Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Aug 2007, 18:21 (Ref:1991481)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans Series 2008

As we're hitting the tail end of the 2007 LMS season it's time to look ahead to 2008.

Some DSC news snippets:-

Currently 85 entries for the 2008 series, GT2 backmarkers seemingly have no chance!

A1 Ring could replace Nurburgring (please), Barcelona may be in for Valencia.

Will Audi enter at last with Joest?

How many customer 908's?
Old 18 Aug 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1991493)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
85!? These are probably not all full season entries?
Old 18 Aug 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1991537)   #3
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
afaik the A1 ring is abandoned with a large trench down the middle of the pit straight after mr red bull decided not to buy it.

barca for valencia - why bother with a race in spain where sportscars aren't really that big. donington would be far better.

audi with joest and private pugs - yes please!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 18 Aug 2007, 22:32 (Ref:1991579)   #4
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought A1-Ring had been destroyed after Red Bull did buy it, but their plans to turn it into a test track failed.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1992088)   #5
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
barca for valencia - why bother with a race in spain where sportscars aren't really that big. donington would be far better.
Agree with the Spain bit, but not Donington. We already have Silverstone in there, and last year's Donington round was a headache for all the teams, so it would be better to go to a country with a large sportscar following - if a Dutch round is out of the question, what about countries fairly near? Brno, anyone?
Old 19 Aug 2007, 16:34 (Ref:1992107)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Brno has problems drawing large crowds for WTCC, so I don't think LMS would be a sucess there.
Maybe they should change from Nürburgring to Lausitz-Ring. Would give the series a bit of Daytona-Flavor...
Old 19 Aug 2007, 17:43 (Ref:1992137)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Brno has problems drawing large crowds for WTCC, so I don't think LMS would be a sucess there.
What are their FIA GT crowds like?
Old 19 Aug 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1992140)   #8
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Video streaming like the Spa one would be great for the complete season ...
Timing should be improved, its updating to often from my point of view
Old 19 Aug 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1992158)   #9
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe they should change from Nürburgring to Lausitz-Ring. Would give the series a bit of Daytona-Flavor...
Good idea with Lausitz - didn't think of that one.

I reckon they should ditch monza and use mugello instead, its a far more interesting track.

As for spain - replace it with somewhere with a sportscar following as has been said. Denmark anyone? Get an Audi in there and have Tom make a guest appearance.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 19 Aug 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1992169)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
No suitable tracks in Denmark I fear. I think all Dansih tracks are short touring car circuits.
I wouldn't be oppossed to giving the UK a 2nd round, though. It's the homeland of a good number of teams and historically Great Britain had quite often hosted two SWC rounds at Silverstone and Brands Hatch. Noise days at Brands might be an insurmountable problem nowadays.
Or maybe a race in France? Of course, they have the Big One, but there's also a good number of French teams, so maybe a race at Dijon would make sense.

I am fine with Monza, though, as it has a lot of history and is a nice test for Le Mans. Same applies theoretically for Nürburgring, but I am not a fan of the current track.

Radical Idea: bring back the Le Mans revanche at the Norisring as an LMP-only sprint (200 Miles) race on DTM-saturday. Stands would be full there and maybe Audi would come out to play as it is their home track.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1992177)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Radical Idea: bring back the Le Mans revanche at the Norisring as an LMP-only sprint (200 Miles) race on DTM-saturday. Stands would be full there and maybe Audi would come out to play as it is their home track.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1992189)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Barcelona may be another joint weekend with Renault World Series which would be a step in the right direction.

Monza was much busier thank to this link up and Spa apparently had a 20,000+ attendance today.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 19:27 (Ref:1992205)   #13
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And have the GTs race alone too before the LMP race! Might attract some FIA-GT runners, who knows. Now that would be quite a weekend!
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1992275)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about Silverstone for a second UK round and Donington replaced by Rockingham - would be a little different and would give the "Daytona flavour".

BEL - Spa
GBR1 - Silverstone
GBR2 - Rockingham
GER - Lausitz (near to Berlin, another roval)
ITA - Monza
??? - ???

And as for the numbers, what about a GT and an (if needed) LMP sprint race on saturday? 50 mins each, each driver must appear in the car.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1992326)   #15
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Currently 85 entries for the 2008 series, GT2 backmarkers seemingly have no chance!
But do the organisers want Ferrari vs Porsche only or do they want Spyker, Panoz to give a more mixed field and more status

For some reason I think they prefer a Spyker over Porsche number X.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1992369)   #16
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
What about Silverstone for a second UK round and Donington replaced by Rockingham - would be a little different and would give the "Daytona flavour".

