Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Sep 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3297847)   #2551
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
What changes are you seeing? I'm thinking these were still taken at the initial rollout.

For comparison the first pics here: http://press.porsche.com/media/galle...+LMP1+Rollout/
Old 2 Sep 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3297851)   #2552
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
lights seem have been increased a bit and frontal nose seems a bit larger. Anyway could be just an optical illusion.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3297852)   #2553
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
I have been looking closely at the pictures, but I still struggle to understand which element of the bodywork at the front-end is supposed to act as adjustable front wing/flap/wing profile (whatever it should be called) as now authorized under the 2014 rules.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3297864)   #2554
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ffzuja7-mk

Excited!
Old 2 Sep 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3297870)   #2555
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
"After 16 years, we once again want to be a works team in the top category with the LMP1 in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2014. It is also our aim to contest the entire WEC season", says Wolfgang Hatz, Member of the Executive Board Research and Development.

From the endurance info article.
Will definitely go to Spa 6 Hours next year! Was gutted I had to miss it this year, so hopefully Porsche's attendance will make up for that!
Old 2 Sep 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3297895)   #2556
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
It is the same video that was released last week in here, only now upped to the official Youtube channel.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3297907)   #2557
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
What changes are you seeing? I'm thinking these were still taken at the initial rollout.

For comparison the first pics here: http://press.porsche.com/media/galle...+LMP1+Rollout/
The car on the recent pictures is missing its head lights
Old 2 Sep 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3297911)   #2558
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The car on the recent pictures is missing its head lights
Throwback to the 962 in IMSA?
Old 2 Sep 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3297936)   #2559
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry if I have totally missed this,.....

Do we have a name or designation for this car yet?
Old 2 Sep 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3297937)   #2560
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato View Post

IMO it should be called the 918-LM
Old 2 Sep 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3297957)   #2561
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato View Post

No, in media it is referred only as "Porsche LMP1".

Last edited by deggis; 2 Sep 2013 at 18:58.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3297969)   #2562
deggis
Veteran

Finland
According to Autosport (or Porsche press, comments sound same than in E-I), it was a new test run at Weissach with some updates. Jani was driving.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109618
Old 2 Sep 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3297970)   #2563
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
IMO it should be called the 918-LM
It think that if they are using the same or very similar ERS on the 918 as the LMP1 then they might call it this. Or they may build this car and have it spawn a road car. So for propably its going to be some 9** designation.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3298041)   #2564
Weaver
Rookie

United States
Indy,IN
Weaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope y'all don't mind, I've lurked for years but posted very infrequently. I was an Indycar mechanic for 20 years before retiring. But for two glorious years I was the lead mechanic on the XM Sat Radio Acura ARX-01.

After listening to the video from Lausitzring, I remember something very similar at the Sebring open test in Feb. '08. The lead Penske 9R6 (Dumas & Bernhard) seemed to run exactly like the '07 car both days. The second car, during the afternoon sessions both days, sounded like it was running with a broken exhaust header. Shifting early, lower rpm ranges, on and off throttle in certain spots on track, we wondered why they ran the car so much with a header issue. I noticed after the sessions, the body work around the exhaust was covered in carbon, a lot more than normal. I asked one of my friends at Penske if they were trying to burn the car down. He told me he had no idea what was going on, Porsche engineers taking a lot of pictures and, inspecting the exhaust, the exhaust ports and valve stems.

After the next days afternoon session, one of our Japanese engineers, or "J"s, said that Porsche was testing the Direct Injection (DI) system. They were trying to "load" the combustion chamber without fully evacuating it at high rpms. Trying to "dirty up" the cylinder at the heat of the day. How does it effect the injection nozzle, valve seats, valve stem seals, ect. His opinion was that Direct Injection would not be a good setup for endurance engines that change operating temperatures drastically or do stop'n starts. Turn out he was wrong about that. I remember Penske have a few issues with DI, but they were straighten out alright.

