Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 13 Aug 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1681661)   #51
Vanquish
Rookie

Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
Vanquish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
Think we realy need a dutch race next year
I really hope so too! I feel lucky to be living in Belgium because of it's central location. Therefore, I don't need to travel too far in case I want to catch a live-race. That's why I would like to keep the LMS races in Europe. That way I'm able to see most of the races live, caused it just ain't the same on TV... I have to hear the engines.

I'd also keep the German LMS at Nürburg. It's a nice track and I love to visit the circuit. I've seen 2 LMS races there and the circuit really seems suitable for enduro racing.

And like somebody mentioned in this thread, we get to see a lot of ALMS teams during the 24 Hours LeMans. Furthermore, the ALMS has a high quality grid and there are nice battles between Corvette and Aston Martin in GT1, but there just isn't enough competition in LMP1 and GT1 I'm afraid...

Best thing for me would be to get the ALMS teams to drive LMS in Europe. But that's a little selfish of me, huh?

Anyhow, the calender looks great for me. I wonder what the 6th round will be (well, in case there is one).
Old 14 Aug 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1682004)   #52
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
It's off-topic, but most of this thread generally is at the minute so I'll ask this anyway. Grand Am you say is pretty popular - what do it's real fans think of the DP's looks? It's been said a lot on this forum, and I personally agree, that DP's are amongst the ugliest racing cars around. Therefore they've certainly created a lot of controversial chat, but surely anyone will admit there are much better looking machines out there?

I ask this because part of the appeal of sportscar racing is the good looks. There are some stunning machines out there, which is one of the reasons why I really enjoy championships like the LMS, and would watch them over Grand Am machines any day.

I suppose I could make this on-topic and tie it in with the new coupe rules - as in who'll be running with them in '07, and who's thinking about it...?
Fans want to see sports car racing. Fans what to see Daytona Prototype or Prototype cars cars. Grand AM - is Professional Racing on a budget ( sic).

Rules makes dictated how the cars should look to a dregee, height, width and power plants. The engines, yes are race prep Porshce, BMW, Lexus ( Toyota / TRD) and slightly more then stock Corvette ( badged as Pontiac) engines.

The cars are good. Fast?? well on three circuits in the US that Grand-Am and ALMS run the Fastest Grand Am Daytona Prototypes and just a bit faster then the 3rd to 5th place GT2 cars. ALMS P1, P2 and GT1 cars would lap at 3 to5 secs faster. But then again ALMS is much higher dollar racing too.

ANd when your a pro driver, any race car that pays you will do
Old 14 Aug 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1682348)   #53
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found qualifing example:

Top LMP 2 car ( porsche RS Spyder ) 1:12.378

Top LPM1 car ( Lola B06/10-AER ) 1:13.091

Top GT1 car Aston Martin 1:18.8

The GT2 pole at Mid-Ohio was a lap of 1:22.638 this year.

The Grad-Am Daytona Prototype pole at Mid-Ohio was a lap of 1:20.202 this year. DPs have spec Hoosier tires though.

The Grand AM DP would have qualifed 14th over all, behind ALL the P1, P2 and GT1 cars

Ok Sorry about thread highjacking, back to your regular scheduled blog.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1682578)   #54
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I found the reading in this thread to be rather amusing and interesting, as it followed no specific path, but covered a lot of theoretical ground.

Jag, is his usual near eternal optimist, and Purist I find amazing thinking that quantity of race sites, is more important than a few qualtity races.

As to what LeMans is now, ask ten people and you will get probably at least five different answers.

The IMSA schedule should put Road America on Memorial Day.
This part of the country is extremely beautiful and fresh that time of year, rather than the tropic heat of mid to late summer, and anyone who wants to do more testing on their cars, could possibly enter the June sprints as some competitors used to do.
Any thing that did not fit a category ran as A sport racing.

Bob
Old 14 Aug 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1682682)   #55
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
BR, the quantity of events bit has to do with practicality. You will NOT maintain the presence of a series in the US in a serious way with just 6-8 events a year. Even 10-12 is on the edge. To really maintain presence over here in the shadow of open wheel and NASCAR, it would be good to have at least two races a month for March through October; that comes out to 16 races a season.

In Europe, it's quite a different picture. You have LMS with just five or six races, but you also have FIA GT, and several big national GT series plus a few national prototype series. Thus, Sportscar & GT maintains its exposure very well throughout the season, even though the LMS itself has so few races. Over here Speed GT and Trans-Am (only on life support atm) are not at a level to really support what the ALMS provides, and they aren't quite the same thing either, as the cars in those series are often rather different from those in ALMS' GT categories. Therefore, the ALMS MUST have a greater number of events to keep Sportscar & GT racing on the map in the US.

As to Memorial Day Weekend racing, it is too close to Le Mans Pre-Qualifying (or whatever they call that test session) to allow for ALMS teams to run at Elkart Lake and still have proper allowance for travel time.

Last edited by Purist; 14 Aug 2006 at 23:14.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1682696)   #56
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
As to Memorial Day Weekend racing, it is too close to Le Mans Pre-Qualifying (or whatever they call that test session) to allow for ALMS teams to run at Elkart Lake and still have proper allowance for travel time.
Well then that is their problem, or split the team, plus unless the entire IMSA grid has qualified for LeMans, I do not really see a problem.

