Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jan 2004, 02:00 (Ref:842872)   #426
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick Huisman to Creation's Zytek.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 05:58 (Ref:842992)   #427
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
LMES : questions/answers after the press conference (most of the answers by Stéphane Ratel) : Jérôme Mugnier was there, and he posted the most significant things...

- telly : no Eurosport coverage ; LMES is looking for another satellite channel
- Le Manns in a championship : never !
- points : there will be points, winners overall, class winners, by event and for the championship, for cars and pilots as well
- entries for one event : no problem
- pits : there will be a very very very strict technical control of the car by ACO's technical board ; it will be very diificult for national championship cars to enter.

Ratel precises too that he will encourage FIA-GT runners to enter LMES too...

A important question about Supercars and the Maserati too... I posted it in the Maserati thread.

Last edited by Fab; 19 Jan 2004 at 06:03.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 06:08 (Ref:843003)   #428
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[
Yes, the Lister looks terrific, too. The airbox looks dramatic!

Can you say 936?
Old 19 Jan 2004, 06:20 (Ref:843011)   #429
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Sorry for the misunderstanding Rob. just to me u have always come across as more of a LMP fan than a GT fan.
We could ask, but I'll bet that most of us are pleased to see a race - a serie - with possibily FOUR races for ONE field : LMP1, LMP2, GTS, and GT.

And I can assure you that I follow EACH ONE with the same passion. I love them all. I love to see them together on the grid... and that why each curve is so passionating to watch : there's always a car passing another.

If you ask me, I couldn't say which one I like more : I want them all on the grid... and I can't wait to see the new GTS !
Old 19 Jan 2004, 07:34 (Ref:843032)   #430
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
We could ask, but I'll bet that most of us are pleased to see a race - a serie - with possibily FOUR races for ONE field : LMP1, LMP2, GTS, and GT.

And I can assure you that I follow EACH ONE with the same passion. I love them all. I love to see them together on the grid... and that why each curve is so passionating to watch : there's always a car passing another.
Here here, I would complete agree with you there Fab.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 21:56 (Ref:843208)   #431
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also enjoy ALL classes, especially when they are racing together.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 22:07 (Ref:843217)   #432
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saw this on DSC earlier this evening, K2 Engineering are planning to enter a Judd powered Pilbeam MP84/91 into the LMES.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:38 (Ref:843326)   #433
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Let me re phrase that, how many new "factory" or "works" LMP programmes are there at the moment? None as far as I know, GTS on the other hand,Aston Martin, Maserati, Lambourgini,(factory support from Joest) Saleen S7R. Thats just the new GTS programmes, not to mention the current factory operations.
Saleen, could you give me your definition of "works" and "factory" please. It seems these terms are used loosely. To me a factory effort is a team run and controlled by the factory with a car built by the factory. I have no idea what a works team would be, but I know there are teams like Joest that run an effort with a lot of backing and input from a factory like Audi. And then there are privateers that either buy a car from a major factory (like Champion buying an R8) or buy and develop a car from someone like Lola and use an engine builder like Judd. I do not see a lot of factory efforts in GT. Do you consider anything that comes from a recognized builder to be factory? Isn't Lola a factory? What about Judd?

Your thoughts?
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:48 (Ref:843343)   #434
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by SFonseca
Duncan Huisman, no?
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:48 (Ref:843344)   #435
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let me give a example, away from sportscars. Look at F1, Willams are a "works" team as they have a strong BMW presence in terms of the staff and have a extremely close working relationship with BMW. But at the same time they are not like the Ferrari F1 team where everything is built by Ferrari.

Theres a few factory teams in GTS/GT at the moment, heres a list of who I think is factory and who isnt.

Factory teams:

Maserati
Corvette Racing
Lister Racing
TVR
Morgan
Spyker Squadran

Works teams:
Reiter Engineering
AJR
Freisinger Motorsport
TMC(?)
Prodrive (Aston Martin)

As for Lola being a factory, yes they are and the same applies for Dallara and G Force and Dome, but the new Lola built cars may well be built and made by Lola but they are not run by the Lola factory.

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 19 Jan 2004 at 23:49.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 00:03 (Ref:843366)   #436
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Dyson would be a "works" Lola team. They have had a lot of involvement and colaboration with Lola in the EX257 cars. And Champion to then. As the R8 is a "factory" built car. Well heck, the ALMS is full of "works" teams!

I don't know Saleen. I can't say many of your so called "works" teams have a whole lot of involvement from the Factories. Not on a Williams BMW level anyways. Maybe they get a new engine mod, or a aero tweek. I just don't see what you have against privateers or teams that buy and race a Dallara or Lola. Certainly small factory teams like Panoz and Lister have their hands full with serious privateers with good machinery and sponsors or full blown factory efforts from names like VAG and Ferrari. To each their own I guess. But I will always like the variety of cars and teams in the LMP class and will appreciate the road inspired GT cars. Le Mans would never be the same without either class.

Last edited by jhansen; 20 Jan 2004 at 00:06.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 00:06 (Ref:843374)   #437
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah, Dyson dont get any factory support from Lola at the moment, certainly dont have any Lola personal on hand. People like AJR, Freisinger, etc receive BIG help from Porsche, ie they get lent factory Porsche drivers as well as guys from Porsches engine department to help them out. Dyson are a privateer outfit.

