Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1415415)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Done For Turning Up, Dan!

By turning a lap in practice at the Glen, Dan Wheldon has an unassailable lead in the championship, and clinches his first IRL title, beating his champion team-mate in the process. Congratulations Dan, but the way he's clinched it is not only very unsatisfying, but also calls into further question the entire validity of a systme when you get so many points just for turning up and consistantly finishing in the minor points. I'm sure any points system you could think of, from 10-6-4-3-2-1 to 20-16-14-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1, would either make Dan champion already or leave him with a huge lead, but I'm sure those systems would give a more representative championship order.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:18 (Ref:1416552)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Understandable point Boots, but the problem is due to the fact of having a very speciale race, INDY500, where 33 entrants race, and the last gets one point.
Therefore the 20-22th of a regular round cannot get less than 13-14 points.

In any case it's true that not only does such a points system make it difficult to catch up, but also to conquer a large gap.
Thus, if Dan was in such a large advantage over the runner-up, it means he dominated the season much more than the standing say.
I mean, with a different point system his point lead would have been way stronger.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:21 (Ref:1416554)   #3
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Dan a pretty dominent season from him and he really deserved this championship. Well done Dan.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1417239)   #4
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dominated from the word go. Fully deserves the champ, shame not enough people kow what he has done and the record he has broke along the way.

Well done Danny boy!!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1417432)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But you shouldn't get points just for turning up. In any case, finishing from (I think) 21st down gives you the same number of points. I might try and work out the standings under an alternate system tomorrow if I get some time, but I'm sure climb is right. Congratulations on a fantastic championship Dan, and if you do get into F1 with Williams as has been rumoured, good luck.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1418153)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Dan Wheldon:

The only way you know when a Formula 1 team is serious is when they ask your weight and your height because they want to know if you can fit in the same car as your teammate. One team has done that.
SpeedTV article.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 00:24 (Ref:1419516)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been watching the IRL on and off this year and seeing Wheldon win the title just for turning up at Watkins Glen is a huge anti-climax.

Seems to me like they need two points systems, one for the 500 and another for the regular season.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1419942)   #8
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
I've been watching the IRL on and off this year and seeing Wheldon win the title just for turning up at Watkins Glen is a huge anti-climax.

Seems to me like they need two points systems, one for the 500 and another for the regular season.
That seems pretty sensible to me. After all there's only one race a year where they get a more competitve 33 car grid so why not give it a special points system. I'm sure Tony George could talk himself into introducing that.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1419957)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar

He still had to wait until the race was past the point of being declared an official race before he actually clinched it.

Also, one does not win titles by finishing far down the grid, so what the points payout far down the order looks like is a moot point IMHO.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1420938)   #10
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you work that out Rusty? If the race had been called off there would only be one race left, so no chance of anyone overhauling his existing lead.

The full points schedule always makes a difference - flawless seasons like Kanaan's last year are very rare, and the difference between retiring early and retiring late can be a difference of several points - decisive in a close season.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1420987)   #11
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
How do you work that out Rusty? If the race had been called off there would only be one race left, so no chance of anyone overhauling his existing lead.
Well, first off, even if the race had been cancelled for some strange reason I'm 100% sure the IRL would have rescheduled it for a later date.

And since the race did get underway, as I fully expected it to, he wouldn't officially clinch it until it got declared an official race. Silly nitpicking to the extreme, perhaps, but I just felt like posting something after Silk Cut Jaguar's complaint about the "anti-climax" when Wheldon had been firmly in command for quite some time and had all-but won it for several races before Watkins Glen.

Last edited by macdaddy; 1 Oct 2005 at 20:18.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1421755)   #12
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why did he have to wait til lap 31 to actually clinch the championship...?
I don't seem to remember a rule where they had to complete at least half the race to receive credit for starting the race...
Old 2 Oct 2005, 04:50 (Ref:1421887)   #13
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the race wasn't official until halfway through. If the race had to be stopped before lap 31 and they could never continue it, it wouldn't have counted.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 06:04 (Ref:1421898)   #14
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i knew that....i swear....i was just testing you all