As for the number of races; NASCAR is out of the equation, the France family started to set this up thirty years ago, and those who try to copy them fail miserably.
I have yet to see a road race series that truly profits from an increased number of races.
History has shown the problems for the sanction and teams with increased travel, and expenses, at the minimum, turns a high quality must see program, into a half-arsed sad folly.
Bob

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 14 Aug 2006 at 23:33.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 04:01 (Ref:1682811)   #57
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's more like FIA helped kill World Sportscar, and Japanese factory money killed IMSA GTP.

And the question remains Bob, how the heck else can you possibly keep the exposure/presence up for Sportscar throughout the season in the US without more events than there are now (a lot of people have painfully short memories)?! Sportscar needs to make some kind of a dent in the motorsports landscape over here if it is to reasonably sustain itself. Staying in the limelight more consistently is ESSENTIAL to doing that.

Yes, there is a problem with the Memorial Day plan. Note that a number of the teams that do cross the Atlantic don't have two cars (Peterson White Lightning). Splitting teams hurts entries in the series here for that race, and that is the last thing we should be doing for an event at a track like Road America.

Last edited by Purist; 15 Aug 2006 at 04:05.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 07:55 (Ref:1682932)   #58
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Well then that is their problem, or split the team, plus unless the entire IMSA grid has qualified for LeMans, I do not really see a problem.

As for the number of races; NASCAR is out of the equation, the France family started to set this up thirty years ago, and those who try to copy them fail miserably.
I have yet to see a road race series that truly profits from an increased number of races.
History has shown the problems for the sanction and teams with increased travel, and expenses, at the minimum, turns a high quality must see program, into a half-arsed sad folly.
Bob
How about a compromise? add two or three more events, but not enough to bump up costs too high. Or are ALMS teams at full-stretch with their budgets already?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1695996)   #59
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no F1 Spyker, please
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87751
Old 30 Aug 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1697454)   #60
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Could we see privateer Spykers?
Old 30 Aug 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1697494)   #61
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Now ..... thats an interesting question . Any idea of the cost of a Spyker GT2 car ? Is it more that a 430 or less that a 911 ?
Old 30 Aug 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1697506)   #62
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Could we see privateer Spykers?
Yes. In 2007 there should be at least three Spykers racing.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1697507)   #63
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
It will save them the trouble of figure out what a next generation Spyker should look like as they'll be bankrupt long before they have to worry about that.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1697523)   #64
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
Yes. In 2007 there should be at least three Spykers racing.
Why??
Old 30 Aug 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1697750)   #65
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Why not? It's a great looking car and with pro drivers it's a competative car.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1697759)   #66
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
A Ferrari or Porsche would always make more sense. Spyker has been at it all year using pro drivers only and they have still failed to make a lasting impression.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1697769)   #67
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In that case we can remove also other cars from the grid.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1697809)   #68
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R

And who the hell thought Assen would get a round?? Come on! It's hardly big enough for the MotoGP, how would a decent grid of LMS cars get on?
Hmm, then again, the ALMS races at Lime Rock....
No offense, but Assen is 2.8 miles long and has spent a ton of $$$ on renovations in recent years...

Exactly how "big" does a track have to be to "handle" the LMS in your opinion???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Aug 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1697813)   #69
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One other note...

Italy seems to be a total waste of time to me....The crowds were dismal at Monza the first two seasons...

Race someplace where crowds will show up for the event...like the Netherlands...

Or race at Brno.....

Old 30 Aug 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1697839)   #70
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
No offense, but Assen is 2.8 miles long and has spent a ton of $$$ on renovations in recent years...

Exactly how "big" does a track have to be to "handle" the LMS in your opinion???
They butchered the track and removed just under a mile from it; now it is rather pathetic compared to what it once was.
Kind of like if the took Road America and cut it in-half.
Bob
Old 30 Aug 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1697840)   #71
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
A Ferrari or Porsche would always make more sense. Spyker has been at it all year using pro drivers only and they have still failed to make a lasting impression.
On a very small scale budget compared to Ferrari and Porsche. What they do for a small company is impressive. They keep trying, so good luck to them!
Old 30 Aug 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1697844)   #72
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Competitive ?? It is getting there. Needs a better or more powerfull engine.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1697851)   #73
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
They butchered the track and removed just under a mile from it; now it is rather pathetic compared to what it once was.
Bob
Ouch. Road America is one of the finest tracks in the world. Just bring lots of brake pads.

Smallest track I have race on was 1.7miles or just under 3Km. Too small of a track. I dont like going to events on tracks smaller then 2.5 miles ~ 4.0 km
Old 30 Aug 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1697893)   #74
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bob
Maybe, but it's still 0.3 miles longer than Donington.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1697907)   #75
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Everything I've read about Assen has led me to believe that the facility could handle an LMS event...and the changes they made allegedly were to make the circuit more amenable to auto racing...

Supposedly, Champ Car is looking at possibly scheduling a race at Assen in the future....