The only time Lola have given any real help in a "factory" or "works" involvement if u ask me is at LM 2001 and 2002 where they Hugh Chamberlin's operation was a full blown "works" MG team.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 00:19 (Ref:843393)   #438
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Furthermore, I think a good sign of the future for the LMP class is the teams that are entering the LMES for 2004. Such as: Veloqx, Rollcenter, Creation and Lister. All of these teams have had involvement with GT racing in the past. Yet they feel the confidence to enter the LMES in 2004. Ok, so they don’t have new cars, but they are dedicating time, personnel and monetary funds to the series for 2004. This could lead to new cars in the future, which is a good thing.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 01:56 (Ref:843473)   #439
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer all classes on the track at the same time as well. I would still follow an ALMS GT series if that's what it came to, but GTS cars as the top class would be a little hard to swallow. I remember hearing on motorsport mundial in '99 that FIA GT was having trouble with race attendance, crowds were having a hard time accepting GT2 cars as the premeire class.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 06:16 (Ref:843587)   #440
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by sportscarsRULE
I would still follow an ALMS GT series if that's what it came to
Yep, no problem, FIA-GT is absoloutely great to follow, to say one thing.

But as far as I have the possibility to have four categories in the same time on the field, I'll cheer this possibility.

Anf BTW, even if Sportcars-GT races are not touched by this, I'm bored with monotype races - IMHO of course. And sad that we're going to lose the Spyker this year at LM, and there's less fun in a "Porsche cup" than in a "GT-N/GT" race...
Old 20 Jan 2004, 07:31 (Ref:843606)   #441
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And sad that we're going to lose the Spyker this year at LM
YOU SAY WHAT ???
Old 20 Jan 2004, 08:47 (Ref:843663)   #442
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wout
YOU SAY WHAT ???
You're refering to a post I wrote here this morning...

It happends that Spyker had a derogation by ACO to enter in GT class at LM, because they didn't build the minimum of 25 cars. And Jérôme Mugnier seems positive on the fact that, Spyker having still not build the 25 cars (11 only ?), ACO's derogation falls, and they won't be allowed to enter the LM grid...

They still could be allowed to enter the LMES and ALMS series, but I cannot understand why, the rules beeing the same... maybe in GTS class ?

That's why I'd like to jave more precisions coming from Holland to be sure...

And there's nothing about it on Spyker'site...

Last edited by Fab; 20 Jan 2004 at 08:52.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 08:55 (Ref:843670)   #443
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
You're refering to a post I wrote here this morning...
I noticed and now I'm very depressed...

Spyker has built and delivered 22 cars in 2003 and they are planning to produce 40-50 cars this year.
I don't understand why they are not allowed to take part in the race this year, as they were allowed (although restricted) the last two years..

The people at Spyker were very positive about 2004 because it looked as they were loosing (some of) the penalty's they had before.. so I think it's all very strange..
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:16 (Ref:843760)   #444
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Spyker has built and delivered 22 cars in 2003 and they are planning to produce 40-50 cars this year.
ACO gave them a derogation last two years, waiting for 25 cars build and deliver... 22 is still not enough for ACO rules...

Quote:
I don't understand why they are not allowed to take part in the race this year, as they were allowed (although restricted) the last two years
ACO derogated, only for two years.

Quote:
The people at Spyker were very positive about 2004 because it looked as they were loosing (some of) the penalty's they had before.. so I think it's all very strange..
I hope that Jérôme Mugnier's wrong on that. What worried me is the fact that he seems to be so positive...

More : he says that Spyker announced to be back in 2005 ! That could confirm they won't be there in 2004.

How I'm disapointed !

Last edited by Fab; 20 Jan 2004 at 10:21.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:37 (Ref:843787)   #445
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Most important: they will be back, for sure.
And.. there's a lot of other great cars!
Old 20 Jan 2004, 11:54 (Ref:843894)   #446
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Theres a few factory teams in GTS/GT at the moment, heres a list of who I think is factory and who isnt.

Factory teams:

Maserati
Corvette Racing
Lister Racing
TVR
Morgan
Spyker Squadran

Works teams:
Reiter Engineering
AJR
Freisinger Motorsport
TMC(?)
Prodrive (Aston Martin)
I might be wrong, and Graham will put me right if I am, but I don't actually think the TVR team is a factory effort. It's a private team that has a bit of factory support, not direct from the manufacturer.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:36 (Ref:843941)   #447
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
You are absolutely correct about TVR. I believe even less works involvement in 2004. TMC were sponsored by the UK Ferrari importer but were not really a works team in any real sense, well resourced maybe but not a works team.

The Morgan that ran at Spa was a Factory entry but I believe the 2004 campaign relies on substantial private backing.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:56 (Ref:843966)   #448
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
I noticed and now I'm very depressed...

I don't understand why they are not allowed to take part in the race this year, as they were allowed (although restricted) the last two years..

Yes it is a big shame, and the Spykers were just beginning to get faster too. Still perhaps they will enter the car into this years Spa 24hrs?
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:10 (Ref:844132)   #449
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by SFonseca
Çonfirmed or rumour? I could not find it on his website .
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:12 (Ref:844135)   #450
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe his web isn´t well updated.