Anyway, there will be 1000s of kilometers of teasing to come, and the Porsche at Lausitzring both sounded off and looked rather off the pace. I'm wondering if that was just an initial test of the DI setup.

I love sports car racing and LOVE Porsches (own 2 911s), and I'm looking forward to this program. If anyone wants to talk about the good ole days, just message me.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3298044)   #2565
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaver View Post

I love sports car racing and LOVE Porsches (own 2 911s), and I'm looking forward to this program. If anyone wants to talk about the good ole days, just message me.

Welcome Weaver. I think it would be rather good for talk about those days to be right here on the forum! Please feel free to start threads and pitch in - knowledge and experience is always a good thing to have - mixed in with the general surmise and guesswork that is customary in these parts.....
Old 2 Sep 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3298046)   #2566
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I would assume Direct Injection would be a given especially for fuel economy. Plus it was used in their last prototype.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3298085)   #2567
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
for two glorious years I was the lead mechanic on the XM Sat Radio Acura ARX-01.
This one???

Old 2 Sep 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3298129)   #2568
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hope y'all don't mind, I've lurked for years but posted very infrequently. I was an Indycar mechanic for 20 years before retiring. But for two glorious years I was the lead mechanic on the XM Sat Radio Acura ARX-01.
Welcome again Weaver. I always find it amusing and very interesting to hear stories from people that have been a part of motorsport. It doesn't hurt that you are also a Porsche fan.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3298136)   #2569
Weaver
Rookie

United States
Indy,IN
Weaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
This one???

Yup. That's the chassis. What a blast that was. I'll post some pics of us testing it a Putnam park with the original Courage platform.

Thank you all for the warm reception.

But I don't wanna hijack the thread. Many different reasons for Porsche to use DI. Most important, it relates to the street cars. This makes the board members happy.

With the Acura we tested three different types of "muffler" to get the decibel level down to IMSA/FIA regs. WEC follows the same regs when it comes to decibel level for gas engines, but with turbos, won't be an issue.

If it was March, I would be very interested in why the Porsche sounds so "off", why it seemed to be shifting out of range or geared incorrectly. But there is so much time til winter.

I hope there will be some video from Paul Ricard or Jerez.

Oh, and for the question of model designation, since the LMP2 car was the 9R6, it might be the 9R7,8, or 9 I bet.

Last edited by Weaver; 3 Sep 2013 at 00:35. Reason: Added "will be" to video sentence.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3298142)   #2570
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the insight Weaver, always great to hear from an expert.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 03:10 (Ref:3298169)   #2571
Tim240z
Rookie

United States
Tim240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yup. That's the chassis. What a blast that was. I'll post some pics of us testing it a Putnam park with the original Courage platform.

Thank you all for the warm reception.

But I don't wanna hijack the thread. Many different reasons for Porsche to use DI. Most important, it relates to the street cars. This makes the board members happy.

With the Acura we tested three different types of "muffler" to get the decibel level down to IMSA/FIA regs. WEC follows the same regs when it comes to decibel level for gas engines, but with turbos, won't be an issue.

If it was March, I would be very interested in why the Porsche sounds so "off", why it seemed to be shifting out of range or geared incorrectly. But there is so much time til winter.

I hope there will be some video from Paul Ricard or Jerez.

Oh, and for the question of model designation, since the LMP2 car was the 9R6, it might be the 9R7,8, or 9 I bet.

I hated when the mufflers went on those cars... they sounded so great at full song.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 06:26 (Ref:3298190)   #2572
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Further shots have been added to the endurance-info.com article:
look at the end part of the fin...Am I wrong or I see heavy photoshop?

it lacks a part of the fin and use the background barrier's colour..
Old 3 Sep 2013, 06:31 (Ref:3298193)   #2573
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthey View Post

No, the swan neck wing pillar is very long because the rear wing is set up very low.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3298275)   #2574
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthey View Post

Click on the picture and watch the big version. You can see the rearspoiler en red letters 'Porsche' (well my guess is that it reads that) on it.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 11:46 (Ref:3298290)   #2575
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes looking better I saw I misinterpreted the rear spoiler