Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Aug 2010, 14:04 (Ref:2739391)   #1
aiwa
Rookie

aiwa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New LMP car being built

I found the following news snippet.

"we will finish our Le Mans long-distance vehicle at the beginning of of 2011. This open, two-seat Spider is propelled by a Fiat 1,4l T-jet turbo engine and has a total weight of 600 kg."

From my limited understanding of Le Mans regulations it does not make sense. Can the knowledgeable persons here help me out
Old 4 Aug 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2739401)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwa View Post
I found the following news snippet.

"we will finish our Le Mans long-distance vehicle at the beginning of of 2011. This open, two-seat Spider is propelled by a Fiat 1,4l T-jet turbo engine and has a total weight of 600 kg."

From my limited understanding of Le Mans regulations it does not make sense. Can the knowledgeable persons here help me out
Given your statement, as long as there is no translation errors, there is nothing stating this is a LMP. Just that it is capable of running Le Mans distances. It does not fit the rules at all.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2739436)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
it begs the question:
where did you find the snippet?
Old 4 Aug 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2739448)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah thats not even slightly inside the 2011 Le Mans rules
Old 4 Aug 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2739458)   #5
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, just because a 1,4l engine is under the maximum engine size, i would believe ACO would allow it (in any case as a marketing stunt), and the total weight of 600kg can be raised with ballast.
Though I'm sure that the car mentioned is a car equal to the Aquila CR1, to be driven in national Special Saloon Car Championships.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2739467)   #6
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is rather hard not knowing the full context. But the only thing I see in the snippet that raises any flags is the word 'jet'. I would venture that is a translation glitch and it is a 1.4L turbo engine in a 600kg chassis which at first blush does not seem outside the bounds. As has been pointed out, it can be ballasted up. Is this is a future P-2? Some hot production 1.4L turbo?

L.P.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2739471)   #7
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
It is rather hard not knowing the full context. But the only thing I see in the snippet that raises any flags is the word 'jet'. I would venture that is a translation glitch and it is a 1.4L turbo engine in a 600kg chassis which at first blush does not seem outside the bounds. As has been pointed out, it can be ballasted up. Is this is a future P-2? Some hot production 1.4L turbo? L.P.
"Jet" is just a FIAT term for most of their engines.

I wonder if Abarth has anything to do with it?
Old 4 Aug 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2739530)   #8
aiwa
Rookie

You have raised exactly my queries - 600Kgs would mean it is 300Kgs under weight limit to design 100 or 150 Kgs underweight might be appropriate. Would the design be more likely be a CN class car?

CTD is spot on it is likely to be the Fiat 1.4 T-jet engine as the car designers also develop engines for Abarth road cars - boasting 300bhp and over 300Nm of torque.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2739559)   #9
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the term is multi jet engines, and i think it is refering to the injection system
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2739565)   #10
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
I think the term is multi jet engines, and i think it is refering to the injection system
The T-jet system is similar to the solution in the Lancer Evo cars.
A small engine, with high compression fitted with twin turbos. One small charger, for low rpm's and one larger for high rpm's.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2739569)   #11
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
"Jet" is just a FIAT term for most of their engines.

I wonder if Abarth has anything to do with it?
And the T represents Turbo. This appears to be the same engine that is in the Bravo and the Grande Punto, neither of them could really be considered speed machines though...

Any idea where this snippet came from?
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2739574)   #12
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
And the T represents Turbo. This appears to be the same engine that is in the Bravo and the Grande Punto, neither of them could really be considered speed machines though...

Well, replace the two turbo's with larger ones (keeping the size difference), stripping the engine and make an almost complete rebuild, and then you actually could have a quite potential engine, especially if fitted with KERS.
Every time you think that a road car isn't a speed machine and "useless" in racing, just remember that the V6 engine in the 605 is the "same" (heavily modified) engine which has the speed record at La Sarthe!
Old 4 Aug 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2739592)   #13
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I asked too; unless the OP comes back with a straight answer I'd say it's a troll...
Old 5 Aug 2010, 08:21 (Ref:2739697)   #14
aiwa
Rookie

Sorry MGdavid do not know what a troll is other than a large nasty imaginary beast but I will link to source as soon as I can. Hopefully tomorrow.

Will also try to persuade the guys building the car to show us some concept pictures?
Old 5 Aug 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2739744)   #15
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The T-jet system is similar to the solution in the Lancer Evo cars.
A small engine, with high compression fitted with twin turbos. One small charger, for low rpm's and one larger for high rpm's.
The FPT 1.4 T-jet uses a single turbo, both in Fiats, Alfas and Abarths. It is however available with Multiair, but I don't know if that's allowed in racing?
Old 5 Aug 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2739799)   #16
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkh View Post
It is however available with Multiair, but I don't know if that's allowed in racing?
Under the current rules Multiair is not allowed because variable valve timing is not permitted.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2739893)   #17
aiwa
Rookie

LM Regs 5.4.1b
Quote:
Any device that allows the modification of the valve opening timing and/or lift is considered as variable valve timing.
This is authorised only for engines derived from a series production engine fitted with a variable valve timing system, and it must remain original.
The vehicle from which the engine originally comes must have a "Full type" road homologation and must be produced in a minimum of 200 units in 12 consecutive
months.
Thus a multiair engine would be allowed and Fiat/Abarth are surely selling a lot more than 200 units per year.

Last edited by aiwa; 5 Aug 2010 at 15:44.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2739998)   #18
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I doubt that it will be possible to produce 500 hp with the completely standard multiair valve train.