Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Feb 2020, 13:30 (Ref:3956939)   #176
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Sepang is this weekend, with 23 cars: 9 LMP2, 8 LMP3 and 6 GT3.

http://www.asianlemansseries.com/cal...ng/race-lineup
Old 16 Feb 2020, 02:27 (Ref:3957770)   #177
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I haven't watched it through yet, but it looks like there was an extended hold, or two, during the Sepang race for significant rainfall. I was suspicious about that after seeing that the run time for the full stream was about what you'd expect for a 6-hour, rather than a 4-hour race.

I held off, because I didn't want to rain on CCM's parade, and then it kind of slipped my mind. Anyway, I managed to do it, watching most all of the race from Tailem Bend, but the bad sign was how mentally tired I was afterward from, presumably, keeping track of where on the circuit the cars in shot were.

To give an idea, I'd say I feel I have to break up a lap at The Bend into 9 segments. The nearest parallel, Miller in Utah, I consider it adequate to split it into just 5 sections. Even the Nordschleife, I only separate into 10, and those are long enough that you don't have to keep track of them all at once. You know which one you're in, and the one or two that are coming up next. And as a final example, Le Mans, which has roughly the same number of corners as The Bend, I probably only see the need to recognize about 6 distinct sectors there.

I still just don't see The Bend as a great option for the WEC, with more cars, and more competitive classes. The back side of the course, as expected by the drivers, so it wasn't just me, was troublesome enough in the AsLMS, even with lower-class traffic that was, largely, fairly courteous about letting faster-class cars through where and when they could. And while the WEC doesn't have LMP3, the GTEs will corner better than the GT3s, making a harder time for the Prototypes to get by.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 11:09 (Ref:3969094)   #178
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The old non-spec P2 cars have been dropped in favor of more sub-trophy spec P2 cars, and The Bend has been axed in favor of Shanghai. No reason to ever follow this series again either then, got it

Last edited by Deleted; 7 Apr 2020 at 11:15.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 11:30 (Ref:3969097)   #179
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The old non-spec P2 cars have been dropped in favor of more sub-trophy spec P2 cars, and The Bend has been axed in favor of Shanghai. No reason to ever follow this series again either then, got it
OK - I'll bite

The older P2 car class were either ORECAs or Ligiers, were ageing, with engines difficult to source and expensive to rebuild. Some of these cars are already in historic race Series - in fact the Championship winning car (United Ligier JSP2) from Asian Le Mans Series in 2018/19 raced in the Masters Historic Legends Race at Monza, in full Asian LMS livery, just weeks later!

The Bend has been shelved for two reasons this coming season - One the timing of Chinese New Year, an essential matter for any Asian-based product to take account of, the other the reality that the additional expense of freighting to/ from Australia, and the additional travel costs fro the teams, would have been a significant issue for an industry that is REALLY going to struggle in the wake of COVID19.

If you aren't expecting other Series to adopt a similar strategy of cutting back on cost then you can expect to suffer significant further disappointment, or they can expect to see entries dematerialise!
Old 7 Apr 2020, 13:38 (Ref:3969118)   #180
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whether or not people would have actually continued to come with the old cars is irrelevant to me - well, largely irrelevant anyway. It's banning something out of competition even though they could still be there without actually causing issue to anyone which is the matter. Same is with the available models - yes in actuality what you got here was the old Oak and Oreca coupes and nothing else, but you could have also entered SMP or Dome or even HPD-ARX 04 if you wished. That might have happened, something you can't even dream of doing in the spec Oreca 07 land. Same goes for engines, yes they are ageing but Nissan was not the only choice. There could have been leeway given there to the specifications. Finally as for the historic usage, I will always go back to Saleen S7-R which was running in historics years before even winning Le Mans 24 Hours. Other great example is Oreca FLM09 of course

Obviously the point given for the effect of COVID-19 is justified - although it's still disappointment as it's own thing - but the Chinese new year break is something they could've avoided by not having the winter calendar altogether. Or more easily arranging the dates differently even in this format.

