Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Aug 2020, 05:06 (Ref:3992625)   #151
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
In retrospect, yes, but on the face of it you'd have thought 2 of the cars could easily have been dragged. On the latter point, does Oulton have a curfew? I assume that no track action until 12pm was due to local constraints (presumably a church, usually seems to be that).
Nothing allowed before noon on Sundays; nothing allowed after 6.30pm on any day and nothing at all on an Easter Sunday - the weekend that this event usually takes place.
Old 3 Aug 2020, 07:18 (Ref:3992635)   #152
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Relax man its not a big deal. COVID only affects a tiny portion of the population. Thats been well known for a while now.

Saw British GT race on youtube..normally don't watch it but it was pretty good and I enjoyed it more than the ADAC GT Master event this weekend.

Do you wear a seat belt when you drive ? Fatal accidents are about 1700 pa , so hey , your chances are pretty low so just busk it , why not , you don't need that nanny state stuff now do you ? But you might like to reflect upon the fact that , so far in 2020 , we have had the equivalent of 26 YEARS of road deaths from Covid 19 .

Not a big deal ? Really? Good luck with that argument with 45 000 families ...
Old 3 Aug 2020, 07:49 (Ref:3992637)   #153
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
COVID only affects a tiny portion of the population.
So the control measures are working then?
Old 3 Aug 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3992659)   #154
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Relax man its not a big deal. COVID only affects a tiny portion of the population. Thats been well known for a while now.
Firstly. The irony of your username when commenting on COVID!

Secondly, relax? 2 reasons not to....firstly COVID affects us all....whether you are a symptomatic or die from it, if we let this virus get out of control it will affect us all directly or indirectly whether it’s through planned surgery, other health conditions, work, the economy or leisure.

Unfortunately with the images I saw from Sunday, if anyone from the government saw it, they wouldn’t hesitate to shut MSV down or ban spectators.

...so no, I won’t relax and no, it doesn’t affect a small proportion of the population.
Old 3 Aug 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3992671)   #155
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wouldn't bother trying to correct that poster. looks like a big enough numpty without any of us wasting our energy trying to teach him his a-b-c's.

the problem msv have with the spectator situation is that if they're not going to spunk a vast amount of money on wages for people to go around enforcing social distancing, they're going to have issues with compliance. and the more high profile the event, the more chance it comes to the attention of people who have the power to make things stop.

frankly i think we should be taking the european approach to face coverings at events to clear up any doubt - compulsory at all times, no matter how daft it might seem. makes policing and compliance that much easier.

as for the actual racing, i forgot how great the sound of a field of gt's is
Old 3 Aug 2020, 12:39 (Ref:3992688)   #156
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
indeed, was great to see. I cant wait for Donington too

one thing that's for sure is donington seems easier to manage COVID wise. when I was there for the masters meeting I was impressed by the things brought in by MSV, and with the viewing areas being a natural bowl, its easier for everyone to spread out and get a good view of the action from redgate to mcleans without standing along the fenceline
Old 3 Aug 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3992731)   #157
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's funny you should say that because i was more impressed with oulton! the only circuit i've been to so far to install brackets on "pull" doors in the bathroom and elsewhere so that you can use your forearm instead of your hand to open them.

worth mentioning that the staff at every circuit have been fantastic and have dealt with the new challenges of their job admirably.
Old 3 Aug 2020, 17:08 (Ref:3992746)   #158
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I have no idea what it looked like on telly . I was there from 11 to 5 and almost everybody behaved courteously and well . I had one hiccup - with some knuckle dragging idiot in a hoodie who was on the point of virtually brushing shoulders until I stood aside(silently wishing him to trip over his lower lip and break something).

I've been to Croft (as a helper ) , Cadwell and Donington so far and am impressed with the arrangements at all , but MSV especially has been exemplary.

An bloody hell , impressive though the GTS are, the pace of an F3 car through Old Hall is staggering .
Old 3 Aug 2020, 17:23 (Ref:3992749)   #159
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been to Brands and Oulton, the latter seemed much better (Brands didn't really have any set up, just people being sensible). Oulton was much, much busier and precautions seemed much better...but they've had about a month more of preparation compared to when I was at Brands.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Aug 2020, 09:15 (Ref:3992845)   #160
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Galleries for the first round of the 2020 British GT Championship at Oulton Park are now here to view.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums

My lens elf and I had got most of the way to Cascades on the outside of the track when we (err, I) realised we had not picked up the monopod for the "big" lens. So for the warm up and race 1, I was a bit more creative with the shorter zoom - hope you like it. Normal service - big bold shots of GT cars - largely resumed for race 2 !
Old 4 Aug 2020, 12:22 (Ref:3992890)   #161
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice photos DWH... I also clicked on the link to your 2008 Pikes Peak photos and am now jealous you got to see it still on dirt.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 12:39 (Ref:3992900)   #162
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
like the shorter lens stuff - adds more context to the cars, which is always nice at oulton because it's such a stunning place.

