cars, and the supremely-ugly Viper Competition Coupe. Is this the case? Hopefully VLN is spared. I imagine the large nurburgring circuit demands several classes in order to attract a large number of entries.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 15:09 (Ref:1889773)   #2
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscarsRULE
The new GT3 class seems to be growing alot in popularity among European GT teams. The class has appeared in Belcar, British GT and FFSA so far (anywhere else?). The rapid growth of GT3 has me worried that European national GT championships are being standardized. Although I don't get any TV coverage, I have always enjoyed looking through the photo galleries and seeing the colorful variety of cars, new and old. The C5.Rs, old Vipers, the forbidden Bi-turbo 996s, Ultima GTRs, M3s, etc. I fear these diverse fields of cars that you can't see in the international series like FIA GT, LMS, and ALMS are being replaced by comparitively pedestrian machines such as the C6 GT3 cars, Porsche 997 cup cars, and the supremely-ugly Viper Competition Coupe. Is this the case? Hopefully VLN is spared. I imagine the large nurburgring circuit demands several classes in order to attract a large number of entries.
Resistance is futile--you will be absorded into the collective--do not resist.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1889777)   #3
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I fear these diverse fields of cars that you can't see in the international series like FIA GT, LMS, and ALMS are being replaced by comparitively pedestrian machines such as the C6 GT3 cars, Porsche 997 cup cars, and the supremely-ugly Viper Competition Coupe.
Ehm, GT3 is more divers than most of the GT series out there, so I can't really see that as a point not to like them.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 15:30 (Ref:1889790)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see that any of the cars you mention have a future in international GT racing anyway. They've all been succeeded by new models by their manufacturers that are faster, handle better, etc etc.

These cars will filter back down to national racing such as VLN, Dutch Supercar, Britcar and so forth where they can be seen raced in diverse grids and regulations that accomodate them. Bring on club/national racing meets!
Old 12 Apr 2007, 15:49 (Ref:1889805)   #5
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in the States, GT3 racing is the Porsche Cup races that IMSA puts on. The next closesed would be the SCCA ITU / SPO, Super Toruing and Touring 1 claseses and the NASA Super Unlimted, Super Touring I & II classes.

Lots of OLD but great sports cars and NSACAR road race cars in the SCCA SPO and NASA SU classes.

The Speed World Challage cars are IMHO between the current GT1 and GT2 classes, but the races are only 50 min long for TV coverage and limits of on board fuel.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1889817)   #6
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You and me both. I was disapointed when Belcars killed off the big GT class.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1889844)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If it wasn't for GT3, British GT would be stuck with the same old 911's and a few oddities.

Now we have Astons, Vipers, Ascaris and the prospect of Jaguars and Gallardo's.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1889877)   #8
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
If it wasn't for GT3, British GT would be stuck with the same old 911's and a few oddities.

Now we have Astons, Vipers, Ascaris and the prospect of Jaguars and Gallardo's.
Yes, and with the likes of the 996, 360 and the Aero 8 and Mantis all ageing quite a lot now, the GT4 category brings yet more fresh air and new machinery to the series without a huge rise in costs.

Whilst I'm disappointed to lose some older variety, I believe the new wave of GT3's and GT4's are all looking quite refreshing.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1889887)   #9
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't know if i can trust the opinion of anyone who says the Viper is ugly... ;-)

pit
Old 12 Apr 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1889908)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper
i don't know if i can trust the opinion of anyone who says the Viper is ugly... ;-)

pit
The latest one does look a bit girly
Old 12 Apr 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1889925)   #11
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Here in the States, GT3 racing is the Porsche Cup races that IMSA puts on. The next closesed would be the SCCA ITU / SPO, Super Toruing and Touring 1 claseses and the NASA Super Unlimted, Super Touring I & II classes.

Lots of OLD but great sports cars and NSACAR road race cars in the SCCA SPO and NASA SU classes.

The Speed World Challage cars are IMHO between the current GT1 and GT2 classes, but the races are only 50 min long for TV coverage and limits of on board fuel.
It might be your opinion that they are between GT1 and GT2 but the reality is that they are very much closer to GT3
Old 12 Apr 2007, 19:03 (Ref:1889945)   #12
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
It might be your opinion that they are between GT1 and GT2 but the reality is that they are very much closer to GT3
Not even close. Several GT3 prepped 996s and the Aston Martins came over last year, after two races these teams quickly relized that WC is much different and much faster then european GT3. Up grades were made and these cars were quicker, but drivers were not use the "shoot out" type format of 50 min. racing.