Now, the biggest tragedy here is that after the promising signs earlier on, this is a series could have been the last safe haven for old cars rejected by everyone else. This includes not only the old non-spec LMP2s but also the newer generation LMP1s. But no, they will be directed to trash bin after only brief amount of running, and what you will get instead is the likes of "Aurus"
Old 7 Apr 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3969165)   #181
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Whether or not people would have actually continued to come with the old cars is irrelevant to me - well, largely irrelevant anyway. It's banning something out of competition even though they could still be there without actually causing issue to anyone which is the matter.
The reality is that we had two cars by the end of the season.

If that were the case at the start of this season then there would be no auto-entry for LM (minimum full-season entry is 4 for that) and therefore no class
Old 7 Apr 2020, 18:05 (Ref:3969167)   #182
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Neither GG nor Chiana are wrong.

Chianas reasoning makes sense. I'll be honest, the lack of the old cars bothers me. And AsLMS is now just becoming an easy way for ELMS teams to go get an easy entry. And losing the Bend makes the circuit choices significantly worse. It's not a particularly interesting calendar as it is.

GGs posts really just explain why it's like that. It's correct...but it doesn't make the series more interesting again does it? AsLMS is really struggling to be interesting, at a time where WEC is over its peak, and ELMS is showing pros and cons - more cons than it used to show, but still has a lot of pros.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 19:46 (Ref:3969179)   #183
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
And AsLMS is now just becoming an easy way for ELMS teams to go get an easy entry.
Now we agree on something. You just forgot to mention that is the easiest path for wealthy ELMS to go get an entry. Those with tight budgets can't jump on the wagon. When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.
Old 8 Apr 2020, 10:24 (Ref:3969288)   #184
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
The reality is that we had two cars by the end of the season.

If that were the case at the start of this season then there would be no auto-entry for LM (minimum full-season entry is 4 for that) and therefore no class
The regulation which mandated the minimum numbers of cars for auto-entry never made any sense anyway. Let's face it, they could always change that if they really wanted, but they don't. They want the same exact stuff they have for any other championship and (as correctly pointed out) almost all of the teams will be Europeans trying to get easier auto entry than they would anywhere else.

When we think of the "old P2 cars", it would appear that many people seem to see these things as some ancient beings, from another time. Well, in a way it's true, as the age of non-spec and non-bop seems so distant now. However, if we discount the old Lolas, all of these last-gen LMP2 coupes - the ones eligible for ASLMS until now - were built in 2013-2015. 05, JSP2, BR01, ARX-04b, T128, S103. That's just a fraction before the spec regs came to force. Which means you have mere 5 year old cars here being thrown to junkyard as trash. Even less for most of the current generation LMP1 cars, 2 to 3 years! Meanwhile Oreca 07 will probably get a 15 year lifespan to please the pockets of Hughes de Chaunac later on - just as it was with Oreca FLM09 LMPC. Now, remember for example the old Reynard-Zytek-Gibson open tops which kept running year after year for well over a decade with minor modifications to meet the changing regulations? Can one compare the fate of those cars to Oreca 07 and it's rebadged 'cousins'? No, not really, the Zyteks kept evolving through the years and they had different packages available, not being identical year after year for same exact results. The Zyteks, along with the other P2 cars, we're in essence living things capable of change, not stale statues with fake mustaches in some of them.

Last edited by Deleted; 8 Apr 2020 at 10:44.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 22:33 (Ref:3995854)   #185
Deleted
Veteran

Speaking of "old cars" - in quotes since we are just talking about 5 year old chassis and engines here - the two SMP LMP2s are now being raced in Masters Endurance Legends historics. And here we have the Asian Le Mans, which, if it would have wanted, could have extended the life of non-spec LMP2s for the next x years with the potential cost and loss of... what was it, nothing? Yes I think that was it. In essence, prevented the historics of being the only place to go anymore, other than maybe Thunderhill.