BEL - Spa
GBR1 - Silverstone
GBR2 - Rockingham
GER - Lausitz (near to Berlin, another roval)
ITA - Monza
??? - ???

And as for the numbers, what about a GT and an (if needed) LMP sprint race on saturday? 50 mins each, each driver must appear in the car.
Well, LMS was oversubscribed this year as well and afaik they never had the full field on any track, so I wouldn't be overly worried about that right now.

But maybe a split series is the long term solution, like in the 70s when they had the World Championship for Makes for the Group 5 cars and the Sportscar World Championship for the Group 6 cars.

While we're at it, here's my schedule:
April: Monza 1000k
May: Spa 1000k
June: free for Le Mans
July: Norisring (LMP-sprint 200Mil )
August: Silverstone 1000k
September: Season-ending 10hrs at Lausitz or the Rock including some night racing.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 04:55 (Ref:1992456)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Beat me to the punch, but yes, there are no suitable Danish tracks to my knowledge.

My schedule:
April: Monza 1000km
April/May: Brno 1000km
May: Spa 1000km
June: Le Mans Break
July: Norisring 500km (LMP)
August: Brands Hatch 1000km
September: Zandvoort 1000km (Assen is more of a bike track)

Just for argument's sake, if they ran in Spain, I'd go for Jerez. Mugello would be great for a second Italian round; Monza has history, and its one of a very few serious slipstreaming tracks left. I'm not sure if A1-Ring is operational or not, but Salzburgring should be. If they were to run in France, use Paul Ricard, without the chicane on the Mistral Straight.

The Rockingham roval is painfully tight; I'd prefer Valencia to it. For Lausitz, I'd really want them to run the Grand Prix circuit with oval Turn 1.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 05:44 (Ref:1992475)   #18
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I actually believe the present calendar is two thirds of what it should always be.

We have 4 traditional/classic circuits which are ideal for this type of racing. Monza, Spa, Nurburgring and Silverstone should, I believe, remain unaltered (and should occupy the same weekend each year).

The fly-away season finale appears not to have been a popular decision. Then again, finding an acceptable fifth (and sixth?) circuit in Europe has proved very difficult.

I'm really not sure what's for the best, but I'd be very interested to know the consensus from the team's themselves.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 06:57 (Ref:1992502)   #19
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the 4 trad/classic races.

Why not have a French round on the Bugatti Circuit at LM????

And not have a race 2 weeks after the big one, btw.

How many races does the series need? 5 at most, Prototypes are expensive to run and the only reason there are full grids is that with a limited number of rounds most of the teams can get a budget together. Add too many or fly away rounds and the series will end up with 30 car (or less) grids like ALMS. Or even more teams dropping out after 1 or 2 races or only appearing for their favourite or local races.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 16:28 (Ref:1992892)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
But do the organisers want Ferrari vs Porsche only or do they want Spyker, Panoz to give a more mixed field and more status

For some reason I think they prefer a Spyker over Porsche number X.
Maybe more GT1's.

Looks like no LNT Panoz' next season unless Panoz develop the car.

Last edited by JAG; 20 Aug 2007 at 16:32.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1992899)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I actually believe the present calendar is two thirds of what it should always be.

We have 4 traditional/classic circuits which are ideal for this type of racing. Monza, Spa, Nurburgring and Silverstone should, I believe, remain unaltered (and should occupy the same weekend each year).

The fly-away season finale appears not to have been a popular decision. Then again, finding an acceptable fifth (and sixth?) circuit in Europe has proved very difficult.

I'm really not sure what's for the best, but I'd be very interested to know the consensus from the team's themselves.
Brazil looks like it could be a success, maybe a round in Japan, especially if the series is heavily over subscribed.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1992900)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03

Besides the 4 classic 1000 km events 2 or 3 500 km races?
Old 20 Aug 2007, 17:28 (Ref:1992934)   #23
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Looks like no LNT Panoz' next season unless Panoz develop the car.
Is it a Team LNT statement?
Old 20 Aug 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1992989)   #24
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jag where did the 85 possible entrants come from? (I can't seem to find that reference)

L.P.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 19:18 (Ref:1993010)   #25
Ebi
Rookie

Malta
Malta
Ebi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
Is it a Team LNT statement?
yes, the team owner him self said that during a live interview during the race at spa