so far i think the #69 merc looks best from the front, the other ram racing merc from the side, all and any of the lambos from the back, and front corner on is the gt3 mclaren. very much enjoy the academy mustang, particularly the noise they make.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3992957)   #163
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
like the shorter lens stuff - adds more context to the cars, which is always nice at oulton because it's such a stunning place.

so far i think the #69 merc looks best from the front, the other ram racing merc from the side, all and any of the lambos from the back, and front corner on is the gt3 mclaren. very much enjoy the academy mustang, particularly the noise they make.
The livery on the Mustang is especially effective and the red / green highlights on the wheels look really good - which adds to the sound nicely.

The GT3 McLaren just looks a bit too big and almost non GT like to my eyes. Best livery is the WPI Lambo - the gold wheels just finish it off beautifully.

The GT4 Supra looked like it was running on loose surface rally suspension ...

All of which is in the eye of the beholder and IMHO only !
Old 4 Aug 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3992958)   #164
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Nice photos DWH... I also clicked on the link to your 2008 Pikes Peak photos and am now jealous you got to see it still on dirt.
Thanks - there will be an article on Pistonclick.com for Pikes Peak 2008 at some stage. Been a little delayed with the re-start of racing. It was impressive - quite a different event these days. Original plan for this summer was Mt Washington Race to the Clouds - sadly scuppered - along with IMSA Watkins Glen.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 00:09 (Ref:3993038)   #165
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
The GT4 Supra looked like it was running on loose surface rally suspension ...
Not just ride height either, the thing had some big sliding action going on. Certainly looks like they don't have any issue getting the back end rotated.

Interesting to see a comment from James Baldwin that Oulton wasn't a McLaren track, from qualifying onwards it seemed to me that they had a real advantage regardless of which team they were run by.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 06:07 (Ref:3993054)   #166
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Galleries for the first round of the 2020 British GT Championship at Oulton Park are now here to view.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums
F3 and Ginetta galleries added. Particularly pleased with some of the latter.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 06:25 (Ref:3993057)   #167
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Just like BTCC liveries, GT cars' paint jobs can look wonderful in pictures , but seen on track nearly all are a dog's dinner of mismatched colours and shapes .

I'd sentence the 'artists' responsible to a 24 hour viewing of a Brabham BT 52 , Lotus 79 or any recent Red Bull F1 car to see how it should be done .

But trivia like looks apart , I was very taken with the press on style with which the Mustang was driven , I thought the AMGs' awful looks are redeemed by its thunderous soundtrack , I was disappointed that the McLarens all sound so white noise but delighted that the Lamborghinis not only look amazing , but sound it too
Old 5 Aug 2020, 08:47 (Ref:3993073)   #168
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Interesting to see a comment from James Baldwin that Oulton wasn't a McLaren track, from qualifying onwards it seemed to me that they had a real advantage regardless of which team they were run by.
i think it’s worth pointing out that they had a real advantage in the hands of the ams in qualifying. put the pros in the cars and it was fairly open.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 13:15 (Ref:3998062)   #169
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
STELLAR debuting their Audi R8 GT3 at Brands, excited to see how it runs. Sennan Fielding should be an intersting one for pace
Old 27 Aug 2020, 11:27 (Ref:3998272)   #170
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
STELLAR debuting their Audi R8 GT3 at Brands, excited to see how it runs. Sennan Fielding should be an intersting one for pace
Beechdean also back with the Aston, but no Ferrari.

https://www.britishgt.com/images/res...2026.08.20.pdf

Last edited by Aysedasi; 27 Aug 2020 at 18:53.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 17:34 (Ref:3998361)   #171
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good to have Beachdean back, they really add to the championship
Old 28 Aug 2020, 07:39 (Ref:3998452)   #172
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Good to have Beachdean back, they really add to the championship
Indeed, they add a car, car crew and 2 drivers.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 08:58 (Ref:3998458)   #173
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And they are champions too, so it's not like they won't be competitive
Old 28 Aug 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3998489)   #174
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its just sad that because of Covid you have about 10 different championships all racing at the same time. I know it cant be helped, hope it wont be something that sticks around for next year.

Im interested to see how the Audi gets on, you'd think it should be pretty good around Brands Hatch. Its weird, other than Optimum a couple of years ago, no one fancied running the "new" shape Audi R8 in British GT
Old 28 Aug 2020, 12:20 (Ref:3998490)   #175
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's always some form of fixture congestion on summer weekends in any year, but this year was always going to be worse.

I'm just glad there are events we're being allowed to attend in person.