The WC Corvettes and Vipers are closer to GT1 prepped cars( tube frame with carbon fiber bodies ) then GT3 race cars.

The WC 997s are blistering fast and light. I dont know how the new 997s compare to the GT2 or GT3 997s.

I also think that is part of the challange, not quite standarization of GT race cars. Which could be a good thing that they are not standardized.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1889972)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Pole for Speed GT at Sebring was 2.07, the quickest Viper 2.10.

GT1 pole was 1.57, GT2 pole 2.02

According to Mowlem (on his TV show last night!), the Aston had an almost standard engine before being given upgrades.

Last edited by JAG; 12 Apr 2007 at 19:33.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 20:13 (Ref:1889997)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Pole for Speed GT at Sebring was 2.07, the quickest Viper 2.10.

GT1 pole was 1.57, GT2 pole 2.02

According to Mowlem (on his TV show last night!), the Aston had an almost standard engine before being given upgrades.
Vipers and the Porsche teams sand bag the first race to avoid success wt penalties. WC racing is very political. Sometimes it is better to be consistaly 4th, no wt penalties and win and get wt penalties.

yes the GT2 cars are quicker the the WC cars, which are quicker the the european GT3 race cars.

WC are very differnt. Vettes and Vipers are closer build to GT1 cars, Engine differnt. GT1 P&M corvettes use 7 litter 605 bhp and WC Corvettes, use a 6 liter 550 BHP motor

I think your also seeing the differnt between the cars and "GT" standards, there So it is not always easy to compare.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 22:45 (Ref:1890063)   #15
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper

pit
The first-gen GTS-R was beautiful. However, the current Competition Coupe is hideous. The wide, flat nose and the huge rear overhang remind me of something that Grandma would drive to church, not a race car.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 23:59 (Ref:1890092)   #16
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
The first-gen GTS-R was beautiful. However, the current Competition Coupe is hideous. The wide, flat nose and the huge rear overhang remind me of something that Grandma would drive to church, not a race car.
In this case, form follows function, eh?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1890232)   #17
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
MSportUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a beast, but pretty it ain't... (clicky)

Old 13 Apr 2007, 17:08 (Ref:1890577)   #18
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I really cannot see that it is any better or worse than the car that preceeded it, both had weak and strong points.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1890602)   #19
pitviper
Racer

Now I didn't say the car was "pretty", did I? ;-) Certainly beastly, I'll give it that! Can't say it compares to the ORECA Vipers that preceeded it though... I agree...

pit

Old 13 Apr 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1890691)   #20
Mindspin13B
Racer

United States
ATL
Mindspin13B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is people's opinion of letting european GT3 cars run alongside the regular ALMS field?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1890697)   #21
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindspin13B
What is people's opinion of letting european GT3 cars run alongside the regular ALMS field?
NOT

American GT3 racing are the Porsche Cup races that IMSA puts on. Besides there are more then enough race seriese for these cars and drivers already.

PCA, Viper Racing League, SCCA, NASA all put on races for these class of cars.

With modifications the european GT3 cars might fit into the Speed World Challange GT races. http://www.world-challenge.com/
Old 16 Apr 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1893317)   #22
pitviper
Racer

actually, since there are only 3 classes running in the ALMS currently anyway, having GT2 and GT3 on the track together wouldn't neccessarily be a bad thing. The variety in GT3 makes is wonderful, and the cars certainly look the part...

pit
Old 16 Apr 2007, 20:30 (Ref:1893372)   #23
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would have been nice if it wasn't for the LMP1s/LMP2s. The difference in speed is simply too big in my opinion to throw the GT3's in there as well.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 20:45 (Ref:1893386)   #24
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Would have been nice if it wasn't for the LMP1s/LMP2s. The difference in speed is simply too big in my opinion to throw the GT3's in there as well.
I agree.

And GT3 cars tend to be driven by FIA C license racers, so skill level is much differnt too.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 22:37 (Ref:1893454)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Yeah, but ti would be cool at Sebring and maybe Petit to have a GT3 race the night before the event, maybe in the form of the SCCA shootout 50 min race. Just would have to stipulate, no racers in the feature (12 hours of Petit) could race a GT3 car to get some new talent a chance to be noticed. That would be assuming there was no conflict with schedules and teams could afford the trip costs which I'm sure would be a majority of the teams annual budget. But it is a great idea in theory.