Perhaps SMP could organize a series of their own for their rejected, bin-thrown LMP2s as well as LMP1 Dallaras?
Old 28 Oct 2020, 17:15 (Ref:4013571)   #186
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DSC has an article about ARC Bratislava getting a couple new Ginetta LMP3 cars! No announcements yet on where they will race, but they look pretty good in yellow. Also nice to see somebody with a car other than the Ligier or Duquense.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/1...tta-lmp3s.html
Old 28 Oct 2020, 20:55 (Ref:4013621)   #187
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exciting news. Hopefully they run those and are competitive.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 07:25 (Ref:4013666)   #188
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
2021 calendar switches from South East Asia to Yas Marina as COVID uncertainties bite

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/1...-for-2021.html
Old 29 Oct 2020, 13:24 (Ref:4013722)   #189
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
2021 calendar switches from South East Asia to Yas Marina as COVID uncertainties bite

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/1...-for-2021.html
I know this is a less than desirable situation, but I think this solution is pretty good out of the box thinking. I imagine it will help reduce costs this year by reducing travel, just hope teams are still interested.

Sounds like the series is trying to make the races have a different feel too:

Quote:
The new season will continue to be comprised of four x four hour races. The races will be run on two different layouts of the track, as well as combining night, day and twilight racing.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 14:14 (Ref:4013727)   #190
Deleted
Veteran

The old shortened V8 Supercars loop, which is what they probably mean here, was slightly less terrible than the regular GP layout, there was even some grass next to it

But the Bahrain "outer circuit oval" would've been something to see at least, especially since it's probably not ever going to return after the F1 2020 oneoff and return back to the boring regular layout

Last edited by Deleted; 29 Oct 2020 at 14:19.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 13:42 (Ref:4022882)   #191
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks like a Ginetta G61 will actually get a run in ALMS.
Hopefully competitive.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/1...d-fia-wec.html
Old 14 Dec 2020, 17:05 (Ref:4022930)   #192
krzysiek_aleks
Rookie

krzysiek_aleks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>ARC Bratislava
>competitive

I love them, but, yeah. Also with so many top teams in LMP3 it will be very hard for them for that.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 18:48 (Ref:4022947)   #193
Mike E
Veteran

Fair enough. They only need one decent driver to show its pace.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 19:40 (Ref:4022966)   #194
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek_aleks View Post
>ARC Bratislava
>competitive

I love them, but, yeah. Also with so many top teams in LMP3 it will be very hard for them for that.
Yes, but still glad to see the Ginetta with a team. I think it is a great looking P3 car, and i have always liked the teams liveries!
Old 16 Dec 2020, 08:04 (Ref:4023196)   #195
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Now we agree on something. You just forgot to mention that is the easiest path for wealthy ELMS to go get an entry. Those with tight budgets can't jump on the wagon. When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.
Absolutely my friend! Always has been, always will be.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 11:06 (Ref:4023402)   #196
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
36 cars.

7 P2's, 10 P3's, 19 GT3's

http://www.dailysportscar.com/wp-con...Entry-List.jpg

Nice and diverse field, Im sure the closer to Europe loation has helped massively as we have a lot of European teams running.

Interesting to see Walkenhorst listed after the mass cull of factory supported teams by BMW. While this is likely entirely a customer entry, it perhaps at least shows Walkenhorst still close to BMW after their IGTC run in 2020, eyes on that new M4 then!
Old 2 Feb 2021, 15:58 (Ref:4033054)   #197
Mike E
Veteran

Miro Konopka, Charlie Robertson and Tom Cloet in the ARC Bratislava Ginetta. Will be interesting to see what Robertson can do with it.

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/eq...rc-bratislava/
Old 2 Feb 2021, 16:37 (Ref:4033060)   #198
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Multiple additional teams confirm drivers - very few TBCs remaining with all known to be filled

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...irmations.html
Old 2 Feb 2021, 20:02 (Ref:4033104)   #199
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My lad should be there with Algarve Pro, assuming he can get there.....
Old 7 Feb 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4033813)   #200
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
My lad should be there with Algarve Pro, assuming he can get there.....
Well, he made it to Dubai.....